By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Black Ops 4 physical sales down by 50% in the UK, lowest physical sales since Modern Warfare 11 years ago

Mordred11 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I said it myself : " People will have their viewpoints and they will be as constructive or unsupported as they want". That is literally in the comment you quoted. People are allowed to state any opinion they want. Going around policing and berating people is not the same thing as casually stating a personal take. 

But I didn't say it was the same. I said it adds nothing of value. And someone needs to stand up and say something about the state of this site towards multiplayer games. It's pretty much a circlejerk at the moment.

? I didn't either ? The point of my reply was that you shouldn't police people and that people can say what they want. The reason I brought up constructiveness is that that is one of the key differences between just policing people and making valid arguments. People stating their own opinion doesn't have to add value  But if you are going to get angry - at least make constructive replies instead of berating others. 

And I agree with you, by the way. Make a great post or thread about it. I'd read it. 

Around the Network

£60 in online stores.
£50 max in retail stores.
£42 online retail stores.

I don't expect PSN/XBL sales to have increased by 50% to offset the loss in sales. Not without a campaign, not at 110gb install size (has anyone actually asked Activision what the hell is up with that?) and not when it released a month earlier, when Parents aren't buying this game for their kids anymore because they are buying V-Bucks instead. :P

Hmm, pie.

Guaranteed this game will be the best selling COD this gen, it's not a matter of if but when. Digital sales have been on an upward trend for years and seeing that there are more players on this game than WW2 it's a no-brainer that the game has sold well. This game will also have long legs seeing that streamers are moving to this game from PUBG and there is a huge Blackout tournament planned at the end of this month.

It has no campaign and needs a huge day one patch. Not surprising that sales,are down physically but up digitally. Not too many reasons to buy the physical version when the game is specifically made for online gamers.

And since Activision will make more money per sold unit with this, I'm sure they will be happy.

Sales must be down by a lot.

Digital share on consoles is still far lower than 50%, so it being down 50% physically is quite bad.

Using a 35/65 share between digital and physical and the opening week for WWII in the UK we get:

518k physical
279k digital

physical being down 50% means only 259k sold, so digital needs to be up by 93% in order to match WW2 sales. Doesn't seem very realistic.

Around the Network
The Fury said:
£60 in online stores.

I don't expect PSN/XBL sales to have increased by 50% to offset the loss in sales. Not without a campaign, not at 110gb install size (has anyone actually asked Activision what the hell is up with that?) and not when it released a month earlier, when Parents aren't buying this game for their kids anymore because they are buying V-Bucks instead. :P

Game is like 55gbs not 110.

Barozi said:

Digital share on consoles is still far lower than 50%, so it being down 50% physically is quite bad.

Using a 35/65 share between digital and physical and the opening week for WWII in the UK we get:

518k physical
279k digital

physical being down 50% means only 259k sold, so digital needs to be up by 93% in order to match WW2 sales. Doesn't seem very realistic.

This is only console though. PC sales more than doubled. On Console I think digital in the UK will be 60-70%..

Edit: WW2 had a 22% digital rate last year. https://eraltd.org/news-events/press-releases/2018/streaming-boom-helps-entertainment-outstrip-the-printed-word/ so maybe not 60-70% for BO4. I think digital instead will be 40-50%.

Last edited by jason1637 - on 15 October 2018

jason1637 said:
The Fury said:
£60 in online stores.

Barozi said:

518k physical
279k digital

This is only console though. PC sales more than doubled. On Console I think digital in the UK will be 60-70%..

Edit: WW2 had a 22% digital rate last year. https://eraltd.org/news-events/press-releases/2018/streaming-boom-helps-entertainment-outstrip-the-printed-word/ so maybe not 60-70% for BO4. I think digital instead will be 40-50%.

CoD is tiny on PC, so that's not really relevant.

Barozi said:
jason1637 said:

CoD is tiny on PC, so that's not really relevant.

It sold over 800k it's first few weeks on PC last year.  That's not tiny.

Let’s not jump to conclusions though that the game sold poorly as a whole compared to the other COD games. On my friends list there’s 9 people playing blops4, 1 of them bought the physical copy while the rest bought digital versions.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

The Fury said:
£60 in online stores.

For a 60 dollar game, does a 5 hour campaign really would make a difference for COD buyers.  I am just wondering how many people who really purchase COD just to play a short campaign.