By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch port of Xenoblade Chronicles X currently NOT in development

Given the sheer scale of the game it's not that surprising - I'd rather Monolith Soft worked on new titles for now. If X ever did come over, I think it'd need to be a Deluxe or Director's Cut edition, rather than a straight port - not only to work around the lack of gamepad integration, but to retool the combat system and tidy up some of the structural issues. But if it is a big, expensive undertaking, why not a spiritual sequel or new game?

Around the Network

Well Monolith Soft is already working on 2 projects so getting to work on a Switch port of Xenoblade X would be a bit overboard and thin out the staff (even if they try to outsource it). As mentioned, a lot of things would have to be significantly changed, especially when it utilized the gamepad and the MMO-type online features. Though I get why some would like it to happen. 1) The game didn't sell as well as it could have due to the game releasing near the last leg of the Wii U's life and when the Wii U had very little momentum left; 2) There is some interest built partly thanks to Elma being added into Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the best selling Xeno game ever as of note; and 3) There's potential for new sales and new consumers to get invested into the Xeno franchise through X.

Games like Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade X should get a second chance on finding success, especially now that the Switch is selling well and building a bigger install base than Wii U. I know some are irritated about ports on Switch, even though it has already happened on consoles of the past, including PS4 and Xbone. Still, it would be nice to give some of these underrated or underappreciated games a second chance when the opportunity arrives.

Shame, never played that either. Is it recommended to play xenoblade on the Wii and the wiiu before playing xbc2? I might just play the one on switch and not bother if it doesn't matter too much.

Barkley said:
Shame, never played that either. Is it recommended to play xenoblade on the Wii and the wiiu before playing xbc2? I might just play the one on switch and not bother if it doesn't matter too much.

play Xenoblade Chronicles first before you play Xenoblade Chronicles 2. then if you get the opportunity play Xenoblade Chronicles X, but you should play 1 and 2 in order

That interview was a big blow to me. I thought for sure that Nintendo and Monolith had a 2019 port of XCX up their sleeve. With the video quality of X being so much better than XC2, even Torna, I was looking forward to less pop-in and less slowdown in a definitive Switch version.

Here's hoping for X2?

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Good. Switch is already oversaturated with ancient ports, more so than any system I can ever recall. New games please.

I'm not buying any of those ports, out of principal.  Frankly, I think Nintendo has kind of screwed the loyalists that bought both the WiiU and Switch, as they're just recycling many of the good games.  

StuOhQ said:
That interview was a big blow to me. I thought for sure that Nintendo and Monolith had a 2019 port of XCX up their sleeve. With the video quality of X being so much better than XC2, even Torna, I was looking forward to less pop-in and less slowdown in a definitive Switch version.

Here's hoping for X2?

I am still hoping that it's some clever avoidance of leaking the game before an official announcement. Denying the existence of projects in the works isn't outside of usual behaviour for Nintendo execs or their partners.

If a port is in the worlds for XCX, it is unlikely that Monolithsoft would be working on it; rather, it would be a studio who specializes in porting. The only items which require Monolithsoft are feature/UI/Art concepts and asset/milestone signoffs; although, they can even delegate that to other parties and contractors.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Barkley said:

Each game is mostly independent of the other. There are links, but the games stay enjoyable without knowing the others.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Barkley said:

There's no order to play any of these games. They all stand out on their own.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Nintendo doesn't see a commercial advantage in porting XCX so they'll remain that way and Nintendo are the type of company today that couldn't give a shit about preservation too ...