By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Kotaku- Microsoft is close to buying Obsidian Entertainment

flashfire926 said:
COKTOE said:

If you were to take a closer look at the developers you've listed, do you think you could find differences that would mark any of them as poor comparisons to the potential MS purchase of Obsidian?

These are perfectly fair comparisons. Both, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Microsoft Studios have purchased existing studios that were independent beforehand.

He criticized Microsoft for buying developers instead of creating them for the ground up, yet Sony has done largely the same.

So you've taken a closer look at the developers you've mentioned, and this is your answer? The only one that's comparable is Sony Liverpool, AKA Psygnosis. Polyphony has literally never been anything other that a part of Sony, and all of the other studios you listed were almost exclusively with PS from their inceptions. Most of them were with Sony "from the ground up". Sometimes close to literally, and in all but one case, to a much greater extent than Obsidian was with MS. Poor comparisons.



- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
flashfire926 said:

These are perfectly fair comparisons. Both, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Microsoft Studios have purchased existing studios that were independent beforehand.

He criticized Microsoft for buying developers instead of creating them for the ground up, yet Sony has done largely the same.

So you've taken a closer look at the developers you've mentioned, and this is your answer? The only one that's comparable is Sony Liverpool, AKA Psygnosis. Polyphony has literally never been anything other that a part of Sony, and all of the other studios you listed were almost exclusively with PS from their inceptions. Most of them were with Sony "from the ground up". Sometimes close to literally, and in all but one case, to a much greater extent than Obsidian was with MS. Poor comparisons.

And?

Does that mean Sony hasn't bought developers before?

Are you even following the argument?

 



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

outlawauron said:
Carl said:
No smoke without fire. This isn't exactly the first time this has come up.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=237264&page=1

Like I said before, as long as they have creative freedom then it's a fantastic idea.

Is there much precedent for that?

Ninja Theory said that MS is giving them full creative control. We also know that Rare has had creative control pretty much ever since MS bought them. 



Eh. I rather wished Obsidian games stayed multiplatform. Play on Linux and Switch, not on Windows or XBox, so I might miss out on their games in the future. Which is a loss.



3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

flashfire926 said:
COKTOE said:

If you were to take a closer look at the developers you've listed, do you think you could find differences that would mark any of them as poor comparisons to the potential MS purchase of Obsidian?

These are perfectly fair comparisons. Both, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Microsoft Studios have purchased existing studios that were independent beforehand.

He criticized Microsoft for buying developers instead of creating them for the ground up, yet Sony has done largely the same.

You are correct. But at the same time Sony picked up studios who they had worked with over the course of many years and games.

Obsidian and Microsoft have had a working relationship making games together for how long?



Around the Network
twintail said:
flashfire926 said:

These are perfectly fair comparisons. Both, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Microsoft Studios have purchased existing studios that were independent beforehand.

He criticized Microsoft for buying developers instead of creating them for the ground up, yet Sony has done largely the same.

You are correct. But at the same time Sony picked up studios who they had worked with over the course of many years and games.

Obsidian and Microsoft have had a working relationship making games together for how long?

While what you guys say is true, it doesnt really have any significance or relevance in this argument.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

twintail said:
flashfire926 said:

These are perfectly fair comparisons. Both, Sony Interactive Entertainment and Microsoft Studios have purchased existing studios that were independent beforehand.

He criticized Microsoft for buying developers instead of creating them for the ground up, yet Sony has done largely the same.

You are correct. But at the same time Sony picked up studios who they had worked with over the course of many years and games.

Obsidian and Microsoft have had a working relationship making games together for how long?

They have worked together in the past twice. KOTOR 2 was Xbox console exclusive. Obsidian was also working on an exclusive for Xbox One back in 2012, which got cancelled because MS decided the game was better suited for PC gamers than console gamers as I recall. 



flashfire926 said:
COKTOE said:

So you've taken a closer look at the developers you've mentioned, and this is your answer? The only one that's comparable is Sony Liverpool, AKA Psygnosis. Polyphony has literally never been anything other that a part of Sony, and all of the other studios you listed were almost exclusively with PS from their inceptions. Most of them were with Sony "from the ground up". Sometimes close to literally, and in all but one case, to a much greater extent than Obsidian was with MS. Poor comparisons.

And?
Does that mean Sony hasn't bought developers before?
Are you even following the argument?

And... That means he is a serious person who addresses real context, not somebody who plays cheap games within artificially narrow bounds.
You can decide for yourself which approach yields better self esteem.

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 09 October 2018

I do wonder... Would Sony consider buying them? Hell, they don't even need to buy them 100%, they can pony up for a certain stake but only demand console exclusivity, with Sony's console share worth at least 2x as much as Xbox. They could go in on JV holding with other publisher, like THQ Nordic mentioned up thread, to ensure competent adults are over-seeing the business,  so they wouldn't even have to pony up more than MS is, although the developer would be getting higher valuation in that deal.



flashfire926 said:
COKTOE said:

So you've taken a closer look at the developers you've mentioned, and this is your answer? The only one that's comparable is Sony Liverpool, AKA Psygnosis. Polyphony has literally never been anything other that a part of Sony, and all of the other studios you listed were almost exclusively with PS from their inceptions. Most of them were with Sony "from the ground up". Sometimes close to literally, and in all but one case, to a much greater extent than Obsidian was with MS. Poor comparisons.

And?

Does that mean Sony hasn't bought developers before?

Are you even following the argument?

 

It's nothing short of maddening when somebody posts, their post is quoted, then a THIRD pass is required, because they've forgotten what they've said....We're 3 replies deep. How do I do this without just telling you to look at what was already said so very, very recently? Where did I say that Sony has not bought developers? I said there are significant differences between the developers you listed as being purchased by Sony and the potential purchase of Obsidian by Microsoft. I did this in response to your post: 

"Do you also spite Sony for buying Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, Evolution, Sony Liverpool, Bend, Geurilla Games, Polyphony, etc? Those weren't exactly grown from the ground up.

A poor list. With some poor comparisons.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 09 October 2018

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."