By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kotaku- Microsoft is close to buying Obsidian Entertainment

Chazore said:

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that every time. I'll still be waiting to see it, in full (and I mean in full, not your view of what in full means, i'm talking mine).

Two games, and once they announce them for Xbox, I'll know where the original design was really going for. Diligaf about cloud streaming bullcrap.

Soo, I believe they will, going off of how studios that have existed under MS have been ran, and those that were ran into the ground for that matter...

Nah, MS purchase for the Xbox "family", which doesn't include all of PC, just their little walled eco-system, which PC isn't btw.

No, you are a fan of buyouts, because you're defending this one and you will by definition of fact, defend future buyouts related to MS. I dare you, I dare your very soul to argue against future MS buyouts in favour of other systems and non Windows 10 related PC's, but you won't, because I know you by now to see that you think it's good for everyone regardless of any argument that could ever be made against MS/Win 10. 

Keep telling myself what exactly? That MS support the PC industry? I don't get what you are arguing over. Are you saying the opposite? 

Lets not act like there are only 2 MS games on PC, majority of Xbox games are available on PC and they just announced another 5+ games heading to Steam that are MS exclusives. How much more evidence do you actually need? Age Of Empires was Remastered on PC and it remains exclusive to PC. That just proves they still design games with M & K in mind which means they are still building games with PC as there primary.

So you are going off there past on how MS ran there studios? Than you will agree Bungie were one of the best devs going around under MS?

As long as the game is available on PC and doesn't require me to forcefully buy another piece of Hardware than I am okay with that and I can safely bet that Obsidian's next game will also be available on PC. 

Your hate for MS is fine by me, I honestly don't care, I happily game on both MS and Steam so as long as they continue to put games on PC, it doesn't bother me what I log into.

Your last paragraph? Lets just say it made me laugh. I guess you also avoid the fact I am a huge Nintendo and Steam fan. But I guess go with what suits your assumptions.

Around the Network
chakkra said:
John2290 said:

Just grow your studios MS. Don't snake the talent when you're an underdog. No one will route for you eith tactics like that and you'll not only hurt yourselves but the studios you acquire and the industry as a whole. I'm one of the people who was routing for you after e3 and such amazing steps being put into place, I even overlooked the NinjaTheory buy as something that wad needed for headlines to push the other news of growing four other studios which was one of my favourite developers (Heavenly sword, DMC reboot, Hellblade). I like obsidian less, as they are hit and miss but these tactics are something that makes me feel spite and much, much less likely to buy your next box even if Obsidian make a Divinity tier ARPG or a New Vegas tier third person RPG. 

Just grow your own talent and cultivate it and you have a chance at reaching Sony and Nintendo levels in 6-20 years and I'll be aboard to throw my money to support that growth. But this... just count me out. 

I find your style of writing rather fascinating.  You make it seem as if you are actually expecting for someone at MS to read your post.

Unfortunately it doesn't work like that.
First, you must fast for 2 weeks, then purify yourself in the blood of virgins, then one must trek to the holy mountain, where one chants the holy words, before inscribing one's prayer to the gods into your own flesh. Then, if the stars align, a magic pigeon will carry your wishes to be heard by the gods in Redmond, Washington, where if your purity was true they will read your message.
Of course, they still won't care.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 10 October 2018

Good for them!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Pretty cool purchase (if true), now if only I can get a Halo RPG....

MS making money moves

Well, as with previous thread about Obsidian, this deteriorated quickly into MS vs Sony. I'll rephrase here what I said there:

There are actual CRPG fans, some being that for 30+ years, who don't give a toss about MS v Sony and all that crap, and who are aware that Obsidian is one of the last devs with folks from the olden golden days of CRPGs (Black Isle Studios) who have talent and knowledge to make proper CRPGs and not diluted mass market action-adventures with RPG coat of paint - so those fans, although genre is fairly healthy at this point (Shadowrun Returns/Hong Kong, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity 1/2, Divinity: Original Sin 1/2, The Age of Decadence, Torment: Tides of Numenera...), don't want to see one of the last bastions of CRPGs bite the dust.

I would rather see them going to THQ Nordic, but who knows - maybe MS will give them enough freedom and money - maybe they even get them license from one of the well known pen and paper RPGs (another Vampire the Masquerade would be great, given that Boyarsky has co-created Bloodlines and is back with Obsidian since '16) and let them do their thing...time will tell.

Last edited by HoloDust - on 10 October 2018

Around the Network

Dick move.

zkp said:
Dick move.

Yeah totally a dick move to buy a studio that is in financial trouble and is that is open to a buy out lol. They should just shut down and fire nearly 200 employees right.

pitzy272 said:
I’ve never played one of their games, and likely never will, but they’re a talented developer from what I hear.

Is Sony just gonna sit back and let MS buy up all these studios without firing back with their own purchases?

The last Studios that Sony Purchased were Media Molecule and Sucker Punch who were 2nd party before they were purchased they are not going to go out and start buying up studios just because MS is. They are still better off giving out second party deals and honestly if they were interested they would have bought From Soft a while back.

This is kinda' the entire industries fault.
People complained about the lack of games, so obviously Microsoft is going to go shopping to rectify said criticisms.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

This will be a great acquisition to Microsoft Studios and a great deal for Obsidian to be able to have the funding to go and create a large RPG project like they had wanted for some time now. I have no doubt that they will have a team dedicated to isometric style RPG's whilst a large bulk of the staff work on a AAA RPG that they have been wanting for years now as they no longer have to do contract work to stay afloat whilst crowdfunding the Pillars games as their passion projects.