By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Venom was my second favorite movie of the year, just behind Infinity War Venom, aquaman is second and very close to first

That I've seen so far this year:

1. Eighth Grade
2. You Were Never Really Here
3. Isle of Dogs
4. Sorry to Bother You
5. BlacKkKlansmen
6. First Man
7. Incredibles 2
8. Annihilation
9. MI: Fallout
10. Ready Player One

Films like Roma, A Star is Born, A Quiet Place, and The Sisters Brothers are on my watchlist.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:
hunter_alien said:
So you overall have bad taste in movies... The only way Infinity War could ever win best movie of the year is if it is the only movie that comes out in a single year. Oh my, how fast a medium can slip from art and dig itself into an industry that only carters to the lowest common denominator.

Soon we will reach the point where punching someone in the face will be the backbone of reality shows that run for several seasons, as in "Sorry to bother you" a movie that is, you know, actually good. I am sorry for this short rant but when I see most peoples top 10 I just get depressed...

Your trying to argue that 2 billion people have bad taste in movies, including most critics and you a a few others are the ones with good taste?

Go on.

That's mainstream for ya. The cookie-cutter. The safe. The vanilla.

spurgeonryan said:
hunter_alien said:
So you overall have bad taste in movies... The only way Infinity War could ever win best movie of the year is if it is the only movie that comes out in a single year. Oh my, how fast a medium can slip from art and dig itself into an industry that only carters to the lowest common denominator.

Soon we will reach the point where punching someone in the face will be the backbone of reality shows that run for several seasons, as in "Sorry to bother you" a movie that is, you know, actually good. I am sorry for this short rant but when I see most peoples top 10 I just get depressed...

Your trying to argue that 2 billion people have bad taste in movies, including most critics and you a a few others are the ones with good taste?

Go on.

Thank you!

spurgeonryan said:
hunter_alien said:

Go on.

You mean how Venom was destroyed by critics and even Avangers seems to be loosing the grip over the liberal critical consensus, whom finally start to realize that most of the movies are decent-ish at best, and no positive message saves them from mediocrity? Its not like we did not have through the ages plenty of movies that were praised during release just so they can be re-evaluated at a later, more sane period for what they truly are. BTW, I still wonder how many raving fans still call movies like Titanic and Avatar the bestestest that was ever made. Probably the numbers dwindled quite a bit.

Like it or not, there is a reason why we have standards to judge a movie quality wise, and thank god, box-office results are not one of them. But maybe Huxley was right all along, and we did reach that point where people don't even care anymore and a simple VFX heavy masturbation is more than enough for most  

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

chakkra said:
spurgeonryan said:

Go on.

Thank you!

So what? You can probably find the same amount of people who would be willing to convince you that genocide is a decent solution for certain problems, or we should use violence to enforce certain religious standards. That doesn't make you or them right. Same is true with pretty much everything else.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

Would be much more excited for a lower budget super hero/anti hero movie aimed at a smaller but more adult crowd, all these movies feel so samelike and safe plotwise they have become a borefest for me.

5th place now.

1. Infinity War
2. Bohemian Rhapsody
3. Black Panther
4. Christopher Robin
5. Venom

For me the films I liked this year were:

1. Hereditary
2. Mission Impossible 6
3. Deadpool 2

Bohemian Rhapsody is one I hear good things about and will probably see next.

I keep hearing how much people like the majority of superhero films, but I suppose after watching so many I have lost a taste for them. Sometimes there's stuff I like, Logan, Deadpool 1 and 2, but that's about as far as it goes.

Last edited by Jumpin - on 06 November 2018

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

hunter_alien said:
spurgeonryan said:

Go on.

You mean how Venom was destroyed by critics and even Avangers seems to be loosing the grip over the liberal critical consensus, whom finally start to realize that most of the movies are decent-ish at best

Nope, Infinity War is proudly sitting at an 84% fresh rating on RT. 

I would consider this a bad year then.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."