By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Exclusives Attacked For Being Downgraded

BoseDK said:
smroadkill15 said:

Downgrade with Sea of Thieves I can see, but State of Decay still looks the same when I actually watch the reveal trailer. I will go back to my first post I made. At the end of the day, it honestly doesn't matter for either Sony or MS. If anyone really gets worked up over something like this, I feel sorry for them. 

And you were so sure there was no downgrade and MS advertised exactly what they released. There's like a generational gap between the adverts and the final product. Watch Dogs downgrade was less pronounced. This isn't even something you don't even need a second glance to see it's a downgrade.

I agree it's often ridiculous when people are looking at every pixel to see the differences but these MS games are not that kind of case, the difference is simply ridiculous between what they showed and what they delivered. Luckily? for MS the games were so terrible that a graphical downgrade was the last thing on anyone's mind.

I haven't watched the initial Sea of Thieves reveal trailer since it released so I don't exactly remember every detail from what it looked like from 3+ years ago. From what I remembered, it looked the same and it still mostly does thanks to the stylized graphics. I would definitely not say there is a generational gap with either reveal trailers. 

Around the Network

People are so obsessed with graphics

mjk45 said:
DonFerrari said:
Well I haven't seem this happen at VGC since forever and I don't check other sites.

The first time I remember this type of conversation was Killzone 2's intro that argument started out about pre rendered versus real time but when the game came out it turned to whether it was a downgrade.

Yes, also remember KZ SF, because of the technique to increase fps and pixel count, Infamous "loss of resolution" or UC4 going from intended 60fps to 30fps... but that was like over 2 years ago.

I haven't seem claims of downgrade in VGC since them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

JRPGfan said: 

This... state of decay had a huge downgrade, and it wasnt really in the news steams from gameing sites.

Oh its buggy? well free pass, State of decay always had bugs its fine.

Does seem like theres double standards for MS vs Sony.

What are you on about JRPGfan.. of course the bugs were noticed in SoD2.. have you not seen its reviews for it?

Also what huge downgrades are you referring to with that game? 

Well, it seems Sony learned it's lesson last gen with their overpromising target renders from last gen. They were (rightfully) called out for it and mocked. Ever since then, they have been pretty careful about what they show. And usually label things as in-game or in-engine.

Unfortunately, this gen it seems MS and Ubisoft took that torch from Sony and ran with it. Now, MS's sins seem to be mostly from the beginning of the gen, when they were still trying to mask the fact that they had weaker HW. Most notably the launch game demos running on HW much more powerful than the XBO, meaning those games required downgrades, and the overpromising of the Cloud, i.e. 10x more powerful XBO and Crackdown destruction, which no longer appears to be in the game. On the other hand, I don't think Ubisoft has released a game this gen that hasn't seen a downgrade.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Masked_Muchaco said:

I remember it very well, I was just playing along with you.

In your first post you said Sony asks for the criticism they get, because they boast about their games having better graphics than other games.

"However Sony kind of asks for criticism.  It tries to distinguish itself from Nintendo especially by saying how much better the graphics are in the Sony games."

But you didn't provide any evidence of them doing such thing, so I asked you when did they do that, but you choose not to answer my question and now here we are.

If you still think I'm missing something, please tell  me exactly what it is, that would be very appreciated :)

You are misinterpreting what I meant. 

I am saying that graphics is one of the main selling points of a Sony game.  It is what they advertise.  When they advertise they they have great graphics, then that is one way they distinguish themselves from Nintendo.  

So since graphics are more of a selling point for Sony, then they invite criticism when their graphics appear better in a trailer than at home.  Nintendo can do the same thing and people don't care as much, since graphics is not really what they advertise.

This is authentically what I meant.  You seemed to be have been upset over something that I wasn't trying to say in the first place.  I hope this clears things up.

Graphics aren't a selling point for Sony games. They just happen to want to push the hardware and show its capabilities which I applaud them for but graphics don't sell games.

Your next point is just bullshit. Downgrade is downgrade and matters for any game from any publisher. Nintendo can't get away with it and neither can Sony, whether you perceive one as having a focus on graphics and the other not.

Every company advertises graphics when they show footage of a game. Its always there, visible and obvious. Games are a graphical medium so the first thing people see from any game be it from Nintendo or Sony is graphics.

mjk45 said:
DonFerrari said:
Well I haven't seem this happen at VGC since forever and I don't check other sites.

The first time I remember this type of conversation was Killzone 2's intro that argument started out about pre rendered versus real time but when the game came out it turned to whether it was a downgrade.

The argument felt pointless to me. The final game looked stunning and to me better than the pre rendered in engine footage they showed.

