By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 36 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - September 03-09, 2018

Kerotan said:
Megiddo said:
Yeah, seems like the only thing that will push more PS4 consoles in Japan now would be a price cut.

Bingo. Been saying this for ages. A big price cut is over a year due by now. And the funny thing is that Sony might wait till next year. 

That would be a HUGE mistake on Sony's part, missing out on this holiday and potentially giving up the momentum of a price drop over to Nintendo who might attempt a similar thing.

Around the Network
Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Thanks for posting this.  That is good to know.

Does anyone know how Spiderman ranks with other top Japanese releases for 2018?  I would guess Monster Hunter World sold better FW.  Does this make Spiderman #2 so far?

Spiderman has the 3rd biggest opening in Japan so far this year. Here's a list:

1. Monster Hunter World (PS4) - 1.24m
2. Kirby Star Allies (Switch) - 222k
3. Spiderman (PS4) - 125k
4. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2018 (PS4) - 124k
5. Mario Tennis Aces (Switch) - 123k
6. Hokuto ga Gotoku (PS4) - 123k
7. Dynasty Warriors 9 (PS4) - 117k
8. Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4) - 105k
9. Super Robot Wars X (PS4) - 89k
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch) - 88k
11. Fate/Extella Link (PS4) - 78k
12. Far Cry 5 (PS4) - 75k
13. Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet (PS4) - 75k
14. PES (PS4) - 73k
15. Dark Souls Remastered (PS4) - 71k
16. Etrian Odyssey X (3DS) - 71k

Monster Hunter almost sold as much as the rest of that list combined.

Thank you for posting this.  Spiderman still did extremely well.  This is especially true since the only other game on that list that is "Western" is Far Cry 5.  (I guess you would count Spiderman as Western.  It is Sony first party but made by Insomniac.)

Barkley said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Thanks for posting this.  That is good to know.

Does anyone know how Spiderman ranks with other top Japanese releases for 2018?  I would guess Monster Hunter World sold better FW.  Does this make Spiderman #2 so far?

Spiderman has the 3rd biggest opening in Japan so far this year. Here's a list:

1. Monster Hunter World (PS4) - 1.24m
2. Kirby Star Allies (Switch) - 222k
3. Spiderman (PS4) - 125k
4. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2018 (PS4) - 124k
5. Mario Tennis Aces (Switch) - 123k
6. Hokuto ga Gotoku (PS4) - 123k
7. Dynasty Warriors 9 (PS4) - 117k
8. Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4) - 105k
9. Super Robot Wars X (PS4) - 89k
10. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch) - 88k
11. Fate/Extella Link (PS4) - 78k
12. Far Cry 5 (PS4) - 75k
13. Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet (PS4) - 75k
14. PES (PS4) - 73k
15. Dark Souls Remastered (PS4) - 71k
16. Etrian Odyssey X (3DS) - 71k

Monster Hunter almost sold as much as the rest of that list combined.

Shouldn't Octopath Traveler sit at the 8th spot on that list? It did 110k, I think, so it falls right between Dynasty Warriors 9 and Dissidia FF NT.

SuperNova said:

Shouldn't Octopath Traveler sit at the 8th spot on that list? It did 110k, I think, so it falls right between Dynasty Warriors 9 and Dissidia FF NT.

Yeah I missed a week.

Barkley said:
SuperNova said:

Yeah I missed a week.

I see, it's all good. :)

Thanks for making the list!

Around the Network
TheBraveGallade said:
Kerotan said:

Bingo. Been saying this for ages. A big price cut is over a year due by now. And the funny thing is that Sony might wait till next year. 

That would be a HUGE mistake on Sony's part, missing out on this holiday and potentially giving up the momentum of a price drop over to Nintendo who might attempt a similar thing.

Reacting to switch is a bigger mistake because no matter what switch does ps4 does well also. Game libraries for each platform are very different. The only thing that matters is it beats the ps3 limited and i think it will. 

Oh wow, Spider Man did a lot better than I thought it would. Sadly, PS4 sales remain at their usual flop levels.

Good spider-man sales, switch still above 40k which is good and disappointing ps4 sales. No real major boost for spider-man.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Kerotan said:
Mar1217 said:
So I guess, even Spidey can't make hardware sales go up ... (even with the PS4 Pro bundle).

But it did go up and without this probably would have dropped to 15k a week. As someone just said it's outpacing the ps3 and every month increases that lead. 

PS4 is in front of the PS3, but the PS3 is starting to sell faster than PS4 again. If PS4 doesn't pick up the slack then PS3 will pass in front again during or after the holiday season.

Edit: here's the gapchart: http://www.vgchartz.com/article/392493/ps4-vs-ps3-in-japanvgchartz-gap-chartsjuly-2018-update/

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 12 September 2018

The lead in that gap chart shows 307k but the current lead is now 461k in favor of the PS4. PS4 is extending its lead over the PS3.

It's the fourth set of data points of this post here: https://www.resetera.com/posts/12541487/