By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crossplay coming to Fortnite PS4 Today!

Funny thing I knew this would happen based on how much money Fortnite is pulling in. Right now it's a rough estimate that Fortnite Influence/Sales number on ps4 is roughly 1.4 Billion since launch. https://youtu.be/NW2yq8zapRA, there is no way PS4 would even consider this if it wasn't for Fortnite's clout/sales. 

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

"you are certainly implying that you are ok with it to some degree"

>To a degree: XBox policies are only in play while playing on XBox.

Prior to Sony's reversal, PlayStation policies were in play EVEN WHEN OUTSIDE of PlayStation. This became an issue when the Switch released because there were PS4 owners who picked up a Switch and wanted to play their Fortnite account on the Switch only to find out that they couldn't because PlayStation had essentially compromised their Fortnite account.

"You think what PS did was worse, but I would easily say I'd rather be able to play Fortnite and be stuck to a platform that allows me to play it, then not be able to play it at all. Now you don't have to be stuck to PS4 anymore, but you just may be stuck to XB."

>Well that's you. I think that many PS4+Switch owners found out that they couldn't access their Fortnite account on their Switch and vice-versa with no means of recovering their hijacked account so they complained. X1+Switch owners didn't have this limitation: they could go back and forth just fine and only begrudgingly paid the $60 for online or just played on their Switch with little delay. Some X1 owners might have already been paying for online prior so it didn't make a difference to them.

If you're looking for a metaphor, here it is:

Let's say you have a custom-built motorcycle you put money into building to your liking and there are three tracks wherein you can ride your motorcycle. These tracks are named as follows: Switch, PlayStation, and XBox.

If you have ever driven your motorcycle in PlayStation, that motorcycle was no longer your own to use as you saw fit. At the end of your visit to the PlayStation track, PlayStation took that motorcycle from you. You could not ride it in Switch or XBox ever again and PlayStation never warned you! If you wanted to drive in XBox, you needed to pay a fee for access BUT the track would NOT take your motorcycle from you. XBox was okay with you riding it in Switch fine which does not charge you an access fee.

I, and I think most people, would prefer to have two tracks to ride in as opposed to just one. Yes, XBox charged a fee for access but it didn't take your motorcycle from you at the end of the day. The Switch track was always an option.

The policies are also outside of XB. If I own a PS4/Switch and XB1, and I play Fortnite, and I don't have paid online for any console, when I want to play Fortnite on XB, I can't, because I don't have their online service. I now am inconvenienced in some way. The XB way is a paywall, the PS way was locked accounts. The PS way is no longer an issue, so what about XB now?

Why didn't they begrudgingly continue to play on PS4 instead?

Incorrect. The track is called Fortnite and is owned by Epic. The bike brands that exist are PS, XB, and SW. There used to be two separate tracks that were exactly the same, except the one track had more wear than the other. Out of the 3 bikes, PS and SW could ride/race for free, but XB riders had to pay $60 every year to XB, for a pass to be able to ride/race. If you rode a SW or XB bike, you could ride/race on the same track at the same time, but if you were a PS rider, you could only ride/race with other PS riders on the second more worn track.

Today. The track is still called Fortnite and is still owned by Epic and has received upgrades and updates. The bike brands that still exist are PS, XB, and SW. One track is still open, and the other is in question. Out of the 3 bikes, PS and SW can still ride/race for free, and XB riders still have to pay $60 per year to XB, for a pass to be able to ride/race. All 3 bike brands now ride/race on the same track at the same time. Due to the PS newcomers, there could be issue's with them since they are unfamiliar with this particular tracks wear, and it's typical XB and SW riders, etc, and that may lead to some frustration for the PS riders, but over time it will all be worked out, or the PS riders will go back to their old track.

EricHiggin said:
KLAMarine said:

"you are certainly implying that you are ok with it to some degree"

>To a degree: XBox policies are only in play while playing on XBox.

Prior to Sony's reversal, PlayStation policies were in play EVEN WHEN OUTSIDE of PlayStation. This became an issue when the Switch released because there were PS4 owners who picked up a Switch and wanted to play their Fortnite account on the Switch only to find out that they couldn't because PlayStation had essentially compromised their Fortnite account.

"You think what PS did was worse, but I would easily say I'd rather be able to play Fortnite and be stuck to a platform that allows me to play it, then not be able to play it at all. Now you don't have to be stuck to PS4 anymore, but you just may be stuck to XB."

>Well that's you. I think that many PS4+Switch owners found out that they couldn't access their Fortnite account on their Switch and vice-versa with no means of recovering their hijacked account so they complained. X1+Switch owners didn't have this limitation: they could go back and forth just fine and only begrudgingly paid the $60 for online or just played on their Switch with little delay. Some X1 owners might have already been paying for online prior so it didn't make a difference to them.

