By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September NPD 2018 thread, results up! PS4 421K; NSW 259K; XB1 176K; 3DS 81K

Let me know you feedback, would you like those threads to be a thing?

yes 46 93.88%

no 3 6.12%

Total:49
Ryng_Tolu said:
Alright, let's talk about interesting things.
Super Smash Bros Brawl sold 2.7 million units back in March 2008. At that time Wii had an install base of 8.08 million units.
Right now Switch is over 7.11 million units in the US, and iwith November+October, there is no way Switch won't have a bigger install base during Ultimate launch.

To this, add the fact that most Nintendo series had a very big boost in performance, just look at Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, AND, the hype for Ultimate looks by far bigger than any others Smash games at launch.

Oh, and of course, 5 weeks of December VS 5 weeks of March...

It's absolutely insane to expect Ultimate to sell less than the 2.7 million Brawl did at launch.

Yeah, I think we talking about 3m+ for first month, also there couple of points why Ultimate will great, game has huge hype, its launching at beginning of month, and in easily most biggest month of year for Nintendo.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
MasonADC said:
If Mario Odyssey did 900k in the short time span it did, on such a small install base, Smash will destroy 2 million in December.

The only thing that could affect it is the bundle. IDK if the digital codes are counted, and if they are they'll be counted as sales in November??? Idk. But yeah other then that it should smash 2.2m NPD.

Nintendo e Shop codes aren't counted in the NPD either way, I'm sure Nintendo will update the full sales numbers in a press release

MasonADC said:
Barkley said:

The only thing that could affect it is the bundle. IDK if the digital codes are counted, and if they are they'll be counted as sales in November??? Idk. But yeah other then that it should smash 2.2m NPD.

Nintendo e Shop codes aren't counted in the NPD either way, I'm sure Nintendo will update the full sales numbers in a press release

If not January 25-31st where they release the Q3 Financials. 

Ryng_Tolu said:
TheBlackNaruto said:

Didn't SPM just basically tie it? What was Halo 3 back then? Wasn't it like 3.3 Million in the US alone?

It didn't xD

The "between 2.6m to 3.3m estimate" comes from the fact that Benji, an insidier, said that the launch of Spiderman was closer to Halo 3 (3.3 million) than God of War (1.9 million) there you get the 2.6 million as minimum... it can't be 3.3 million tho, it has to be less than that.

Ahhhhhhh okay gotcha. That makes sense.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23

Ryng_Tolu said:
Super Smash Bros Brawl sold 2.7 million units back in March 2008. At that time Wii had an install base of 8.08 million units.
Right now Switch is over 7.11 million units in the US, and iwith November+October, there is no way Switch won't have a bigger install base during Ultimate launch.

To this, add the fact that most Nintendo series had a very big boost in performance, just look at Odyssey and Breath of the Wild, AND, the hype for Ultimate looks by far bigger than any others Smash games at launch.

It's absolutely insane to expect Ultimate to sell less than the 2.7 million Brawl did at launch.

it's not insane at all. you are comparing it with brawl, which released over a decade ago, and didn't have mario kart, or pokemon  as competition, and it was insanely hot wii. a better comparison would be 3ds/wiiu sales combined for the months released and they don't even come close.

Around the Network
PortisheadBiscuit said:
quickrick said:

Man you been on the hyperbole  the whole year.

Lmao, that would be YOU actually.

as from the cliff thing, which admit ok, by ryan has been going about how switch would destroy ps4 for a long time, he even made the comment in JAN, he wouldn't b surprised if it outsold xb/ps4 combined. he even lost a bet to me, even with a extra week of sales factored in for switch. 

Last edited by quickrick - on 25 October 2018

quickrick said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

it's not insane at all. you are comparing it with brawl, which released over a decade ago, and didn't have mario kart, or pokemon  as competition, and it was insanely hot wii. a better comparison would be 3ds/wiiu sales combined for the

Umm Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii released less than 2 months apart vs Mario Kart Deluxe & Smash Bros Ultimate releasing over 1.5 years apart.........also when have these games ever been known to compete against each other? I'll answer that for you, never.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

it's not insane at all. you are comparing it with brawl, which released over a decade ago, and didn't have mario kart, or pokemon  as competition, and it was insanely hot wii. a better comparison would be 3ds/wiiu sales combined for the

Umm Smash Bros Brawl and Mario Kart Wii released less than 2 months apart vs Mario Kart Deluxe & Smash Bros Ultimate releasing over 1.5 years apart.........also when have these games ever been known to compete against each other? I'll answer that for you, never.

all major  evergreen nintendo  games will compete with each other during the holidays, especially December when parents are buying for there kids.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

all major  evergreen nintendo  games will compete with each other during the holidays, especially December when parents are buying for there kids.

Nobody who is interested in Smash Bros is going to pass it up simply because a Mario Kart game released 19 months earlier, you are insane if you believe that.

Show me one time a Nintendo game was negatively affected as a direct result of another Nintendo game.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
quickrick said:

Nobody who is interested in Smash Bros is going to pass it up simply because a Mario Kart game released 19 months earlier, you are insane if you believe that.

Show me one time a Nintendo game was negatively affected as a direct result of another Nintendo game.

you don't seem to understand my point, its not wrong to assume that if mario kart 8 , and zelda wasn't out already, mario odyssia  would be selling much  better, smash is coming out with most of the major nintendo franchises out, it gonna hurt it a bit. I'm not saying  people that are interested in smash are not gonna buy it, but parents buying switch as gift have many choices of nintendo games.

Last edited by quickrick - on 25 October 2018