By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crossplay coming to Fortnite PS4 Today!

"The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective."

Looks like they've finally done something about it!

Read more at the PlayStation Blog

Great news and I hope it goes smoothly and comes to many more games. As it says progression and commerce will be crossplatform also I guess that means ps4 accounts will now (soon?) be usable on Xbox and Switch.

Around the Network
Barkley said:

"The first step will be an open beta beginning today for Fortnite that will allow for cross platform gameplay, progression and commerce across PlayStation 4, Android, iOS, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, Microsoft Windows, and Mac operating systems. We see the beta as an opportunity to conduct thorough testing that ensures cross-platform play is best on PlayStation, while being mindful about the user experience from both a technical and social perspective."

Looks like they've finally done something about it!

Read more at the PlayStation Blog

Great news and I hope it goes smoothly and comes to many more games. As it says progression and commerce will be crossplatform also I guess that means ps4 accounts will now (soon?) be usable on Xbox and Switch.

That seems to be nothing less than exactly what this means. I'm a bit surprised it's not just progression and commerce, as opposed to full-blown cross-play.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

So now everyone is happy? Or is there still that odd representation of Sony fans that claimed they didn't want crossplay, and now they are upset? Or was it all a ruse?

That's awesome. Crossplay is just great for consoles that might not have a big audience for certain games.

I am really surprised sony is considering it.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
Boo!

@Sony you're a bunch of spineless cowards! You never should have caved!

You're right of course. Hey look buddy. They can still tell Bethesda to take their card game and go get f***ed.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

First Nintendo reveals the six month grace period for their online service, now Sony allows crossplay. We face a severe lack of reasons to complain, folks!

An open beta?
So what, are they going to bring back the bug that was first there when crossplay happened that allowed players to play with everyone.

No beta is needed. Crossplay works.

As for this beta, they better make it permanent. Imagine if this beta is just temp and they go back to how it was. They just use this beta to get everyone who hasn't yet logged into their fortnite account on PSN to do it and then go back to prior, thus locking their accounts to Sony's ecosystem. I can't imagine even Sony would be dumb enough to attempt that. The shitstorm they would receive if not the legal battle would immense.

Long term, this will be a good move. As more platforms become gaming enabled thanks to new players in the hardware space, and the advancement of game streaming, this will ensure Sony maintains their userbase. As gaming grows thanks to the expansion of available platforms, this will mean PlayStation can be in the race for even more users in the future.

So, they got PS Now right, and now online MP is secure. Just need to address Backward Compatibility, Multimedia, and Mobile they will be in good shape moving forward.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Of course they caved. Despite some naysayers, the community that wants crossplay won.