By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kotaku- Microsoft is close to buying Obsidian Entertainment

John2290 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
I hope not, I really like Obsidian and don't want to stop supporting them

This and it's bad PR snaking studios, they need to grow their own or they'll only build spite among gamers like they did with RoTR. As well as the catastrophe waiting to happen of a studio that is perceived to be locked down releases a bad game on the next box... it'll bite them royally. They'll be seen as the EA like studio killer. 

Just grow your studios MS. Don't snake the talent when you're an underdog. No one will route for you eith tactics like that and you'll not only hurt yourselves but the studios you acquire and the industry as a whole. I'm one of the people who was routing for you after e3 and such amazing steps being put into place, I even overlooked the NinjaTheory buy as something that wad needed for headlines to push the other news of growing four other studios which was one of my favourite developers (Heavenly sword, DMC reboot, Hellblade). I like obsidian less, as they are hit and miss but these tactics are something that makes me feel spite and much, much less likely to buy your next box even if Obsidian make a Divinity tier ARPG or a New Vegas tier third person RPG. 

Just grow your own talent and cultivate it and you have a chance at reaching Sony and Nintendo levels in 6-20 years and I'll be aboard to throw my money to support that growth. But this... just count me out. 

LOL.... 6-20 years? What in the actual fuck.

Interesting that you'd put Sony in there. I mean, yeah, lets not acquire studios, that way in 20 years they might hit Sony's level. Such amazing home grown Sony studios like Naughty Dog, Guerrilla Games, Evolution Studios, Media Molecule, Bend Studio, Studio Liverpool, Sucker Punch, Zipper, etc etc. You've probably already been quoted numerous times pointing out the double standard/hypocrisy in this post, but really... wtf. So you expect them to reach Sony levels but they aren't allowed to get there the exact same way Sony did? Doesn't seem logical.

I won't believe this is real until it's official, but this was a studio in financial trouble. I mean, it's great that some of you apparently want them to stay in AA more niche type of situation forever, but apparently that's not financially feasible. There are a number of employees who left and openly talked about issues with money at the company and dire situations when it came to getting paid, bonuses, and benefits like health care.

An Obsidian owned by MicroSony or Nintendo would be better than no Obsidian at all. I view it the same as Ninja Theory. If you enjoyed their AA titles then imagine what they could do with many more resources at their disposal.

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:

Maybe I wasn't specific enough, "demanding console exclusivity" means only exclusivity amongst consoles, not excluding PC. My entire point with JV with other publisher is they would have free reign to sell to PC, because it would be fulfilling Sony's primary objective re: console exclusivity. That's worth something to Sony, and if they co-fund the JV, that should be totally acceptable the 3rd party publisher, why is why I wrote Sony doesn't even need to match MS itself if it makes JV that outbids MS (and that higher valuation would be rational, because it would have higher combined market of Sony+PC vs MS' XBOX+PC, MS can't expect as large of $-flow from making it XBOX-PC exclusive). If you're already considering "Sony can't spend on deals equally as MS" then they should be looking for that kind of deal to best leverage their money, if they don't do it then you can see MS doing this deal anyways, so they wouldn't lose anything by allowing the dev to continue both PC+PS.

Well for starters, Sony dont operate like that. As you can tell they rely heavily on the method in keeping games from other platforms.

It also doeant make sense if Sony just brought half of them etc. If the company is in financial trouble than i cannot see buying half of them and than halving there platforms benefiting Obsidian.

Also you are basing popularity off this generation. Next gen is just around the corner so everything next gen is going to change. MS have a new service coming out called xCloud which is streaming to any devices. That opens up alot more doors than doing a SFV and relying solely on PC and PS4/5. We dont even know how popular the PS5 will be, it could be a huge success and it can also be a giant turd. Assuming PS outsell MSs Xbox and streaming services than you might have a point, but right now thats just an assumption.

I’ve never played one of their games, and likely never will, but they’re a talented developer from what I hear.

Is Sony just gonna sit back and let MS buy up all these studios without firing back with their own purchases?

pitzy272 said:
I’ve never played one of their games, and likely never will, but they’re a talented developer from what I hear.

Is Sony just gonna sit back and let MS buy up all these studios without firing back with their own purchases?

I'd rather they not play the same exact game, in fact I'd rather 3 consoles stop buying out all sorts of companies and IP's. Rather they should make their own.

Already sick of seeing what a publisher like EA has done to popular PC IP's, I don't want the same happening to other PC companies and IP's.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

flashfire926 said:
COKTOE said:

So you've taken a closer look at the developers you've mentioned, and this is your answer? The only one that's comparable is Sony Liverpool, AKA Psygnosis. Polyphony has literally never been anything other that a part of Sony, and all of the other studios you listed were almost exclusively with PS from their inceptions. Most of them were with Sony "from the ground up". Sometimes close to literally, and in all but one case, to a much greater extent than Obsidian was with MS. Poor comparisons.

And?

Does that mean Sony hasn't bought developers before?

