By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - September NPD 2018 thread, results up! PS4 421K; NSW 259K; XB1 176K; 3DS 81K

Let me know you feedback, would you like those threads to be a thing?

yes 46 93.88%

no 3 6.12%

Total:49
Kerotan said:
So rdr2 reviews are insane. That definitely further boost its sales.

So true! Its a Masterpiece :)

Around the Network
quickrick said:
Miyamotoo said:

Tottaly different things, you talking about sequels compared to new game that's totally different genre compared to already released Nintendo games on Switch.

Also there is no rule when you talk if some first game selling better or worse than sequel, there are plenty different things that effect on sales of those games, hype behind those games, popularity and time of release, are some of things that effect. Galaxy 1 had much bigger hype than Galaxy 2 had, Zelda SS also had much smaller hype than Zelda TP, also it was released when majority of Wii owners already migrated to other platforms and also required addon that you need to buy seperate. Switch will definitely getting another 3D Mario and other 3D Zelda, its way early to say if they will sell worse or better than Odyssey and BotW, but IMO it will be hard because until those new 3D Mario and 3D Zelda arive on market, Odyssey and BotW will continue to be one must have Switch games for every new Switch owner.

First your point is very weak, second even going buy your point, Smash Bros is game that has huge hype and it will have biggest hype during holiday season and easily biggest marketing push along side Pokemon Let Go, that affects also greatly on buyers and even on parents when they are buying games.

well i honestly feel the same with ps4, RDR2 and spiderman are gonna hurt GOW legs big time imo. when talking about nintendo systems, it's usually  major nintendo franchises that do great numbers, well see it's just a theory of mine, maybe it's flawed but imo thats why nintendo games have such great legs, people buying nintendo consoles are just buying them for nintendo games. switch will have mario kart, mario odyssia, pokemon, and zelda to choose from, which is why i don't see smash having record numbers.

But thats a point, BotW, MK8D and Odyssey all have great sales numbers despite effect have on each other, same will be with Smash Ultimate, people will have onother must have game for system, especially because Switch now has much bigger install base that it had last year when those games were launched, and Smash have huge hype and launch during strongest month for Nintendo. Maybe you would had some point if those games are launch in same month with Smash Bros, but those games were launched last year, and hole focus at years end will be on Smash Bros and Pokemon.

quickrick said:
zorg1000 said:

It is wrong to think that because if Mario Kart & Zelda weren't out than Switch would have sold significantly less than it has so Mario Odyssey would have been affected as well.

Big games in different genres help diversify a library and push hardware sales, these games do not compete with each other, they complement each other.

you make some good points, but i'm just looking at thing based off some of history of the wii, like mario galaxy 2, and zelda skyward has significantly less sales then there predecessors despite then having 5-7x bigger user base. if a mario odyssia and zelda sequels come out, they won't touch there predecessors.

Well that doesnt really have anything to do with our discussion, does it?

Sequels releasing later in a consoles life having a drop in sales and games in different genres competing with one another are two completely seperate topics.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

October 2018 NPD is shaping up as I thought, Games like Call of Duty and Red Dead will cause October to be elevated than last year (PS4 only did 205k, Xbox 1 130k), I can see them both above 300k this month (with the xbox one potentially coming out the winner), the X1 $100 off deal when buying RDR2 is such a fantastic deal, and the PS4 pro Deal is not too shabby either.

Keybladewielder said:

Shadow of the Tomb Raider bomba, poor her.

Such a great GIF.

flashfire926 said:
Keybladewielder said:

By what means? 

Shadow made number #5 in its debut month, while Rise was outside the top 10. Good improvement. According to insider at resetera Super Mario Party did well, and Tomb Raider is four spots above that.

Rise released exclusively for Xbox, so it is much expected that with PS4 version Shadow would debut higher. When you look at the numbers that were posted on the Shadow's thread you'll see that it was underwhelming. And I wouldn't say the expectations for SMP are the same as TR.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Keybladewielder said:

Such a great GIF.

flashfire926 said:

By what means? 

Shadow made number #5 in its debut month, while Rise was outside the top 10. Good improvement. According to insider at resetera Super Mario Party did well, and Tomb Raider is four spots above that.

Rise released exclusively for Xbox, so it is much expected that with PS4 version Shadow would debut higher. When you look at the numbers that were posted on the Shadow's thread you'll see that it was underwhelming. And I wouldn't say the expectations for SMP are the same as TR.

Exactly, the TR vs SMP comparison makes no sense. For one its 2 days vs 23 days of tracking and on top of that Mario Party is known for having legs and has a fraction of the budget of Tomb Raider.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

WhatATimeToBeAlive said:
Barkley said:
2.6-3.3m for Spiderman. Wow....

Sales will be massive. Over 10m after Christmas? Should be quite easy.

Thats possible, worldwide.

In America alone - Spiderman will reach the five million+ by the end of December, I suspect ?!

Its a big success in Europe and Japan too. Thats why.. 10 million units sold are not unrealistic. What do you think guys ?

KazumaKiryu said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

In America alone - Spiderman will reach the five million+ by the end of December, I suspect ?!

Its a big success in Europe and Japan too. Thats why.. 10 million units sold are not unrealistic. What do you think guys ?

My speculation is:
If its like 3.0-3,3 million units in the USA alone, and its doing well in europe/japan/rest of world.... its probably over 7m in its first month alone.

Throw in november + december... and yeah it ll be over 10m units sold by end of holidays.

KazumaKiryu said:
WhatATimeToBeAlive said:

The only solid numbers that we know for sure is that it sold 3.3 million or so worldwide in the first 3 days right? Hopefully we'll get more updated numbers from the Sony quarterly fiscal report.

Good speculation, JRPGfan. 10 million units are sure in the next months.

Yes, thats right :) @Megiddo