By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kotaku- Microsoft is close to buying Obsidian Entertainment

COKTOE said:
flashfire926 said:

And?

Does that mean Sony hasn't bought developers before?

Are you even following the argument?

It's nothing short of maddening when somebody posts, their post is quoted, then a THIRD pass is required, because they've forgotten what they've said....We're 3 replies deep. How the do I do this without just telling you to look at what was already said so very, very recently? Where did I say that Sony has not bought developers? I said there are significant differences between the developers you listed as being purchased by Sony and the potential purchase of Obsidian by Microsoft. I did this in response to your post: 

"Do you also spite Sony for buying Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Evolution, Sony Liverpool, Bend, Geurilla Games, Polyphony, etc? Those weren't exactly grown from the ground up.

A poor list. With some poor comparisons.

The quote you posted is perfectly true. Tell me where I lie.

The point you're trying to bring up is valid, but that doesnt make john less of a hypocrite. That's all. 

Also, not in that specific argument, it was not a poor comparison. Full stop. Stop being deliberately dense.

Its a fact that all of the studios I bought up were independently operated before Sony bought them (I think Geurilla was owned by a company that Sony bought them from, but that doesnt change the point)

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 09 October 2018

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network
twintail said:
flashfire926 said:

While what you guys say is true, it doesnt really have any significance or relevance in this argument.

Perhaps not. Dont get me wrong, I think this is a good buy for MS and a good move for Obsidian.

I'm just pointing out that similarities to Sony and how they approach studio acquisition is not a 1:1 correlation.

Yes, that's perfectly true and valid. Sony builds up a relationship before acquiring, except for Sony Liverpool. MS has done this too with Undead Labs and Playground, but not nearly to the extent of Sony. They tend to buy devs out of the blue sometimes, like Ninja Theory.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

An Obsidian developed Fable game, anyone?

flashfire926 said:
COKTOE said:

It's nothing short of maddening when somebody posts, their post is quoted, then a THIRD pass is required, because they've forgotten what they've said....We're 3 replies deep. How the do I do this without just telling you to look at what was already said so very, very recently? Where did I say that Sony has not bought developers? I said there are significant differences between the developers you listed as being purchased by Sony and the potential purchase of Obsidian by Microsoft. I did this in response to your post: 

"Do you also spite Sony for buying Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Evolution, Sony Liverpool, Bend, Geurilla Games, Polyphony, etc? Those weren't exactly grown from the ground up.

A poor list. With some poor comparisons.

The point you're trying to bring up is valid, but that doesnt make john less of a hypocrite. That's all. 

Also, not in that specific argument, it was not a poor comparison. Full stop. Stop being deliberately dense.

How about Polyphony Digital Einstein? If you can pull yourself away from formulating a unified field theory, tell me all about the history of Polyphony Digital. Tell me about their history of game development before they were acquired by Sony.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
flashfire926 said:

How about Polyphony Digital Einstein? If you can pull yourself away from formulating a unified field theory, tell me all about the history of Polyphony Digital. Tell me about their history of game development before they were acquired by Sony.

Well, upon closer inspection looks like polyphony stemmed out of Sony Japan. I'll take the L on that one. I'll remove Polyphony from my initial post. 

Though that's one of several. 

Bet with Intrinsic:

Around the Network

This will bring in higher budget games from Obsidian. Its a good move and has no affect on my gaming since i game on PC as my primary choice. I enjoyed Pillars of Enternity and this dev has great talant. Looking forward to there next game.
If rumours are true than its a good pick up for MS. Id rather them brought by a healthy buisness instead of them folding.

COKTOE said:
flashfire926 said:

It's ok , i'll tell him , Polyphony Digital originally was  Poly's entertainment an internal development studio of sce, they changed their name to Polyphony Digital and created motor toon 1 and 2 , after the success of Gran Turismo, Sony reorganised Polyphony into an independent subsidiary with their own board with Yamauchi the chairman.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 09 October 2018

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

MS probably wanted to keep this a secret and reveal it at their XO event in November. Anyway great news for both parties, now Obsidian can make bigger budget games and MS will have a stronger lineup of games

mutantsushi said:

I do wonder... Would Sony consider buying them? Hell, they don't even need to buy them 100%, they can pony up for a certain stake but only demand console exclusivity, with Sony's console share worth at least 2x as much as Xbox. They could go in on JV holding with other publisher, like THQ Nordic mentioned up thread, to ensure competent adults are over-seeing the business,  so they wouldn't even have to pony up more than MS is, although the developer would be getting higher valuation in that deal.

If Sony brought Obsidian, they will force them only to PS platforms locking them out from there main market. That will not go down well for Obsidian fans and there games which are designed with PC in mind without the limitation of consoles and controllers. Besides Sony probably dont have the buying power especially if MS is in the running.

We know MS will give them freedom to do what they want on PC.

Azzanation said:
mutantsushi said:

I do wonder... Would Sony consider buying them? Hell, they don't even need to buy them 100%, they can pony up for a certain stake but only demand console exclusivity, with Sony's console share worth at least 2x as much as Xbox. They could go in on JV holding with other publisher, like THQ Nordic mentioned up thread, to ensure competent adults are over-seeing the business,  so they wouldn't even have to pony up more than MS is, although the developer would be getting higher valuation in that deal.

If Sony brought Obsidian, they will force them only to PS platforms locking them out from there main market. That will not go down well for Obsidian fans and there games which are designed with PC in mind without the limitation of consoles and controllers. Besides Sony probably dont have the buying power especially if MS is in the running.

We know MS will give them freedom to do what they want on PC.

Maybe I wasn't specific enough, "demanding console exclusivity" means only exclusivity amongst consoles, not excluding PC. My entire point with JV with other publisher is they would have free reign to sell to PC, because it would be fulfilling Sony's primary objective re: console exclusivity. That's worth something to Sony, and if they co-fund the JV, that should be totally acceptable the 3rd party publisher, why is why I wrote Sony doesn't even need to match MS itself if it makes JV that outbids MS (and that higher valuation would be rational, because it would have higher combined market of Sony+PC vs MS' XBOX+PC, MS can't expect as large of $-flow from making it XBOX-PC exclusive). If you're already considering "Sony can't spend on deals equally as MS" then they should be looking for that kind of deal to best leverage their money, if they don't do it then you can see MS doing this deal anyways, so they wouldn't lose anything by allowing the dev to continue both PC+PS.