By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Switch port of Xenoblade Chronicles X currently NOT in development

curl-6 said:

Good. Switch is already oversaturated with ancient ports, more so than any system I can ever recall. New games please.

From Monolith Soft? Hope you're ready to wait 2-3 years. Sure would be nice to have a Wii U port to play instead of nothing in the intervening time.

Around the Network

That OTP tho, author of culture *paw bumps Boom*

I can continue my second playthrough of X in peace. 3 years after X and whatever more time it takes to develop another title, I would be annoyed if it was just a port, specially with X ending the way it did.

The real question is: Will there be a sequel to X?

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

It's a game that could really benefit from a lot of quality of life improvements - especially since the WiiU Gamepad had a lot of the map info.

Streamline the quest system.

Make the text bigger.

Replicating the resource management into the Nintendo Switch Online app would be cool. Along with all the other Miiverse features XCX had.

It's a game they could still add more content too I think in a port.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

killeryoshis said:
Porting Xenoblade X onto the Switch will destroy all my free time. I prefer for that not to happen. Also, Xenoblade 1 needs a drastic remaster. That game feels like it could use a major facelift. Do that before Xenoblade X.
(I hope they do it at an empty time)

They need to remake it, XB1 graphics is unacceptable for a Switch game and that take at least a few years.

Around the Network
padib said:
curl-6 said:

The alternative would be to actually make new games instead of just reselling old rope. Or if you're going to port, port stuff that's coming out now or at least recently, not shit that came out years ago.

Nintendo always did this to be completely honest, especially on their most succesful consoles (portables). The time spent making ports is not considerable and since the resources at Nintendo haven't shrunk and these ports are likely not hampering the creation  of new content, you can probably imagine that the time to create brand new games featured to the extent that people expect nowadays (BotW, Odysee) increased by a scale. To be honest, your choice is between having a few new games, or, having a few new games and lots of ports.

I think honestly a port of XBCX would have been good if they had the budget for it, but it looks like it wouldn't be profitable for them, esp. if it might risk eating up sales of XBC2. But I believe that these ports from WiiU to Switch are inexpensive all things relative.

Monolith won't make just a simple port.

That's a huge shame.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is, IMO, the best game developed by Monolithsoft to date (excluding Xenogears, which was proto-Monolithsoft), and has yet to be put on a proper platform.

It would also be an easy win for Monolithsoft branding and revenue to get some of their catalogue content on the Switch - especially if they could deal with Square and Namco to get Takahashi's old Xeno-games. Content without the cost of internal dev resources.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

HintHRO said:
Good. A new console needs new games, not full priced ports of old games.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe completely disproves this. Switch sales benefitted tremendously from that one game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Given the sheer scale of the game it's not that surprising - I'd rather Monolith Soft worked on new titles for now. If X ever did come over, I think it'd need to be a Deluxe or Director's Cut edition, rather than a straight port - not only to work around the lack of gamepad integration, but to retool the combat system and tidy up some of the structural issues. But if it is a big, expensive undertaking, why not a spiritual sequel or new game?

Well Monolith Soft is already working on 2 projects so getting to work on a Switch port of Xenoblade X would be a bit overboard and thin out the staff (even if they try to outsource it). As mentioned, a lot of things would have to be significantly changed, especially when it utilized the gamepad and the MMO-type online features. Though I get why some would like it to happen. 1) The game didn't sell as well as it could have due to the game releasing near the last leg of the Wii U's life and when the Wii U had very little momentum left; 2) There is some interest built partly thanks to Elma being added into Xenoblade Chronicles 2, the best selling Xeno game ever as of note; and 3) There's potential for new sales and new consumers to get invested into the Xeno franchise through X.

Games like Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Xenoblade X should get a second chance on finding success, especially now that the Switch is selling well and building a bigger install base than Wii U. I know some are irritated about ports on Switch, even though it has already happened on consoles of the past, including PS4 and Xbone. Still, it would be nice to give some of these underrated or underappreciated games a second chance when the opportunity arrives.