Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did the Switch finally destroy Nintendo's "Kiddie" image?

No. There are people still out there who still have this image of Nintendo. These are called haters or fans of another brand.

Switch Friend Code = 5965 - 4586 - 6484

PSN: alejollorente10

Around the Network

At the starting of this year I would agree. But now we just got Labo, and are getting a watered down pokemon game made even easier for kids. So I don't know for sure.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

It'll talk a lot more than even the Switch's success to get rid of that image.

The N64 kinda clouded that image when it brought games like Turok and GoldenEye.

It still has that stigma because Nintendo reinforces it.

Aeolus451 said:

How so?

Around the Network
TheMisterManGuy said:
Aeolus451 said:

How so?

LABO helps reinforce it.

CaptainExplosion said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

How so?

LABO helps reinforce it.

And all most of the titles they produce.

The third party support isn’t all family friendly or geared toward kids, but the same can’tbe said of Nintendo’s first party output.

flashfire926 said:
At the starting of this year I would agree. But now we just got Labo, and are getting a watered down pokemon game made even easier for kids. So I don't know for sure.

Nobody says that Nintendo isn't also appealing to kids as well. But the Switch as a whole doesn't have the stigma of being something only for kids or geared towards kids. It's a console aimed at a wide audience that just so happens to have kid stuff too. 

CaptainExplosion said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

How so?

LABO helps reinforce it.

Labo's just one series of games out of a library of nearly a thousand titles. The amount of impact something like Labo would have is negligible. 

Hynad said:
CaptainExplosion said:

LABO helps reinforce it.

And all most of the titles they produce.

The third party support isn’t all family friendly or geared toward kids, but the same can’tbe said of Nintendo’s first party output.

Nintendo's games are aimed at wide audiences. Not simply kids and families. But also adults who like good games. There's a reason you see young adults playing Mario Kart in these commercials. 

There is probably a bit of that image clinging to the Switch, but I get the sense at least that most of that image has eroded, as the consoles has an extremely diverse lineup of games, many of which are considered "mature" or at least games that appeal to ALL ages. Though I suppose you're never going to completely wipe out the kiddie stigma if your company mascots include a cartoony Italian plumber hopping around shouting "yahoo!", a pink puffball, and a little green dinosaur, and you create games that look very colorful and Pixar-esque.

But if anything, I think overall the kiddie stigma has been replaced by the "casual" stigma mostly during the Wii era, which in turn has been mostly replaced during the Switch gen by simply being a handheld and therefore a "low brow" form of gaming or "not a true console." Though I don't think these views are widespread from where I sit anyway, and I'd still prefer that sentiment over "kiddie" and "casual" though.

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden