By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo president: More focus on Online play, DLC for existing games, and no more new game announcements left for 2018

I could go for more BOTW-DLC. I think they are skipping Super Mario Odyssey so they can go straight to Odyssey 2. Hope they don't go overboard with online-functionality

Around the Network

One reason why I thought the rumoured Star Fox GP game would be real was because it fits with Nintendo's desire to keep expanding their online multiplayer range. Animal Crossing will presumably make a big push with online options on Switch next year, Pokemon gen 8 is an obvious one for online functionality, and Luigi's Mansion 3 might feature some online multiplayer given the 3DS game did.

It's difficult to think about what else they could bring out - there's older franchises like Wave Race and F Zero, but they don't sell in big numbers and wouldn't necessarily result in a wider audience playing online. Perhaps if Nintendo took the Tomodachi series online? Some new IP?

Soundwave said:
Looks like more online focus for Nintendo -- congrats Nintendo, welcome to 2006 :)

Whoa, so pre Obamacare and pre housing bubble burst days? *Cannot compute...

Boo to online, booooo! I like online play, but paid dlc can get stuffed and I'm not in love with subscription services either.

No more games in 2018, no duh....but where's tge quote? I assume he was answering an investor question?

pokoko said:
Soundwave said:
Looks like more online focus for Nintendo -- congrats Nintendo, welcome to 2006 :)

Nintendo usually does get around to established industry standards.  What's a decade here or there?  Still, expanding their profile to include more types of content probably began on the Wii U, to differing levels of success.  

I still believe that the old Nintendo guard thought that stuff like the internet in gaming was just a fad.

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the spectrum, AAA publishers continue doubling down on their belief that there is no need for single player/off-line games anymore.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
pokoko said:

Nintendo usually does get around to established industry standards.  What's a decade here or there?  Still, expanding their profile to include more types of content probably began on the Wii U, to differing levels of success.  

I still believe that the old Nintendo guard thought that stuff like the internet in gaming was just a fad.

Meanwhile, on the opposite end of the spectrum, AAA publishers continue doubling down on their belief that there is no need for single player/off-line games anymore.

Some of the best-selling games of the year are single-player focused.  

pokoko said:
Mandalore76 said:

Some of the best-selling games of the year are single-player focused.  

I know, and I'm thankful for that, because those games are proving those publishers wrong.

More online => what happened today in the smash direct: please buy an ethernet adapter for a stable online connection. It's 2018 and your company is selling a damn hybrid that will be used portable. Are you kidding me?

Teno said:
More online => what happened today in the smash direct: please buy an ethernet adapter for a stable online connection. It's 2018 and your company is selling a damn hybrid that will be used portable. Are you kidding me?

The device itself doesn't matter, wired will always be better than wireless. The valid complaint here is why the Switch dock doesn't have an ethernet port already.

Lonely_Dolphin said:
Teno said:

The device itself doesn't matter, wired will always be better than wireless. The valid complaint here is why the Switch dock doesn't have an ethernet port already.

The valid complaint is that there isn't dedicated servers.