If you're looking for a metaphor, here it is:

Let's say you have a custom-built motorcycle you put money into building to your liking and there are three tracks wherein you can ride your motorcycle. These tracks are named as follows: Switch, PlayStation, and XBox.

If you have ever driven your motorcycle in PlayStation, that motorcycle was no longer your own to use as you saw fit. At the end of your visit to the PlayStation track, PlayStation took that motorcycle from you. You could not ride it in Switch or XBox ever again and PlayStation never warned you! If you wanted to drive in XBox, you needed to pay a fee for access BUT the track would NOT take your motorcycle from you. XBox was okay with you riding it in Switch fine which does not charge you an access fee.

I, and I think most people, would prefer to have two tracks to ride in as opposed to just one. Yes, XBox charged a fee for access but it didn't take your motorcycle from you at the end of the day. The Switch track was always an option.

The policies are also outside of XB. If I own a PS4/Switch and XB1, and I play Fortnite, and I don't have paid online for any console, when I want to play Fortnite on XB, I can't, because I don't have their online service. I now am inconvenienced in some way. The XB way is a paywall, the PS way was locked accounts. The PS way is no longer an issue, so what about XB now?

Incorrect. The track is called Fortnite and is owned by Epic. The bike brands that exist are PS, XB, and SW. There used to be two separate tracks that were exactly the same, except the one track had more wear than the other. Out of the 3 bikes, PS and SW could ride/race for free, but XB riders had to pay $60 every year to XB, for a pass to be able to ride/race. If you rode a SW or XB bike, you could ride/race on the same track at the same time, but if you were a PS rider, you could only ride/race with other PS riders on the second more worn track.

Today. The track is still called Fortnite and is still owned by Epic and has received upgrades and updates. The bike brands that still exist are PS, XB, and SW. One track is still open, and the other is in question. Out of the 3 bikes, PS and SW can still ride/race for free, and XB riders still have to pay $60 per year to XB, for a pass to be able to ride/race. All 3 bike brands now ride/race on the same track at the same time. Due to the PS newcomers, there could be issue's with them since they are unfamiliar with this particular tracks wear, and it's typical XB and SW riders, etc, and that may lead to some frustration for the PS riders, but over time it will all be worked out, or the PS riders will go back to their old track.

"The policies are also outside of XB. If I own a PS4/Switch and XB1, and I play Fortnite, and I don't have paid online for any console, when I want to play Fortnite on XB, I can't, because I don't have their online service. I now am inconvenienced in some way."

>Yes, you're inconvenienced when playing Fortnite on XBox. You don't need to pay the yearly subscription when playing your Fortnite account outside of XBox.

"The XB way is a paywall, the PS way was locked accounts. The PS way is no longer an issue, so what about XB now?"

>Someone should gather up all the people outraged by XBox's approach and petition XBox to change their policy.

"Why didn't they begrudgingly continue to play on PS4 instead?"

>Perhaps PlayStation's taking of accounts was a new low for the industry so they didn't play Fortnite on PS anymore.

KLAMarine said:
EricHiggin said:

"The policies are also outside of XB. If I own a PS4/Switch and XB1, and I play Fortnite, and I don't have paid online for any console, when I want to play Fortnite on XB, I can't, because I don't have their online service. I now am inconvenienced in some way."

>Yes, you're inconvenienced when playing Fortnite on XBox. You don't need to pay the yearly subscription when playing your Fortnite account outside of XBox.

"The XB way is a paywall, the PS way was locked accounts. The PS way is no longer an issue, so what about XB now?"

>Someone should gather up all the people outraged by XBox's approach and petition XBox to change their policy.

>Perhaps PlayStation's taking of accounts was a new low for the industry so they didn't play Fortnite on PS anymore.

You would be inconvenienced because you would always know if you ever want to play Fortnite on XB, you can't, even though it very well be your only choice sometimes. That wouldn't stop most from playing Fortnite on PS4 or SW when they had the chance though. Just like how people were inconvenienced knowing even though they could still play Fortnite on SW for free or XB if they paid, that their progression was locked on PS4. It's the mindset that is the problem when it comes to policies reaching outside the ecosystem. Some were angry because their progression was locked down, some are now angry because they can't play everywhere for free as it's meant to be.

I like your idea about a petition for the XB approach, I just wonder why that's the appropriate way to approach them, while constantly harassing PS with tweets and bad press non stop, was the right way to deal with PS? If that was necessary to get PS to fall in line, why would XB be any different based on their past?

So if PS4 locks your account down so you have to play on PS4, which isn't cool since it wasn't clear initially that would happen, people would be justified in boycotting PS4 for Fortnite, but if XB asks you to pay $60 upfront for an F2P game, which isn't cool either, you shouldn't necessarily boycott them but instead begrudgingly pay the fee?

