By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New Ipad Pro more Powerful than Xbox One

Pemalite said:
Trumpstyle said:

Now you say that this new ipad pro model is twice as fast as the old one putting it about 6x of snapdragon 820/821 and you say this device has 410-520 gigaflops, so you are saying this new ipad pro has 2460-3120 gigaflops (6x410 and 6x520).

LOL

Where you got source that snapdragon calculates in fp32? From what I know it's fp16 but I can't find source on either.

Yeah, nah. Flops doesn't equate to a GPU's complete performance.

Trumpstyle said:

But we know from digitalfoundries fortnite analysis that switch in handheld mode beats the iphone X

The iPhone X actually beats the Switch in a few areas in that game. I.E. Resolution.
However... The Switch has lower overheads than the iPhone, the iPhone X's hardware is actually superior, especially in areas such as memory bandwidth, CPU. Etc'.

Trumpstyle said:

If that iPad is running that game at 60 fps, at 5.6 million pixels (2732x2048 resolution) .... that's waaaaaaaaaaaay past the XBox One's 1080p and Switch at 720p (undocked).

...You aren't getting it. More to graphics and performance than just resolution and framerate.

It's all well and good to promote big resolution and framerate numbers... But if it has compromised shadows, texturing, lighting, simplified geometry, physics and so on... Then it's going to present an inferior image overall.

Trumpstyle said:

That's impressive. The GeekBench scores on the CPU are freaking beastly too, the CPU destroys the PS4/XB1 and goes toe to toe with Intel i7s, it probably isn't a stretch accounting for all that the GPU is pretty solid.

Depends on the i7. - But that is certainly a bold claim... One that needs to be empirically proven across a slew of benchmarks rather than a few cherry picked results that leverage the chip in the best light.

Trumpstyle said:

I think this chip is easily 3x the Tegra X1 that's in the Switch (it is 3 1/2 years newer tech on a radically smaller 7nm node). If you put this chip into a Switch and let devs code right down to the metal, I think just about every PS4/XB1 game would doable on it, especially at a 720p resolution for undocked.

Beating the Switch isn't exactly an achievement though.
Nor is beating the base Xbox One for that matter... Keep in mind of how archaic that graphics architecture is.

I think you messed up the quotes, most of those aren't mine. Only the top 2 are mines. About first teraflops, I didn't bring it up it was the other dude. And about the fortnite comparison, the switch clearly wins overall proving it has higher sustained gpu performance, but ofc only slightly. Yes iphone X won resolution but it was very minor (something like 3% more pixels) as switch only supports 720p.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
Why do companys get away with lying like this?

Are apple really saying its FP32 is more than 1.3 Tflops ?
because I seriously doubt a tablet has that.

We don't know the flops for apple devices, but I made a post about this before. We know the huawei mate 20 have 489 gigaflops and this ipad pro will have about 4x the gpu performance compared to the huawei mate 20. This obviously means the ipad pro does indeed have a very high gigaflops number, probably between 1000-2000 gigaflops. Ofc this won't be sustainable gpu performance. Hopefully digitalfoundry will do an analysis of that basketball game nba so we can get an idea. But I'm guessing it will be less than half of xbox one s.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

sounds great until i know its an apple product.

rather have a gaming laptop for the price they charge for a couple $100 more. and not stuck on a shitty charge for everything app store.

rather stick with my switch for portability.

Soundwave said:
That NBA 2K19 demo was running at full Retina resolution which is 5.6 million pixels .... that's more than 2.5x 1080p resolution .... so it was rendering the game at 60 fps at a resolution way beyond an XBox One S. Not quite 4K resolution, but not far off.

I think their claim might be correct, that GPU must have some serious grunt underneath it to be able to pull that off. The CPU totally destroys the XB1S or PS4 CPUs.

If it can run NBA 2K19 at that resoution, I think there's a good chance it can run just about any other XBox One S game at a much lower resolution of 900p-1080p (which is where most XB1S games are rendered at).

