By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Software 21st July 2018

TheGamer_1995 said:
Wait, since this is the second week for Octopath Traveler, does that mean that at that point it had a 65% digital attach rate since it was announced that it sold 1 million digital+retail just 2 weeks after release?

It's quite possible. Octopath traveller is a smaller download than some other games and it was ridiculously undershipped, to the point Square apologized for undershipping. 65% might well be possible. Don't take that as a general thing though, this is clearly an outlier.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Kerotan said:
Mnementh said:

Although PS4 digital probably is much higher than Switch, it wouldn't change too much at the big picture (although single games like MonHun World and Octopath look much better), as I already explained: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8875853

It definitely changes things because Sony make so much more profit from 3rd party digital and 1st party digital. PS plus brings in insane digital revenue too. 

Oh, if you talk about profit, yes. Digital makes a lot more profit, as it is much cheaper to distribute and costs usually the same. For profit sake a high digital ratio is a good thing. But no, I talked about the chart and the general software sales. In that regard the effect is smaller and does not totally change things up. For single games it looks different, but the overall picture of PS4 vs. Xbox vs. Switch does not change much.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:
Kerotan said:

It definitely changes things because Sony make so much more profit from 3rd party digital and 1st party digital. PS plus brings in insane digital revenue too. 

Oh, if you talk about profit, yes. Digital makes a lot more profit, as it is much cheaper to distribute and costs usually the same. For profit sake a high digital ratio is a good thing. But no, I talked about the chart and the general software sales. In that regard the effect is smaller and does not totally change things up. For single games it looks different, but the overall picture of PS4 vs. Xbox vs. Switch does not change much.

Nintendo Switch total units of software sold = 86.93 million units  (jul 31st 2018) (a month ago)
PS4 total units of software sold = 645 million units (dec 31st 2017) (~8 months ago) (this was back when it was at 70,6m)

Im sure both Sony & Nintendo are happy with how their consoles sell with reguards to software.

Mnementh said:
Kerotan said:

If we cherry pick just the top sellers yes but if look at the software total then no it makes a different. Ps4 for example could go from 1m for the week to 1.5m stretching it's lead at the top. 

Kerotan said:
Mnementh said:

If we cherry pick just the top sellers yes but if look at the software total then no it makes a different. Ps4 for example could go from 1m for the week to 1.5m stretching it's lead at the top. 

And the Switch number as well grows from nearly 1M to over 1M. But it is no fundamental change. Yes, PS4 does look a bit better digital involved. As I said before, it goes from 1 title in the TOP 10 to three titles. And overall software sales become a bit more. But the big picture is that Switch and PS4 overall software sales are more or less on the same level with a small advantage to PS4 (depending on current releases as illustrated by the release of Octopath and subsequent software sales lead of Switch) and in TOP 10 a majority of Switch titles with some PS4-titles as contenders. This big picture isn't really changing with inclusion or exclusion of digital. The exact numbers obviously do change, but in ways hard to foresee as digital ratio differs between titles.

Around the Network
tangmeister00 said:

The 17 for Shining resonance is the number of weeks its been out. Its counting the japanese release time as well

Ah, so then there's still a good possibility the PS4 release outsold the Switch one then. thanks.

RolStoppable said:
TheGamer_1995 said:
Wait, since this is the second week for Octopath Traveler, does that mean that at that point it had a 65% digital attach rate since it was announced that it sold 1 million digital+retail just 2 weeks after release?

No, absolutely not.

First off, VGC's estimate is 450k boxed copies sold, so that alone caps digital sales at 55% in the best case scenario.

Secondly, the announcement for 1m was made on August 3rd, so that would be four weeks of VGC tracking, not two. Another 100k physical copies sold in each of week 3 and 4 caps digital sales at 35% in the best case scenario.

Thirdly, publishers count physical games as sold as soon as they got packed up and are on their way to retailers, so in the case of Octopath Traveler we have to account for copies in transit that hadn't even been put on shelves to be bought by gamers. Additionally, the game wasn't sold out in every place in the world, so there were definitely units sitting on store shelves as well. Everything together means that 30% digital sales is the highest reasonable estimate, but the limited information makes it more sensible to use a range as estimate for digital sales, so anywhere between 20-30%.

Whoops my bad, did the math wrong.

And I thought someone said that Square made that 1m announcement after 2 weeks.

Donkey kong still doing well.