By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crossplay coming to Fortnite PS4 Today!

Train wreck said:
RolStoppable said:

The PS4 locked out the majority of the player base. I was talking about console sales and the snowball effect. Someone who was looking to buy a console and considered Fortnite as a game they wanted to play wasn't going to look at the PS4 favorably, because it limited the freedom of choice.

Sony didn't change their mind on crossplay because of kindness. It's business, and they realized that they were on the wrong side of a growing trend. Better to act now than to wait and allow other consoles to gain positive traction with free-to-play crossplay titles.

The majority of the playerbase would be PC, mobile and Playstation themselves which all had crossplay with each other.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/13/playstation-store-julys-top-downloads-3/

Second sentence doesn't make sense all Fortnite is still the top downloaded Free to play game on PSN even after the hoopla (and has been for years) meaning that new and old buyer alike are still downloading the game.  Also Matt Piscatella from NPD mentions that Fortnite is still the main driver of sales for consoles during this past summer.

Yeah, this was mostly a "vocal minority" issue.  The average gamer was unaffected or didn't care.  Forums like this over exaggerate the impact greatly.

The more meaningful impetus would be from negotiations with developers and publishers, who desperately want this to become the norm for their own benefit.  

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Train wreck said:

The majority of the playerbase would be PC, mobile and Playstation themselves which all had crossplay with each other.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/08/13/playstation-store-julys-top-downloads-3/

Second sentence doesn't make sense all Fortnite is still the top downloaded Free to play game on PSN even after the hoopla (and has been for years) meaning that new and old buyer alike are still downloading the game.  Also Matt Piscatella from NPD mentions that Fortnite is still the main driver of sales for consoles during this past summer.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing?

Agree that it was a business decision, disagree with the response to In what way was playing Fortnite on PS4 any different to any other platform? Genuinely curious as I don't play it. Were the controls worse? Downgraded graphics?

pokoko said:
Train wreck said:

Yeah, this was mostly a "vocal minority" issue.  The average gamer was unaffected or didn't care.  Forums like this over exaggerate the impact greatly.

The more meaningful impetus would be from negotiations with developers and publishers, who desperately want this to become the norm for their own benefit.  

Right?!  But lets not get too crazy with making sense...

Kudos, Sony. I knew that in the end you would do the right thing in the end.

edit: Hopefully crossplay support comes to other games like Rocket League and Paladins. I give Sony a pass for Minecraft due to having to log in to XBL, understandably.

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 26 September 2018

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Oh well. I guess Sony is listening now. They were ballsy not caving in quickly to the demands, but it's cool they've listened.

Around the Network

MS just released a Fortnite bundle and touted the ability to play with other consoles. I wonder if MS and Nintendo are actually happy about this?

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

OTBWY said:
Kerotan said:
Absolutely fantastic news. Good guy Sony does it again. So happy to hear this!

That's what you want and maybe even expect me to say right? Well guess what I still believe we shouldn't have cross play with xbox which is the main competitor to the platform i game on. Switch, pc and mobile I've no problem. So while I'm not happy i accept it and I'll curiously watch to see who this move benefits the most long term.

Can anybody explain to me how this will benefit Sony more then xbox? Because atm I'm leaning towards it being the opposite.

Dude...

Why in the hell would you ever be against what your fellow fans/ps4 owners want. You should be for it, because there are people that want it, despite Sony's stance which should not be your concern. A little solidarity doesn't hurt. For example: I mean, everyone knows I am all for Nintendo. The online has issues. I for one don't put much value in achievements, but I know people that do. So why would I be against it? If it means something to them, then I am also for it. I would want them to be satisfied with the platform they invested in.

You should do the same.

I outlined my reasons before. They are selfish reasons. I don't have a single irl friend who plays xbox over PlayStation. Literally everybody in our gaming circle of about 30 people are on ps4. Some have xbox but they mainly use ps4. So no cross play doesn't bother me. 

Why don't I want it? When 360 was doing well and ps3 wasn't my gaming experience suffered. Microsoft getting timed exclusives and dlc early such as gta 4 and cod. Sony for once looked like they might get knocked out of the console business. So from a selfish point of view i want ps4 to dominate it's market. And imo crossplay is more favourable to xbox then ps4. 

So all in all its no big deal for me having it but if I had the choice I'd go without it. As a matter of fact i have pc cross play turned off on all games i play and will switch off xbox players too. 

Good to hear. Especially good for third parties who want their playerbase to not be split.

Sony

GoOnKid said: 

First Nintendo reveals the six month grace period for their online service, now Sony allows crossplay. We face a severe lack of reasons to complain, folks!

Six months? When was this revealed? I'm curious...

glad if only that i don't have to hear this topic anymore, or the tired talk of sony being arrogant. now perhaps MS can get some shit for putting free to play games behind a paywall. maybe we should call them arrogant or something. won't hold my breath

Personally don't care about cross play but happy for those who care.but I am really glad that PlayStation allowed cross play with the competition because it proves that they are not arrogant and backward thinking like Xbox and nintendo.xbox didn't even care for crossplay previous gen and at the start of the generation.they only care for it to throw shade at PlayStation.also this decision proves that they listen to the fans not only on the game front also the features.4theplayers indeed.they deserved to be the leader of this generation also I hope this continue in the future too.