By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kotaku- Microsoft is close to buying Obsidian Entertainment

shikamaru317 said:
outlawauron said:

Is there much precedent for that?

Ninja Theory said that MS is giving them full creative control. We also know that Rare has had creative control pretty much ever since MS bought them. 

I would doubt that about Rare as of late, but they were allowed to make Viva Pinata at one point. Surely that thing wasn't directed by MS.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Why is it that everytime we get news/rumors like this a lot of people come out trying to act like they personally know what is best for the studio and what decisions they should make or saying this is bad for them, while ignoring that the studio most likely agreed to being acquired.

Like, if they agreed to it then surely they see it as good for their own future? And i'm pretty sure they know what's best for themselves more than random posters. Not even necessarily talking about this thread, just some reactions i've seen across the internet about this.

Plus, we all saw Telltale just very recently go defunct. And Obsidian apparently already had financial troubles in the past, so shouldn't everyone just be glad that they now won't have to suffer the same fate and can be financially secure? Expressing disappointment for a developer being exclusive now is one thing, but at least be glad you don't have to worry about them closing anytime soon now and that if anything they can probably make even bigger and better games now due to more funding and support. I know this varies by studio though, but again in this case they already apparently had financial troubles. 

Anyways, never played any of their games, but apparently their a quality studio so good on them and a good grab from Microsoft.

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 10 October 2018

Pemalite said:
This is kinda' the entire industries fault.
People complained about the lack of games, so obviously Microsoft is going to go shopping to rectify said criticisms.

IMO it has more to do with the the rising cost of developing games, big independent studios nowadays are being bought up by Outside Investors/Parent Company's. It's getting hard to survive out there and next gen being around the corner won't help those studios either.

Gearing up for next gen, let's see the portfolio MS will bring at release with all the acquisitions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Azzanation said:

Keep telling myself what exactly? That MS support the PC industry? I don't get what you are arguing over. Are you saying the opposite? 

Lets not act like there are only 2 MS games on PC, majority of Xbox games are available on PC and they just announced another 5+ games heading to Steam that are MS exclusives. How much more evidence do you actually need? Age Of Empires was Remastered on PC and it remains exclusive to PC. That just proves they still design games with M & K in mind which means they are still building games with PC as there primary.

So you are going off there past on how MS ran there studios? Than you will agree Bungie were one of the best devs going around under MS?

As long as the game is available on PC and doesn't require me to forcefully buy another piece of Hardware than I am okay with that and I can safely bet that Obsidian's next game will also be available on PC. 

Your hate for MS is fine by me, I honestly don't care, I happily game on both MS and Steam so as long as they continue to put games on PC, it doesn't bother me what I log into.  

Your last paragraph? Lets just say it made me laugh. I guess you also avoid the fact I am a huge Nintendo and Steam fan. But I guess go with what suits your assumptions.

MS supports the win 10 side of things, not the win 7-8 side, nor the Linux or Mac.

There are *some* MS games on PC from this gen. The games they recently announced were more peace-meal offerings, and nothing like say Crackdown 3, Sunset overdrive and the mainline Halo series in it's complete form, let alone the previous Halo title, as well as Gears.

The AoE I remaster/remake is exclusive to Win 10 and not Steam as well, and we also know that the upcoming one is likely to be locked to just the Win 10 store.

No, I'm going off of the past, present and future of MS, not some past that makes it an easier argument for you to throw in the trash bin (much as you'd like it to be that way).

It requires you to adhere to one OS and one store alone, unlike Steam where you are able to buy said games across multiple OS's, same goes for GoG as well.

It's not fine by you, because you persists to argue against it and throw said "hate" into the bin at any turn. You haven't once admitted fault in both your holed arguments and MS itself. You have something very, very strong to hold onto, lest you admit being weak by letting it go. You aren't the first person to display this, and you will not be the last either. 

Yeah, I've got a Switch and play Nintendo games, but let's not kid ourselves when I say that we all have a core bias. Even fence sitters have their own. You make whatever suits your own assumptions all the time, so you talk big. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Around the Network
EspadaGrim said:
Pemalite said:
People complained about the lack of games, so obviously Microsoft is going to go shopping to rectify said criticisms.

IMO it has more to do with the the rising cost of developing games, big independent studios nowadays are being bought up by Outside Investors/Parent Company's. It's getting hard to survive out there and next gen being around the corner won't help those studios either.

Not every game costs a few hundred mil to make, and even then a lot of those AAA games end up spending a lot more on merch and marketing than the game itself.

Also, I'd rather not every single IP known to man be snatched up and locked behind each of the big 3 either, let alone PC IP's. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Pemalite said:

Uh... Weird take. I mean, I don't think it's strange or wrong MS is buying them, or potentially others could consider buying them,
but it isn't "entire industries fault" MS didn't develop more games itself previously, that was MS policy they didn't need Obsidian to change.

pitzy272 said:
I’ve never played one of their games, and likely never will, but they’re a talented developer from what I hear.

Is Sony just gonna sit back and let MS buy up all these studios without firing back with their own purchases?

But then Sony would be doing what people are hating on Microsoft for doing(If though Sony has done this in the past too). So then people would have to criticize sony for it otherwise they'll look bad if they don't. 

Both Sony and Microsft are businesses, if they want to buy up studios to help their end game, that shouldn't be a negative on either imo. Just nature of the game. 

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

flashfire926 said:
COKTOE said:

How about Polyphony Digital Einstein? If you can pull yourself away from formulating a unified field theory, tell me all about the history of Polyphony Digital. Tell me about their history of game development before they were acquired by Sony.

Well, upon closer inspection looks like polyphony stemmed out of Sony Japan. I'll take the L on that one. I'll remove Polyphony from my initial post. 

Though that's one of several. 

There are other examples. Media Molecule. They made one PS exclusive, LBP on the PS3, and were then bought by Sony. Their purchase, and others you listed, are much closer to being, as you said, "grown from the ground up" than the Obsidian purchase. Literally all of the acquisitions you referenced had closer ties to the company that bought them out than Obsidian would have to MS.

I could have been more diplomatic. It's been a chronic failing in the last few weeks. Wherever this goes from here, I'm sorry for being a dick.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Chazore said:
EspadaGrim said:

Not every game costs a few hundred mil to make, and even then a lot of those AAA games end up spending a lot more on merch and marketing than the game itself.

Also, I'd rather not every single IP known to man be snatched up and locked behind each of the big 3 either, let alone PC IP's. 

On the bright side though... Microsoft tends to release their games on the PC as well.

...Even though it's often locked behind that god awful Windows store and not on Steam.

mutantsushi said:
Pemalite said:

Uh... Weird take. I mean, I don't think it's strange or wrong MS is buying them, or potentially others could consider buying them,
but it isn't "entire industries fault" MS didn't develop more games itself previously, that was MS policy they didn't need Obsidian to change.

Not really a weird take. 
Microsoft has spent all generation long turning around criticisms of the Xbox, higher price, lack of power, size and aesthetics of the console, kinect, always online... List goes on.

All console generation long, people have been complaining about the lack of games on the Xbox One... Last E3 Microsoft announced they had acquired/built 5 new game studios.
This is just another step in that same plan.

I would hate to see Obsidian go... But I would honestly rather Microsoft have them, than EA, Ubisoft or Activision.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--