By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Andrzej Sapkowski wants 16 mil from CD Project Red

I don't know the backstory much but he seems like a colossal a**hole because he never believed in the success of the Witcher games and thinks that video games are stupid: https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/9kxeb8/cd_project_red_is_getting_sued_by_the_author_of/

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

He fucked up. He even said a while back ago that they offered him a percentage band he refused to take it. However it's not all doom and gloom for him, while missed out on shitloads of money from the games, book sales without a doubt sky rocketed, and now he managed to license a TV show. This deal certainly benefited him financially, of course not as much as it could have.

Though he has no basis for this lawsuit.

A talanted a*hole it seems. He has no grounds for demanding more money from CDPR, he should have accepted the royalties.

It's important to accept the consequences of your own actions

WolfpackN64 said:
A talanted a*hole it seems. He has no grounds for demanding more money from CDPR, he should have accepted the royalties.

Perfectly sums up the situation. Greedy as most people so no surprise here, but being so ignorant about one of the biggest industries, that's just laughable. 

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

While I'm grateful for the Witcher world and the creativity of the man....

He should just accept he made a fool of himself and could of kept it essentially private. Now millions of people will know of his short-sightedness. Hopefully more than 16 million. Teach him a lesson and cry into his Benjamin's, learn and move on.

I want another Witcher game one day. It would suck if he of all people have the ability to get in the way.

Karma's a bitch

He is quite a tosser when it comes to CDPR - he belittled their work on numerous occasions, generally considers gamers as not intelligent, and even went as far as to say that he lost the same amount of potential readers to association with the games compared to the amount of new readers who came from the games. - talking about ungrateful wanker who gained world wide recognition beacuse of those very games, that he had no faith in when he opted for quick buck instead of royalties back in 97.

Unfortunatelly, it gets a bit more complicated due to some weird Polish law that protects artists against being swindled by coprorate suits, or something like that, so if it ever comes to that, it's not so clear-cut, even though he admited that "They offered me a percentage of their profits. I said, 'No, there will be no profit at all - give me all my money right now! The whole amount. It was stupid. I was stupid enough to leave everything in their hands because I didn't believe in their success. But who could foresee their success? I couldn't."

Ka-pi96 said:
So he gave them the rights to make Witcher games, permanently, for only a one time payment of 9.5k? What an idiot

Yeah, that seems not right. If he gave them the right for one game for a one time payment, that would be right. But for games permanently? That seems off.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:
So he gave them the rights to make Witcher games, permanently, for only a one time payment of 9.5k? What an idiot

Yeah, that seems not right. If he gave them the right for one game for a one time payment, that would be right. But for games permanently? That seems off.

Well it was 1998 and Poland, it had no (legal) video game market, gamers were buying pirated PC games for 5 usd a piece, 10k usd looked like a great deal for back then and there.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.