I feel I may be the only one, but the game upon release was the most realistic looking game I had ever seen to date, even more than Uncharted 2.

Watch Dogs downgrade was what started this downgrade hunt you see here, as that was drastic. Even on PC at Ultra 1080p 60fps the game looks nowhere near the first trailer. The downgrade was palpable in that it made the world less immersive hence hurting its gameplay. I think people looking for downgrades miss the point of why Watch Dogs was hammered for its visual downgrade, and other games like Witcher 3 did not.

Keybladewielder said:

Funny they are obsessed when they don't even understand it. Digital Foundry said it was an upgrade. They changed Spidey's suit to cloth based from plastic, which is an upgrade in my books.

People are really just obsessed with negativity. Its why negative Youtubers who complain on everything get the views. The negativity is more in case of Sony games because a huge section of PC gamers want to play it on their so called superior platform and start hating because they know they can't. Its basically their way of justifying why they wouldn't buy a PS4 even as Spiderman, because they don't want to be a "console peasant". Its a sad and immature mentality.

GOWTLOZ said:

Graphics aren't a selling point for Sony games. They just happen to want to push the hardware and show its capabilities which I applaud them for but graphics don't sell games.

Really?  Graphics don't help sell games at all?  Why do people want more powerful hardware if the graphics don't matter?

I personally think all of this nitpicking about graphics is stupid, but even I think graphics matter to some extent.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Really?  Graphics don't help sell games at all?  Why do people want more powerful hardware if the graphics don't matter?

I personally think all of this nitpicking about graphics is stupid, but even I think graphics matter to some extent.

Graphics matter=/=selling point.

If graphics could sell games then The Order 1886 would've been huge. 

GOWTLOZ said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

You are misinterpreting what I meant. 

I am saying that graphics is one of the main selling points of a Sony game.  It is what they advertise.  When they advertise they they have great graphics, then that is one way they distinguish themselves from Nintendo.  

So since graphics are more of a selling point for Sony, then they invite criticism when their graphics appear better in a trailer than at home.  Nintendo can do the same thing and people don't care as much, since graphics is not really what they advertise.

This is authentically what I meant.  You seemed to be have been upset over something that I wasn't trying to say in the first place.  I hope this clears things up.

Your next point is just bullshit. Downgrade is downgrade and matters for any game from any publisher. Nintendo can't get away with it and neither can Sony, whether you perceive one as having a focus on graphics and the other not.

Every company advertises graphics when they show footage of a game. Its always there, visible and obvious. Games are a graphical medium so the first thing people see from any game be it from Nintendo or Sony is graphics.

mjk45 said:

The argument felt pointless to me. The final game looked stunning and to me better than the pre rendered in engine footage they showed.

I feel I may be the only one, but the game upon release was the most realistic looking game I had ever seen to date, even more than Uncharted 2.

Watch Dogs downgrade was what started this downgrade hunt you see here, as that was drastic. Even on PC at Ultra 1080p 60fps the game looks nowhere near the first trailer. The downgrade was palpable in that it made the world less immersive hence hurting its gameplay. I think people looking for downgrades miss the point of why Watch Dogs was hammered for its visual downgrade, and other games like Witcher 3 did not.

Keybladewielder said:

Funny they are obsessed when they don't even understand it. Digital Foundry said it was an upgrade. They changed Spidey's suit to cloth based from plastic, which is an upgrade in my books.

People are really just obsessed with negativity. Its why negative Youtubers who complain on everything get the views. The negativity is more in case of Sony games because a huge section of PC gamers want to play it on their so called superior platform and start hating because they know they can't. Its basically their way of justifying why they wouldn't buy a PS4 even as Spiderman, because they don't want to be a "console peasant". Its a sad and immature mentality.

The "people are so obsessed with graphics" is more like an attack on different taste because the person prefer a weaker platform and not realistic graphic. Everyone that doesn't think the same is wrong so we need to use inflammatory language.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The_Liquid_Laser said:
GOWTLOZ said:

Well to that I have to say

BoseDK said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Graphics matter=/=selling point.

If graphics could sell games then The Order 1886 would've been huge. 

this.

DonFerrari said:
GOWTLOZ said:

The "people are so obsessed with graphics" is more like an attack on different taste because the person prefer a weaker platform and not realistic graphic. Everyone that doesn't think the same is wrong so we need to use inflammatory language.

Its fine to like good graphics, but to obsess over small details like puddles is too much. Its unhealthy. Also they were wrong, so its baseless as well.

I understand your point to some extent. I don't like games that look 16 bit era games like most indies. Its also that graphics can make a world more immersive. I feel they are a means to an end, something to accentuate the feel of the game. They aren't all that matters and they certainly don't sell games, but they matter.