By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Andrzej Sapkowski wants 16 mil from CD Project Red

SammyGiireal said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm dubious of that claim personally. If that was true, he would have sued them when they announced Witcher 2 without his permission. But yeah, I agree that CDP should try and settle this amicably, if they let this go to court and he wins back the game rights from them, it kills our chances of Witcher 4, which would leave me gutted, I need Witcher 4 with Ciri as the main character so badly. 

I think the author should get a percentage and let them make W4. The author will make more money that way. It will probably even sell better than the 3rd.

They offered him a percentage in the beginning  and because of his poor attitude towards games he refused so in my view he really  doesn't deserve anything and should be made to live with his decision.

Around the Network
mutantsushi said:
Shiken said:

Under Polish law, he has a case sadly. It looks like this will be settled out of court or he will win. Under Polish law he is still entitled to more money.

How "sadly"? How is modern Western IP norms some universal natural ethics?
If Western companies use courts to enforce law to the hilt to their benefit, what is problem with him using courts to enforce Polish law?
People are so indoctrinated to idea of law working in favor of corporations and saavy insiders, they can't comprehend when law protects un-savvy citizen.
The law annulling contract features which are deemed societally unacceptabe is routine procedure, regardless of specific details here.
(I'm saying this not as any fan of Polish government, whose jingoism of current and predecessor governments is not my cup of tea)

I'd be curious if perhap a Polish poster could clarify better the terms of the dispute.
It sounds like there isn't any case for very 1st game, and possibly not the other already made ones...
But the law would enable him to end contract applicability to potential games? (CDPR then having choice to negotiate anew, or not make them)

He agreed to something himself. He made a bad decision, the law shouldnt be a tool for someone to turn their bad decisions in to good fortune. CD should do everything in their power to ruin this man. Ruin his reputation, his name and his finances. The 16 million he wants? They should spend it all on wrecking him.

SammyGiireal said:
shikamaru317 said:

I'm dubious of that claim personally. If that was true, he would have sued them when they announced Witcher 2 without his permission. But yeah, I agree that CDP should try and settle this amicably, if they let this go to court and he wins back the game rights from them, it kills our chances of Witcher 4, which would leave me gutted, I need Witcher 4 with Ciri as the main character so badly. 

I think the author should get a percentage and let them make W4. The author will make more money that way. It will probably even sell better than the 3rd.

He should get nothing. It's his fault he agreed to something. When you make a mistake you get to learn from it. You don't get to make the law undo that mistake 20 years later. CD should send him a cheque for 1 cent to rub it in, because this man is acting in a reprehensible way trying to rip them off. He even admits it.

Mnementh said:
Ka-pi96 said:
So he gave them the rights to make Witcher games, permanently, for only a one time payment of 9.5k? What an idiot

Yeah, that seems not right. If he gave them the right for one game for a one time payment, that would be right. But for games permanently? That seems off.

They offered him a percentage of the profits. He insisted on an upfront lump sum payment. I'm not sure how Polish law works. But he admitted in an interview with Eurogamer that he fucked up. We know he was the one that insisted on the lump sum payment because he admitted. If he took the deal CDPR offered him initially he'd be getting a cut of all their profits from The Witcher. He shouldn't be rewarded when he, not CDPR, screwed himself. I mean should the dude that cashed out early on Microsoft be entitled to billions because the company ended up being more successful that he thought? Nope.