Despite the pretty graphics, you are getting a massively watered down version of the game compared to what is on console.  As far as I can tell, it doesn't have the My League or My GM modes present in the console games.  (Meanwhile, the Nintendo Switch version, which can also be played portably has all of the features present in the Xbox One and PS4 versions):

Our biggest frustration with NBA 2K19 is the onscreen controls and its lack of options. Annoyingly, you can’t enlarge the virtual joysticks and buttons this year, and there’s no option to use past control schemes like the one in NBA 2K16. Of course, if you have the hardware, you can use a physical controller, but it doesn’t solve the problem of the game’s fixed default controller layout.

The in-game presentation of NBA 2K19 hasn’t changed a bit, meaning it’s still thin and occasionally buggy. You can’t replay portions of any game you play in — a huge omission for a sports title, if we’re being honest.

The voice acting is a copy-and-paste job from last year and can get repetitive quickly. Worse still, the audio commentary will sometimes drop out altogether during matches. Commentary featuring TV analyst Doris Burke, in particular, disappears after a few phrases.

And while it sure looks better and more accurate than its predecessor, the weird texture issues from last year that appear on players wearing compression shirts under their jerseys, frustratingly, also carry over. Coaches remain an afterthought in the graphics department, though their character models are not as awful at higher graphics settings.

Finally, there’s the MyCareer mode, which is a big deal for the console and PC releases of NBA 2K19, though it has been watered down in the mobile version.

The narrative is good at establishing a purpose for playing through the opening chapters. But without cutscenes and spoken dialogue to push the journey along, this MyCareer experience feels hollow and less than engaging. Oh well, there’s always local multiplayer and Challenge mode to sink our time into.

https://www.revu.com.ph/2018/10/nba-2k19-mobile-ios-android-review/

Pemalite said:
Trumpstyle said:

Now you say that this new ipad pro model is twice as fast as the old one putting it about 6x of snapdragon 820/821 and you say this device has 410-520 gigaflops, so you are saying this new ipad pro has 2460-3120 gigaflops (6x410 and 6x520).

LOL

Where you got source that snapdragon calculates in fp32? From what I know it's fp16 but I can't find source on either.

Yeah, nah. Flops doesn't equate to a GPU's complete performance.

Trumpstyle said:

But we know from digitalfoundries fortnite analysis that switch in handheld mode beats the iphone X

The iPhone X actually beats the Switch in a few areas in that game. I.E. Resolution.
However... The Switch has lower overheads than the iPhone, the iPhone X's hardware is actually superior, especially in areas such as memory bandwidth, CPU. Etc'.

Trumpstyle said:

If that iPad is running that game at 60 fps, at 5.6 million pixels (2732x2048 resolution) .... that's waaaaaaaaaaaay past the XBox One's 1080p and Switch at 720p (undocked).

...You aren't getting it. More to graphics and performance than just resolution and framerate.

It's all well and good to promote big resolution and framerate numbers... But if it has compromised shadows, texturing, lighting, simplified geometry, physics and so on... Then it's going to present an inferior image overall.

Trumpstyle said:

That's impressive. The GeekBench scores on the CPU are freaking beastly too, the CPU destroys the PS4/XB1 and goes toe to toe with Intel i7s, it probably isn't a stretch accounting for all that the GPU is pretty solid.

Depends on the i7. - But that is certainly a bold claim... One that needs to be empirically proven across a slew of benchmarks rather than a few cherry picked results that leverage the chip in the best light.

Trumpstyle said:

I think this chip is easily 3x the Tegra X1 that's in the Switch (it is 3 1/2 years newer tech on a radically smaller 7nm node). If you put this chip into a Switch and let devs code right down to the metal, I think just about every PS4/XB1 game would doable on it, especially at a 720p resolution for undocked.

Beating the Switch isn't exactly an achievement though.
Nor is beating the base Xbox One for that matter... Keep in mind of how archaic that graphics architecture is.

JRPGfan said:

In terms of Graphics performance:
Switch = ~393 Gflops (docked)
Xbox One = 1,310 Gflops (this is the non-S version, the weakest Xbox)

No. That is in terms of FLOPS. Not graphics performance. Learn the difference.

Soundwave said:

It doesn't just beat the Switch version in graphics ... it destroys it. 

60 frames per second at 2732x2048 resolution is double the frame rate of the Switch version and almost SIX times the resolution/pixels (undocked). 

Again. Resolution and Framerate isn't everything.