You say you think XB has an issue they need to deal with in terms of charging for F2P games, but your also making a lot of excuses for them as to why they could have and still can continue to charge for it. Hopefully XB does it sooner than later, but since PS took as long as they did to get cross accounts/play going for Fortnite, I guess it's only fair XB be given a similar amount of time to drop the paywall. I would sure hope when that time is up, if that paywall isn't down, that XB feels the same wrath that PS did, but consistency doesn't seem to be a quality that complainers have.

EricHiggin said:
KLAMarine said:

You would be inconvenienced because you would always know if you ever want to play Fortnite on XB, you can't, even though it very well be your only choice sometimes. That wouldn't stop most from playing Fortnite on PS4 or SW when they had the chance though. Just like how people were inconvenienced knowing even though they could still play Fortnite on SW for free or XB if they paid, that their progression was locked on PS4. It's the mindset that is the problem when it comes to policies reaching outside the ecosystem. Some were angry because their progression was locked down, some are now angry because they can't play everywhere for free as it's meant to be.

I like your idea about a petition for the XB approach, I just wonder why that's the appropriate way to approach them, while constantly harassing PS with tweets and bad press non stop, was the right way to deal with PS? If that was necessary to get PS to fall in line, why would XB be any different based on their past?

So if PS4 locks your account down so you have to play on PS4, which isn't cool since it wasn't clear initially that would happen, people would be justified in boycotting PS4 for Fortnite, but if XB asks you to pay $60 upfront for an F2P game, which isn't cool either, you shouldn't necessarily boycott them but instead begrudgingly pay the fee?

You say you think XB has an issue they need to deal with in terms of charging for F2P games, but your also making a lot of excuses for them as to why they could have and still can continue to charge for it. Hopefully XB does it sooner than later, but since PS took as long as they did to get cross accounts/play going for Fortnite, I guess it's only fair XB be given a similar amount of time to drop the paywall. I would sure hope when that time is up, if that paywall isn't down, that XB feels the same wrath that PS did, but consistency doesn't seem to be a quality that complainers have.

"You would be inconvenienced because you would always know if you ever want to play Fortnite on XB, you can't, even though it very well be your only choice sometimes."

>You can if you pay the $60 yearly subscription.

"I like your idea about a petition for the XB approach, I just wonder why that's the appropriate way to approach them, while constantly harassing PS with tweets and bad press non stop, was the right way to deal with PS? If that was necessary to get PS to fall in line, why would XB be any different based on their past?"

>It could work but as far as I know, there doesn't seem to be much outcry.

"So if PS4 locks your account down so you have to play on PS4, which isn't cool since it wasn't clear initially that would happen, people would be justified in boycotting PS4 for Fortnite, but if XB asks you to pay $60 upfront for an F2P game, which isn't cool either, you shouldn't necessarily boycott them but instead begrudgingly pay the fee?"

>One could boycott X1 if they please. Why not?

"You say you think XB has an issue they need to deal with in terms of charging for F2P games, but your also making a lot of excuses for them as to why they could have and still can continue to charge for it."

>Yeah, as long as they leave my Fortnite account alone and I am still able to play it on PS4 or Switch, Microsoft can do whatever they hell they want on XBox.

Around the Network

So did anyone will a PS4 account that wanted to play on Switch but couldn't try playing on Switch? Did it work? Did they unlock the 3rd party accounts from PS4? Or was it just, "well now Switch, PC, XBox, and phones can play with us, but you still can't leave our platform"?

Just so everyone can see past the PR. Sony's Answer "Now enabling cross-play isn’t just a flip of a switch and there you go. It’s a very multi-dimensional attribute or feature."
https://wccftech.com/fortnite-crossplay-on-again/
Well it doesn't seem that hard Mr Sony.

Azzanation said:
Just so everyone can see past the PR. Sony's Answer "Now enabling cross-play isn’t just a flip of a switch and there you go. It’s a very multi-dimensional attribute or feature."

Earlier this gen it was MS who couldn't just flip the switch, and later in the gen it was PS. Nin did it literally though.

HylianSwordsman said:
So did anyone will a PS4 account that wanted to play on Switch but couldn't try playing on Switch? Did it work? Did they unlock the 3rd party accounts from PS4? Or was it just, "well now Switch, PC, XBox, and phones can play with us, but you still can't leave our platform"?

My account is linked to my PC, PS4, and Switch now.  I am able to use everything in my locker in game on all three versions, with exception being that I can't use the PS+ exclusive skins and items on the Switch.

EricHiggin said:
Azzanation said:

Earlier this gen it was MS who couldn't just flip the switch, and later in the gen it was PS. Nin did it literally though.

Yeah they all do it, its just sad that these conpanies continue to lie to us especially after its been proven to work. Greed is an evil thing.