By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president: More focus on Online play, DLC for existing games, and no more new game announcements left for 2018

Was anyone thinking they'd announce new games for 2018 still?

Signature goes here!

Around the Network

As long as their games have a lot of content day one and don't hold back content, i'm cool with that.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
As long as their games have a lot of content day one and don't hold back content, i'm cool with that.

Ya, I generally love how they have done DLC, namely for Mario Kart 8. So hopefully more of that. 

I read that the free update characters they added to Mario Tennis can only be unlocked by playing the online with a subscription, is that true?

Don't want offline content locked behind an online subscription. Hope they add to the online subscriptions values in other ways and don't repeat this.

Edit: yeah... Birdo, Shy Guy, Petey Pirhana and Parakoopa are all locked behind the online subscription. "These players may be acquired by playing Mario Tennis Aces’ online multiplayer;" .https://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2018/9/13/17857496/mario-tennis-aces-update-new-characters-multiplayer-co-op

It's not a game I'd ever play online, so not keen on this approach to getting people to subscribe. So hope there isn't more of this coming as they focus on online.

Last edited by Barkley - on 30 October 2018

Sounds fine by me. Especially the "more genres and diverse games" part.

Around the Network
Barkley said:

I read that the free update characters they added to Mario Tennis can only be unlocked by playing the online with a subscription, is that true?

Don't want offline content locked behind an online subscription. Hope they add to the online subscriptions values in other ways and don't repeat this.

Edit: yeah... Birdo, Shy Guy, Petey Pirhana and Parakoopa are all locked behind the online subscription. "These players may be acquired by playing Mario Tennis Aces’ online multiplayer;" .https://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2018/9/13/17857496/mario-tennis-aces-update-new-characters-multiplayer-co-op

It's not a game I'd ever play online, so not keen on this approach to getting people to subscribe. So hope there isn't more of this coming as they focus on online.

You could have gotten them before the online went up. Or did they not drop until online subs started. I thought they were before, but I don't have game so haven't paid much attention.

irstupid said:
Barkley said:

You could have gotten them before the online went up. Or did they not drop until online subs started. I thought they were before, but I don't have game so haven't paid much attention.

The update that added these 4 characters came out the exact same day as online subscriptions. September 19th. So yeah... If the online subscription didn't exist this wouldn't be behind any paywall, would just be a free update like Splatoon got. xD.

Does sting a little missing out on 4 characters. Just hope nothing like this happens with smash Bros.

Looks like more online focus for Nintendo -- congrats Nintendo, welcome to 2006 :)

More DLC make most sense for Mario Kart and Splatoon 2, we will get new 3D Mario and new 3D Zelda, so I dont think there is need for DLC for them.

Miyamotoo said:
More DLC make most sense for Mario Kart and Splatoon 2, we will get new 3D Mario and new 3D Zelda, so I dont think there is need for DLC for them.

Odyssey could have worked if it released within the first year, but I think it's too late now, may as well just hold off till the next game. Hope we get some more Mario Kart content, im even looking forward to Mario Kart Tour. Don't think we'll get any new tracks for mk8 unfortunately