By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan Sales Week 36 Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - September 03-09, 2018

Yeah, seems like the only thing that will push more PS4 consoles in Japan now would be a price cut.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
Yeah, seems like the only thing that will push more PS4 consoles in Japan now would be a price cut.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

The PS4 is well past the phase where new software will drive hardware sales, its four years old in Japan and its price has been static for as long as I can remember. It needs a 5-10k Yen cut to move the needle.

Kerotan said:
Vizigoth04 said:
125k for just Japan. That's probably almost guaranteed the lowest we'll see first week sales numbers by region.

You mean by county because you you mean region as in North America and Europe then surely you have to add the rest of Asia to it?

Anyway superb debut for spiderman. I'd guess with digital it's over 150k FW for Japan. Probably about half of what the UK sold including digital so that just shows you how important Japan is getting for Western games. Hopefully legs are good.

Ps4 has the top 3 software spots on lockdown this week. An unusual sight these days in Japan.

20k hardware. Another good week. Hopefully it hangs in there until the holiday season kicks off. 

Yeah I meant country. I'm hoping that a price-drop will help kick the average sale numbers for a while. I think price is key in Japan. Still does well around the rest of the world especially as the software keeps cranking out. I think software is fine in Japan. Could be better but the yen version of $199 to $249 there is needed.

I was actually expecting drops all around due to the earthquake. Gonna be interesting to see if there's any change in Splatoon 2's legs after September 19th.

I'm surprised by Spiderman sales. Good show.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network

Good number for Spider-Man, but nill impact on HW.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Going by my list and calculations SMO sold 4592 units last week which was not enough for the top 20.

Splatton now hitting another summer low. Still 2K up from its lowest point in Japan ever at 12646 in week 20.
Capatin Toad has better legs than Octopath. It is still in the Top 20 while Octopath has dropped out 2 weeks ago. Same for Taiko no Tasujin.

Minecraft is a monster in Japan no matter the platform.
Professional Baseball for Switch dropped out this week as well as Little Dragons Cafe

GribbleGrunger said:
Spiderman sales are three times higher than GOW:

GoW: 46k
Spider-Man: 125k

Thanks for posting this.  That is good to know.

Does anyone know how Spiderman ranks with other top Japanese releases for 2018?  I would guess Monster Hunter World sold better FW.  Does this make Spiderman #2 so far?

Very good debut for Spiderman.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
GribbleGrunger said:
Spiderman sales are three times higher than GOW:

GoW: 46k
Spider-Man: 125k

Thanks for posting this.  That is good to know.

Does anyone know how Spiderman ranks with other top Japanese releases for 2018?  I would guess Monster Hunter World sold better FW.  Does this make Spiderman #2 so far?

Spiderman has the 3rd biggest opening in Japan so far this year. Here's a list:

1. Monster Hunter World (PS4) - 1.24m
2. Kirby Star Allies (Switch) - 222k
3. Spiderman (PS4) - 125k
4. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2018 (PS4) - 124k
5. Mario Tennis Aces (Switch) - 123k
6. Hokuto ga Gotoku (PS4) - 123k
7. Dynasty Warriors 9 (PS4) - 117k
8. Octopath Traveler (Switch) - 110k
9. Dissidia Final Fantasy NT (PS4) - 105k
10. Super Robot Wars X (PS4) - 89k
11. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch) - 88k
12. Fate/Extella Link (PS4) - 78k
13. Far Cry 5 (PS4) - 75k
14. Sword Art Online Fatal Bullet (PS4) - 75k
15. PES (PS4) - 73k
16. Dark Souls Remastered (PS4) - 71k
17. Etrian Odyssey X (3DS) - 71k

Monster Hunter almost sold as much as the rest of that list combined.

Last edited by Barkley - on 12 September 2018