By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Crossplay coming to Fortnite PS4 Today!

EricHiggin said:
KLAMarine said:

"If they were truly about being pro-consumer, all of this pushback would now be turned towards MS for having a paywall for a F2P game."

>Sony's locking out Epic accounts was anti-consumer on a higher level. It transcended platforms.

XBox's F2P policy has no effect on PS4 or Switch.

It does though. The reason it crossed over was because Fortnite was designed in a way that cross play/accounts was expected by Epic for the game to function as designed. PS locking accounts made that impossible because you couldn't continue your progress if you owned multiple platforms.

Now that cross play exists between all 3 platforms, if someone has a PS4, and a friend has an XB1 but doesn't have Live for whatever reason, you can't play Fortnite with them because XB is locking Fortnite behind a paywall. Fortnite was designed as an F2P game, and MS isn't honoring that, just like how PS wasn't before.

Just like how it was the choice of PS to do what they wanted with cross play, it's also the choice of XB what they want to do with paywalls. The point is if people are logically going to be outraged over PS locking accounts which hinders cross access to Fortnite, then they also need to be outraged that XB is locking access entirely for some to Fortnite.

If you were willing to spend time bashing PS for their anti consumer behavior, then you should be doing the same for MS now. If you aren't, then you will understand why many people weren't taking you seriously before, and most certainly won't in the future. (I mean 'you' in general btw, not you specifically)

I'm not convinced. PS was effectively hijacking accounts merely by the act of associating the account with PS thereby locking it away from use on a Switch. Meanwhile, on XB1, the association can take place without fear of having the account locked away from the Switch. I completely agree it's shameful for XBox to lock f2p behind their paywall but at least people didn't have to fear XBox would render a Fortnite account unusable on a Switch.

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:
EricHiggin said:

It does though. The reason it crossed over was because Fortnite was designed in a way that cross play/accounts was expected by Epic for the game to function as designed. PS locking accounts made that impossible because you couldn't continue your progress if you owned multiple platforms.

Now that cross play exists between all 3 platforms, if someone has a PS4, and a friend has an XB1 but doesn't have Live for whatever reason, you can't play Fortnite with them because XB is locking Fortnite behind a paywall. Fortnite was designed as an F2P game, and MS isn't honoring that, just like how PS wasn't before.

Just like how it was the choice of PS to do what they wanted with cross play, it's also the choice of XB what they want to do with paywalls. The point is if people are logically going to be outraged over PS locking accounts which hinders cross access to Fortnite, then they also need to be outraged that XB is locking access entirely for some to Fortnite.

If you were willing to spend time bashing PS for their anti consumer behavior, then you should be doing the same for MS now. If you aren't, then you will understand why many people weren't taking you seriously before, and most certainly won't in the future. (I mean 'you' in general btw, not you specifically)

I'm not convinced. PS was effectively hijacking accounts merely by the act of associating the account with PS thereby locking it away from use on a Switch. Meanwhile, on XB1, the association can take place without fear of having the account locked away from the Switch. I completely agree it's shameful for XBox to lock f2p behind their paywall but at least people didn't have to fear XBox would render a Fortnite account unusable on a Switch.

For those who could actually attain a Fortnite account on XB1...

Are they just to be shunned like the 'poor peasants' they 'must be' if they can't afford a measly $60 for a free game?

Just played Fortnite on my PS4 pro with my stepson while he was on his Switch. Glad Sony came around in the end (even if it was due to backlash).

It at least shows that they are listening.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Dr.Vita said:
What are the chances to see games like Call of Duty or even Dark Souls to follow this path?

This started because there seems to be a lot of Switch owners who also have a PS4 or Xbox One or PC. Once Fortnite came out on Switch. They realize that they couldnt use their PS4 account on the Switch, and couldn't play with PS4 owners. 

Sooo if we go the same routine, Switch will be the key to ending this issue. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Errorist76 said:
RaptorChrist said:
So now everyone is happy? Or is there still that odd representation of Sony fans that claimed they didn't want crossplay, and now they are upset? Or was it all a ruse?

I’m curious if the discussion now will move on to MS, who hide Fortnite and other ftp games behind their Gold paywall.

It wont. Because it will not benefit Sony and Nintendo fans. 

While this fortnite issue did because it People couldnt use their PS4 account (or logged it on a PS4) to the Switch. And how they can play with their friends who have a PS4. It benefited all gamers. 

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
KLAMarine said:

For those who could actually attain a Fortnite account on XB1...

Are they just to be shunned like the 'poor peasants' they 'must be' if they can't afford a measly $60 for a free game?

No but everyone has their price. If someone isn't cool with XBox policy, I advise they go to PS, Switch, or PC. If someone is okay with it, who am I to tell them how they should spend their money?

Neodegenerate said:
Mr Puggsly said:

That would be nice, but I fail to see why a free game should have access to online free.

If anything, paid games should have free online.

Crossplay is different, it simply doesent isloate platforms. You cant buy your way around that.

At this point Xbox is the only platform that requires a subscription to play Fortnite.  You don't need PS Plus, you don't need Nintendo Online, but you do need Xbox Live.  Odd man out on it atm.

Yeah, so if you want Fortnite with crossplay and without an online subscription than I would highly suggest a PS4.

But again, its the lack of cross play on the PS4 version you couldn't buy your way around. There was no option until Sony relinquished.

What's happening here is people are now attacking MS because Sony FINALLY gave up a bad policy.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Kerotan said:
Neodegenerate said:

At this point Xbox is the only platform that requires a subscription to play Fortnite.  You don't need PS Plus, you don't need Nintendo Online, but you do need Xbox Live.  Odd man out on it atm.

Yeah it's actually shocking that there's no massive outcry regarding this. If it was the other way around I bet you Microsoft would be constantly promoting campaigns against it like they did crossplay. Sony on the other hand say absolutely nothing and let Microsoft away with this.

So next gen will Sony join them or will Microsoft join Sony? Or maybe both will keep their current policy. 

Actually, there was an outcry around when the gen started. Most notably when Elder Scrolls Online released.

I repeat, playing online is something you could buy your way around whether its fair or not. There was no option for cross play, Sony made a complete barrier that consumers hated.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

KLAMarine said:
EricHiggin said:

So you at least admit it was all about cross-progression in Fortnite in truth, NOT cross-play. Great. Not that we didn't know this before.

Jranation said:
Errorist76 said:

I’m curious if the discussion now will move on to MS, who hide Fortnite and other ftp games behind their Gold paywall.

It wont. Because it will not benefit Sony and Nintendo fans. 

You're right, it would benefit XBox players. A bit hypocritical to dismiss that, don't you think?

Mr Puggsly said: 
Neodegenerate said: 

Yeah, so if you want Fortnite with crossplay and without an online subscription than I would highly suggest a PS4.

But again, its the lack of cross play on the PS4 version you couldn't buy your way around. There was no option until Sony relinquished.

What's happening here is people are now attacking MS because Sony FINALLY gave up a bad policy.

Unless the whole thing was just constructed in order to hurt Sony PR wise (was it?) and that's why everyone was into it so much, it's just fair to point at the one pointing with a huge red "ANTI-CONSUMER" arrow at Sony having their own anti-consumer measures in place. At least if you'd want to have a fair discussion and are really interested in what's best for consumers.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 28 September 2018