The iPhone X version of Fortnite for example runs at a much higher resolution than the Switch. - But the Switch version is graphically superior.
Funny how that works, huh?

It's also rather ironic that resolution only became a more prominent issue during the 8th gen...

You can also watch the NBA2K19 demo ... it looks pretty damn close to the PS4/XB1S versions.

So it's not just "a stripped down version that they're running at almost 4K resolution", it's pretty much the same game being run at almost 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. 

It definitely looks better than the Switch version. This isn't like your Fortnite example at all, it would be like Fortnite if the iOS version looked like the PS4/XB1 version at a full 60 fps + anti-aliasing + 2.5x higher resolution than the base XBox One S model. 

Beating or matching the XBox One S is significant, it likely means a whole new class of games are theoretically possibly on a mobile chip that runs off battery power. Unfortunately Apple probably won't ease their game size restrictions, but there are other implications, like Nvidia probably is not far behind or at all behind, they could probably give Nintendo a chip of this caliber by next year or 2020 certainly. That's where things get interesting. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 02 November 2018

Around the Network

That's irrelevant because nobody uses an iPad the same way as a home console. Very sad Apple.

But......makes me wonder if Apple's trying to take a jab at Microsoft because Microsoft's Surface products doing well, and all Apple can compare it to is MS 5 year old home console that doesn't even function the same, rather than comparing it to MS's Surface Pro tablet? lol

I don't understand why people underestimate Apple and others ability to make money off a new market. If mobile class chips are starting to meet and exceed console current console specs then its only a matter of time before they monetize it. They can easily make a handheld base on this chip set with an app store dedicated to console games (its not like people are not used to downloading games GBs at a time).

V-r0cK said:
That's irrelevant because nobody uses an iPad the same way as a home console. Very sad Apple.

But......makes me wonder if Apple's trying to take a jab at Microsoft because Microsoft's Surface products doing well, and all Apple can compare it to is MS 5 year old home console that doesn't even function the same, rather than comparing it to MS's Surface Pro tablet? lol

Pretty sure this Apple A12X chip handily outperforms what's in a Surface tablet. That's why they're comparing it to full blown lap tops and game consoles ... the point is "it's not just a tablet processor", they want people to understand that this is a performance class above that. 

Now whether or not anyone really needs that much power in a tablet is debatable, but the chip being impressive is not. 

It probably could be put into MacBook Pro laptops honestly, I think the hold up there is they need that x86 compatibility for now, but a lot of tech sites are saying Apple is eventually planning to just use their own chips even in laptops/Macs and phase out AMD/Intel entirely. 

A12X is turning heads. Who cares about games lol. That photoshop demo was delicious to watch. Can't wait to see Affinity photo on it.

People start changing the subject a lot don't they? The question at hand is, "Is the iPad Pro as fast as an Xbox One?

Answer is, yes pretty much. iPad pro GPU is 3x faster than the iPhone X GPU, so it isn't that surprising. Weird to see all these "I doubt it", "they're lying" "it throttles" "can't game on an ipad". Yeah none of that is the topic. They're not lying, technology moves forward, with 7nm and a more expensive price, they have tripled the GPU speed vs what you could buy in mobile 2 months ago. Tablets don't throttle much compared to phones. And I won't buy an iPad and won't game on the iPad, but clearly nVidia can match Apple's GPU (but not their CPU), so it does set a new ceiling for mobile GPU performance. Xbox One is in reach this year, never mind next year.

Also I've seen these weird comments multiple times, about why is Apple comparing to the old Xbox instead of the Microsoft Surface? That should be obvious. The Xbox One has a much more powerful GPU than the Surface. No point in comparing the iPad GPU vs the Surface GPU, because they aren't even in the same league. iPad GPU is multiple times faster. Apple also just added all the nVidia type features, the memory compression and the tessellation engine.

I really wish nVidia or AMD or even Intel would bring the same excitement. Apple's silicon is moving ahead much faster than the other companies, largely because the cellphone business is so competitive and brutal. Think about it, the new Macbook Air has half the multi-core speed of the iPad Pro... I'd much rather have the iPad pro running Mac OS X than buy a Macbook.

Last edited by Alistair - on 02 November 2018