By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Ipad Pro more Powerful than Xbox One

Trumpstyle said:

I think you messed up the quotes, most of those aren't mine. Only the top 2 are mines. About first teraflops, I didn't bring it up it was the other dude. And about the fortnite comparison, the switch clearly wins overall proving it has higher sustained gpu performance, but ofc only slightly. Yes iphone X won resolution but it was very minor (something like 3% more pixels) as switch only supports 720p.

Yep. I did screw up the quotes. I was in a rush at the time.

Soundwave said:

You can also watch the NBA2K19 demo ... it looks pretty damn close to the PS4/XB1S versions.

Never made the claim that it didn't.

Soundwave said:

So it's not just "a stripped down version that they're running at almost 4K resolution", it's pretty much the same game being run at almost 4K resolution at 60 frames per second.

It definitely looks better than the Switch version. This isn't like your Fortnite example at all, it would be like Fortnite if the iOS version looked like the PS4/XB1 version at a full 60 fps + anti-aliasing + 2.5x higher resolution than the base XBox One S model.

The point I am trying to convey is simple.
There is more to graphics than just resolution and framerate. - You need a proper top to bottom analysis of the entire rendering pipeline to see which one is fundamentally superior at a technical level.

Soundwave said:

Beating or matching the XBox One S is significant, it likely means a whole new class of games are theoretically possibly on a mobile chip that runs off battery power.

Not really. The Xbox One S is derived from GPU hardware that released in 2012. - And it wasn't even the fastest hardware available... The Radeon 5850 can beat it... And that is 2009 hardware. (Also not the fastest.)
AMD's Jaguar came out in 2013... And is an iterative update to Bobcat which dropped in 2011.

Perhaps I am not just as easily impressed by mobile chips being able to beat out such archaic, mid-range/low-end hardware?

Soundwave said:

Unfortunately Apple probably won't ease their game size restrictions, but there are other implications, like Nvidia probably is not far behind or at all behind, they could probably give Nintendo a chip of this caliber by next year or 2020 certainly. That's where things get interesting.

nVidia could do it now. - Maybe not on the CPU front, but certainly on the GPU front.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

It better be as strong, considering that thing will probably cost twice or three times the price lol

Well one was a partly outdated piece of hardware when it released for €400 (+ kinect), the other is a new state of the art tablet which costs €1.000-. I would be shocked if it was not.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Seems to have crazy performance for a device under 500 grams.

But the iPad Pro 10.5 already had crazy performance compared to my good old iPad Air 1. I'll probably try to get a used or refurbished iPad Pro 10.5'' / 256 GB now for €500 - €600 instead of a new iPad Pro 11'' / 256 GB for over €1000.

Performance difference aside there aren't many improvements to the 10.5'' (almost same size, weight, resolution, camera, battery capacity, both 4 GB RAM, 120 Hz True Tone displays, 4 speakers...) and I don't want to lose the home button, the headphone jack and a rectangular display (don't like the rounded display edges of the new iPad Pro).

Last edited by Conina - on 03 November 2018

Conina said:

Seems to have crazy performance for a device under 500 grams.

But the iPad Pro 10.5 already had crazy performance compared to my good old iPad Air 1. I'll probably try to get a used or refurbished iPad Pro 10.5'' / 256 GB now for €500 - €600 instead of a new iPad Pro 11'' / 256 GB for over €1000.

Performance difference aside there aren't many improvements to the 10.5'' (almost same size, weight, resolution, camera, battery capacity, both 4 GB RAM, 120 Hz True Tone displays, 4 speakers...) and I don't want to lose the home button, the headphone jack and a rectangular display (don't like the rounded display edges of the new iPad Pro).

Can't wait for Anandtech detailed analysis. 

Personally, I can't stand the home button on my iPad anymore. Face ID is much more convenient. I think the major advantage these Pros have is the location of the smart-connector and the magnets on the back of the device, the old location made the connector dumb, it just doesn't allow for much flexibility for third parties to make cool accessories like keyboards and such. Not buying one anytime soon though.

Around the Network

GPU Conclusion

So is the iPad Pro an Xbox One S class of GPU?

Likely it is. The Xbox One S is only slightly quicker than the original Xbox One launched in 2013, and that console would struggle to achieve 1080p in games of that vintage. The Vega iGPU in the Ryzen 7 2700U offers more theoretical FLOPS than the Xbox One S, although at a higher TDP of 15-Watts, compared to the iPad Pro. In the synthetic tests, the iPad Pro scored higher than the Vega GPU, albeit at a lower precision, but regardless, there’s little doubt that the GPU in the iPad Pro is quite powerful. Add in the efficiency and the lower TDP, and results are even stronger. On the sustained performance run, the iPad was averaging just under 8 Watts of draw for the entire device.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13661/the-2018-apple-ipad-pro-11-inch-review/6

teamsilent13 said:

No because RAM.

The top tier Ipad pro has 6GB of RAM and runs a considerably more optimized OS with very little overhead. I don't think RAM is as much of a limiting factor there.

What might be more interesting than the Xbox one s claim though, is that the ipad pro performs on par with the the 15'' macbook pros according to geekbench.

That would in theory make the 2000$ pricetag more justifiable, since at least powerwise it could be a full-on laptop replacement, but since it is hampered by IOS not having a proper file system and Apples refusal to put MacOS on the Ipad, it is a whole lot of wasted power.

LurkerJ said:

GPU Conclusion

Likely it is. The Xbox One S is only slightly quicker than the original Xbox One launched in 2013, and that console would struggle to achieve 1080p in games of that vintage. The Vega iGPU in the Ryzen 7 2700U offers more theoretical FLOPS than the Xbox One S, although at a higher TDP of 15-Watts, compared to the iPad Pro. In the synthetic tests, the iPad Pro scored higher than the Vega GPU, albeit at a lower precision, but regardless, there’s little doubt that the GPU in the iPad Pro is quite powerful. Add in the efficiency and the lower TDP, and results are even stronger. On the sustained performance run, the iPad was averaging just under 8 Watts of draw for the entire device.

Loool at anandtech, xbox one severely outperforms the 2700u, the 2700u get an average of 20fps in witcher 3 at lowest settings with resoluation at 720p. Anandtech need to get a clue.

https://youtu.be/Am7gzmMuaGI?t=175

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:
LurkerJ said:

GPU Conclusion

Loool at anandtech, xbox one severely outperforms the 2700u, the 2700u get an average of 20fps in witcher 3 at lowest settings with resoluation at 720p. Anandtech need to get a clue.

https://youtu.be/Am7gzmMuaGI?t=175

The 2700u isn't specifically optimized for a game that way the XBox One GPU will be for any port it gets, PC versions of a game have to run on a broader scope of machines, so the 2700u could likely perform a ways better than that if you had The Witcher 3 guys make a version expressly for that chip. 

And the iPad Pro doubled the 2700u in the Aztec Ruins graphics test. 

As an aside, the iPad Pro running at only 8 watts to get this level of performance is remarkable, that means it actually runs at a lower power consumption than the Switch which I believe consumes 9 watts in portable mode, despite having a waaaaay bigger 11-inch screen that runs at a way higher resolution. 

This thing is definitely 3-5x better than the Tegra X1 in the Switch and runs at a lower power consumption to boot ... meaning you could throw this chip into a Switch and run PS4/XB1 quality games at 720p undocked AND have better battery life without increasing the size of the battery. That is incredible. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 04 December 2018