By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president: More focus on Online play, DLC for existing games, and no more new game announcements left for 2018

Barkley said:

I read that the free update characters they added to Mario Tennis can only be unlocked by playing the online with a subscription, is that true?

Don't want offline content locked behind an online subscription. Hope they add to the online subscriptions values in other ways and don't repeat this.

Edit: yeah... Birdo, Shy Guy, Petey Pirhana and Parakoopa are all locked behind the online subscription. "These players may be acquired by playing Mario Tennis Aces’ online multiplayer;" .https://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2018/9/13/17857496/mario-tennis-aces-update-new-characters-multiplayer-co-op

It's not a game I'd ever play online, so not keen on this approach to getting people to subscribe. So hope there isn't more of this coming as they focus on online.

You get them a month early by participating in online tournaments, the characters gets added for everyone else after each monthly online tournament ends. There were a couple of characters like that before the subscription. 

Around the Network
ARamdomGamer said:
Barkley said:

I read that the free update characters they added to Mario Tennis can only be unlocked by playing the online with a subscription, is that true?

Don't want offline content locked behind an online subscription. Hope they add to the online subscriptions values in other ways and don't repeat this.

Edit: yeah... Birdo, Shy Guy, Petey Pirhana and Parakoopa are all locked behind the online subscription. "These players may be acquired by playing Mario Tennis Aces’ online multiplayer;" .https://www.polygon.com/nintendo-switch/2018/9/13/17857496/mario-tennis-aces-update-new-characters-multiplayer-co-op

It's not a game I'd ever play online, so not keen on this approach to getting people to subscribe. So hope there isn't more of this coming as they focus on online.

You get them a month early by participating in online tournaments, the characters gets added for everyone else after each monthly online tournament ends. There were a couple of characters like that before the subscription. 

Oh thanks for the info. That's awesome then, don't have any issue with it. 

Soundwave said:
Looks like more online focus for Nintendo -- congrats Nintendo, welcome to 2006 :)

Nintendo usually does get around to established industry standards.  What's a decade here or there?  Still, expanding their profile to include more types of content probably began on the Wii U, to differing levels of success.  

I still believe that the old Nintendo guard thought that stuff like the internet in gaming was just a fad.

So far their DLC - both free and paid - has been really good, barring a few hiccups. So that's cool.

More genre diversity is awesome. Nintendo already brings a lot of diversity to the table so I am interested to see what this means for old IPs being revived and new ones made.

Nintendo pls make Kid Icarus Uprising 2, it will help your genre diversity.

Around the Network
Acevil said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
As long as their games have a lot of content day one and don't hold back content, i'm cool with that.

Ya, I generally love how they have done DLC, namely for Mario Kart 8. So hopefully more of that. 

Mario Kart 8 is the best example of consumer-friendly DLC that I could think of. The content was reasonably significant, and priced fair.  They weren't simply trying to milk the hardcore fans like so many Publishers so often do.

The Witcher 3 is another good example. There was truly significant, extremely good quality content, sold at a fair price. 

sounds like less games to play unless you pay to play online.

C'mon Nintendo, more free dlc for MK8 deluxe please.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Online has a lot of issues that are a nightmare for Nintendo. So it took them a while, understandably..

Online, for the longest time, was very exclusive. Also, for the younger crowd, there was a safety issue. Also, I guess Nintendo wanted to focus on local multiplayer, which is their bread and butter.

I still think their online doesn't have all that it needed to have. And as a result, they will eventually scale it back, and go back to a local focus..

But the the only big game that hasn't already had DLC is MK8 Deluxe, unless you really want to count the Labo stuff. While I wouldn't complain if they added more tracks, I'd prefer Mario Kart 9.