By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Andrzej Sapkowski wants 16 mil from CD Project Red

Surly he won't win this, he made the mistake, they ordered him the percentage and he turned it down. Please courts, see the dance and tell this idiot he got it wrong and to go back home.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
shikamaru317 said:

On a personal level, yeah, I'd go ahead and offer him like 1 or 2%, the 6% he is asking for is just too much since he is the one that made the mistake (I mean how did he seriously think that $9,500 in cash was more valuable than a percentage back then?), or offer him stock in CD Projekt at least, so he can make some money off of their future endeavors (they stand to make alot of money from Cyberpunk and Witcher 4, GOG.com, etc.). But business is business, CD Projekt may decide that the money is better spent developing future games rather than just giving it away to him. 

They shouldn't give him a penny. Him being a dumbass isn't their fault or problem. If somebody sold you a car for $500 and then a few years later came back asking for another $2k for the car they already sold you you'd just laugh at them and tell them to fuck off, CDPR should do the same.

He should have either made sure royalties were part of the initial deal, or at the very least made it only valid for a limited time, so if the games were succesful then CDPR would eventually have to re-negotiate to continue making them and then he could get more money or a cut of future sales. He screwed up though.

His lawyer says he only sold rights for one game, also does a car classify as an intellectual property?

Under Polish law, he has a case sadly. It looks like this will be settled out of court or he will win.

Utter BS, but it does not matter that he sold it for a lump sum if the IP made vastly more than what he sold it for. Under Polish law he is still entitled to more money.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

BraLoD said:
Ka-pi96 said:
So he gave them the rights to make Witcher games, permanently, for only a one time payment of 9.5k? What an idiot

The opposite will happen to me in some years.

I'll approach Sony with a million dollars for them to make a new LoD for a percentage of the series (yes, series!) sales.

They'll tell me: lol, fine, we'll accept your money you idiot.

10 years after that I'll be a billionaire.

A millionaire in debt with billions

shikamaru317 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

They shouldn't give him a penny. Him being a dumbass isn't their fault or problem. If somebody sold you a car for $500 and then a few years later came back asking for another $2k for the car they already sold you you'd just laugh at them and tell them to fuck off, CDPR should do the same.

He should have either made sure royalties were part of the initial deal, or at the very least made it only valid for a limited time, so if the games were succesful then CDPR would eventually have to re-negotiate to continue making them and then he could get more money or a cut of future sales. He screwed up though.

Legally they owe him nothing, but I guess I'm just an overly nice guy. CDP has made hundreds of millions off of a franchise that they only paid him a paltry $9,500 for the rights to. Sure it is his own fault for making such a bad deal, but he created this fantastic franchise and CD Projekt would never have found their current enormous success without the IP that he created. Even though they owe him nothing, it would be a nice gesture of goodwill on their part to at least offer him a decent amount of CDP stock, so that he can make some money off of future Witcher games and such. 

Under Polish Law, legally they owe him more money regardless.  It sucks, but it is true.

Around the Network
Shiken said:

Under Polish law, he has a case sadly. It looks like this will be settled out of court or he will win. Under Polish law he is still entitled to more money.

How "sadly"? How is modern Western IP norms some universal natural ethics?
If Western companies use courts to enforce law to the hilt to their benefit, what is problem with him using courts to enforce Polish law?
People are so indoctrinated to idea of law working in favor of corporations and saavy insiders, they can't comprehend when law protects un-savvy citizen.
The law annulling contract features which are deemed societally unacceptabe is routine procedure, regardless of specific details here.
(I'm saying this not as any fan of Polish government, whose jingoism of current and predecessor governments is not my cup of tea)

I'd be curious if perhap a Polish poster could clarify better the terms of the dispute.
It sounds like there isn't any case for very 1st game, and possibly not the other already made ones...
But the law would enable him to end contract applicability to potential games? (CDPR then having choice to negotiate anew, or not make them)

shikamaru317 said:
Shiken said:

Under Polish Law, legally they owe him more money regardless.  It sucks, but it is true.

Sounds like Polish law is terrible then. If he signed a contract giving them lifetime Witcher game rights like CD Projekt claims, they should owe him nothing. 

Oh I agree...but what we feel should happen is not necessarily what will happen.  Apparently if CD Project Red made substantially more than what the lump sum was, the original owner is "protected" in a way that entitles him/her to more money.

mutantsushi said:
Shiken said:

Under Polish law, he has a case sadly. It looks like this will be settled out of court or he will win. Under Polish law he is still entitled to more money.

How "sadly"? How is modern Western IP norms some universal natural ethics?
If Western companies use courts to enforce law to the hilt to their benefit, what is problem with him using courts to enforce Polish law?
People are so indoctrinated to idea of law working in favor of corporations and saavy insiders, they can't comprehend when law protects un-savvy citizen.
The law annulling contract features which are deemed societally unacceptabe is routine procedure, regardless of specific details here.
(I'm saying this not as any fan of Polish government, whose jingoism of current and predecessor governments is not my cup of tea)

I'd be curious if perhap a Polish poster could clarify better the terms of the dispute.
It sounds like there isn't any case for very 1st game, and possibly not the other already made ones...
But the law would enable him to end contract applicability to potential games? (CDPR then having choice to negotiate anew, or not make them)

When I say sadly, I am simply implying that in my opinion, since he signed a contract to allow CDPR to use the IP for just a lump sum, that should be all he gets, as per the contract.  He has every right to use the law in his favor however, I am not saying he doesn't or shouldn't.

BraLoD said:
bananaking21 said:

A millionaire in debt with billions

A billionaire in possesion of a massive dragoon empire.

I multi quoted you by mistake...but hi!

I learned from this to always get your royalties for your creations!

Also the games made me buy the first book and I loved it! He should be damn grateful his franchise is becoming more well known all because of the GAMES.

Shiken said:

Under Polish law, he has a case sadly. It looks like this will be settled out of court or he will win.

Utter BS, but it does not matter that he sold it for a lump sum if the IP made vastly more than what he sold it for. Under Polish law he is still entitled to more money.

I was about to point this, this is why CD projekt is trying to come to an agreement. Again I understand most of us are gamers here and CDprojekt fans, but the guy who wrote the books deserves some sort of royalties it is only fair, not the whole sum but at least a few mill. That polish law makes sense it was probably created to prevent idiots from getting exploited, which is what happened here. C'mon 9.5k? He also says apparently that it wasn't for 3 games just for one.

shikamaru317 said:
SammyGiireal said:

I was about to point this, this is why CD projekt is trying to come to an agreement. Again I understand most of us are gamers here and CDprojekt fans, but the guy who wrote the books deserves some sort of royalties it is only fair, not the whole sum but at least a few mill. That polish law makes sense it was probably created to prevent idiots from getting exploited, which is what happened here. C'mon 9.5k? He also says apparently that it wasn't for 3 games just for one.

I'm dubious of that claim personally. If that was true, he would have sued them when they announced Witcher 2 without his permission. But yeah, I agree that CDP should try and settle this amicably, if they let this go to court and he wins back the game rights from them, it kills our chances of Witcher 4, which would leave me gutted, I need Witcher 4 with Ciri as the main character so badly. 

I think the author should get a percentage and let them make W4. The author will make more money that way. It will probably even sell better than the 3rd.