Are you even following the argument?

you question someone for not following an argument which started with Johns post which includes.

"Don't snake the talent when you're an underdog. . No one will route for you eith tactics like that"

Have Sony ever had a console be the underdog to a MS machine?

Never mind follow this argument... did you read the first post which sparked it.

I think what John was getting at originally is to say that if MS buys a studio and locks games to just be on the X1 right now then for each X1 owner who is happy that a game is exclusive to their system because of this deal it means that there are 3.5 PS4/Switch owners who lose access to a game over it, Johns point stands that if you throw money at studios as the underdog you are likely to annoy the majority since that majority are on different consoles that's a simple fact of being the system with 40m units out there rather than the one with 80m

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

If Sony brought Obsidian, they will force them only to PS platforms locking them out from there main market. That will not go down well for Obsidian fans and there games which are designed with PC in mind without the limitation of consoles and controllers. Besides Sony probably dont have the buying power especially if MS is in the running.

We know MS will give them freedom to do what they want on PC.

I don't for one.

Their main group is PC, not Xbox or PS either, so it wouldn't matter with either side, because it'd involve PC being screwed over in one aspect or another. 

Also, if it's for Xbox, gamepad input would take precedence over M+K, it's not just a Sony "issue".

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

Chazore said:

I don't for one.

Their main group is PC, not Xbox or PS either, so it wouldn't matter with either side, because it'd involve PC being screwed over in one aspect or another. 

Also, if it's for Xbox, gamepad input would take precedence over M+K, it's not just a Sony "issue".

You dont think they will support PC but its obvious they will. We know for a fact that MS support PC more than any other Console brand. 

They still make exclusives like Age Of Empires 4, Gears Tactics, Playwhere and there xCloud basically means you can play on whatever you want.

Sooo Obsidian i dont believe will change at all apart from being on the Xbox Eco System. I actually dont think MS will use Obsidian for there Xbox consoles but instead just another feather in there hat to support there PC eco system.

Look i am no fan of buy outs however if we all havnt notice this is a complete rebuilt of the Xbox brand not just a subtle move to piss off gamers. They are starting again.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 10 October 2018

Azzanation said:

You dont think they will support PC but its obvious they will. We know for a fact that MS support PC more than any other Console brand. 

They still make exclusives like Age Of Empires 4, Gears Tactics, and there xCloud basically means you can play on whatever you want.

Sooo Obsidian i dont believe will change at all apart from being on the Xbox Eco System. I actually dont think MS will use Obsidian for there Xbox consoles but instead just another feather in there hat to support there PC eco system.

Look i am no fan of buy outs however if we all havnt notice this is a complete rebuilt of the Xbox brand not just a subtle move to piss off gamers. They are starting again.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that every time. I'll still be waiting to see it, in full (and I mean in full, not your view of what in full means, i'm talking mine).

Two games, and once they announce them for Xbox, I'll know where the original design was really going for. Diligaf about cloud streaming bullcrap.

Soo, I believe they will, going off of how studios that have existed under MS have been ran, and those that were ran into the ground for that matter...

Nah, MS purchase for the Xbox "family", which doesn't include all of PC, just their little walled eco-system, which PC isn't btw.

No, you are a fan of buyouts, because you're defending this one and you will by definition of fact, defend future buyouts related to MS. I dare you, I dare your very soul to argue against future MS buyouts in favour of other systems and non Windows 10 related PC's, but you won't, because I know you by now to see that you think it's good for everyone regardless of any argument that could ever be made against MS/Win 10. 

starcraft said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

So...don't stop supporting them?

I don't support Windows store at all (it's GfWL rebranded, and that was utter shite) and only use Steam for Kickstarter, gifts and so on, if I want to buy a game I do it on GOG or not at all. Microsoft buying Obsidian means they won't release their games over GOG anymore for certain and thus won't buy them anymore

John2290 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

This and it's bad PR snaking studios, they need to grow their own or they'll only build spite among gamers like they did with RoTR. As well as the catastrophe waiting to happen of a studio that is perceived to be locked down releases a bad game on the next box... it'll bite them royally. They'll be seen as the EA like studio killer. 

Just grow your studios MS. Don't snake the talent when you're an underdog. No one will route for you eith tactics like that and you'll not only hurt yourselves but the studios you acquire and the industry as a whole. I'm one of the people who was routing for you after e3 and such amazing steps being put into place, I even overlooked the NinjaTheory buy as something that wad needed for headlines to push the other news of growing four other studios which was one of my favourite developers (Heavenly sword, DMC reboot, Hellblade). I like obsidian less, as they are hit and miss but these tactics are something that makes me feel spite and much, much less likely to buy your next box even if Obsidian make a Divinity tier ARPG or a New Vegas tier third person RPG. 

Just grow your own talent and cultivate it and you have a chance at reaching Sony and Nintendo levels in 6-20 years and I'll be aboard to throw my money to support that growth. But this... just count me out. 

I find your style of writing rather fascinating.  You make it seem as if you are actually expecting for someone at MS to read your post.