Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Did the Switch finally destroy Nintendo's "Kiddie" image?

TheMisterManGuy said:
Aeolus451 said:

Ratings are ratings of a game's content. While most people don't care about the literal rating of a game, they do care about the content. Everything about a M rated game is gonna be different from a E rated game and the people who want to play them are gonna be different. Even the marketing is gonna be different.

But it's not like the ratings correspond to what audience you want to target. It's just a recommendation, a warning for parents that some stuff might be too much for certain children. In today's age where a game like Rocket League can be a hit with adults, very few gamers care about ESRB ratings when buying a game for themselves. They play what they find cool and fun. Nintendo's problem in the Wii U days was that they didn't make themselves look cool. More than half their marketing for the Wii U involved 9 year old suzzie and bobby begging their parents to buy them a Wii U with games like an overly sterile and colorful 3D Mario game. That's not what older audiences find fun or attractive. Compare that to the Switch where you have kids, teens, and young adults shown playing games like an epic open world Zelda game, a stylish and flashy Arena fighter, a rebellious ink shooter, and a risk-taking Mario with New Donk City and Cappy possession. Switch era Nintendo is cool because their games and marketing are cool. Nothing aesthetically feels lame or sanitized. Nintendo's re-invented themselves as a company who can take risks, while still maintaining a friendly face. 

Kids can't buy certain rated games, correct? Why are you saying it's just a recommendation then? It's against store policies. It's a rating of the content in a game. Again, adults won't buy a M rated game because of the rating but because of the kind of content they tend to have. It's the same reason why adults watch higher rated content versus kids' shows. Nintendo is doing what they've always done with their games.

Around the Network
Aeolus451 said:

Kids can't buy certain rated games, correct? Why are you saying it's just a recommendation then? It's against store policies. It's a rating of the content in a game. Again, adults won't buy a M rated game because of the rating but because of the kind of content they tend to have. It's the same reason why adults watch higher rated content versus kids' shows. Nintendo is doing what they've always done with their games.

M rated games are a special case as they're usually the more controversial of the ratings. Of course, there is content that kids shouldn't be seeing until old enough. My point is that Adults, or older gamers in general aren't not going to buy a game just because of what letter is on the box. 

It will always remain a stigma as long as Nintendo keeps trying to appeal to that E for Everyone.

Don't really mind that attitude to be fair, since usually the lower rated stuff tends to be also mature and dark, some even more so than M rated titles, games like Kirby, Zelda or Super Paper Mario. And as an example from another company, Klonoa.

Let's have a champion time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUG_NS0xqSY

Megiddo said:

When there's blood in Zelda as I'm slashing things with a sword, then I'd say they're over that image. As it is the top selling game on the system which doesn't kiddify combat visuals is either #10 or #11 as I'm not sure if Xenoblade 2 has blood but I do know Skyrim does.

Wow ... I've never knew yourself being an edgelord this much, do you feel some kind of adulthood complex by any chance ? Though let me ask, in which way would adding blood anything meaningful to the game ?

Nothing really.

NoirSon said:
Until they stop making family friendly Mario and Kirby games Nintendo will always be called kiddy.

I don't know why someone like you who's already beyond the assimilation of this stigma would pull off this kind of quote with any legitimacy ...

Aeolus451 said:
TheMisterManGuy said:

How so?

Because it focuses on being family friendly with its games and marketing. If they didn't want that stigma then they would be doing the opposite. Their web site looks like a kid store. In each rating, Nintendo has twice as many E, E10 and teen rated games each compared to M rated games. Sony has twice as many m rated and teen rated games each in comparison to E and E10 games. You see the difference in focus? The only ones who really care about that stigma is the older ninty fans. It doesn't affect any other gamer fanbase.

Obviously forgetting all these impressionable kids/teens who all they care for is being able to play the latest adult-oriented trending game which will make them all adult, masculine and stuff, aren't ya ? 

To be honest, I wonder why people who have assimilated this stigma for so long could be in any capacity to form any form of decent opinion ...

⚠️ WARNED: Flaming ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 20 August 2018

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:
Megiddo said:

When there's blood in Zelda as I'm slashing things with a sword, then I'd say they're over that image. As it is the top selling game on the system which doesn't kiddify combat visuals is either #10 or #11 as I'm not sure if Xenoblade 2 has blood but I do know Skyrim does.

Wow ... I've never knew yourself being an edgelord this much, do you feel some kind of adulthood complex by any chance ? Though let me ask, in which way would adding blood anything meaningful to the game ?

Nothing really.

It would feel as if Link was actually swinging a sword and damaging something. I'd find that meaningful.

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
Mar1217 said:

Nothing really.

It would feel as if Link was actually swinging a sword and damaging something. I'd find that meaningful.

Impact effects on landing attacks are the most obvious indicator you could get to know you successfully landed an attack.

Blood doesn't get this flashy from what I know.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Yes, and if I were to swing a sword at a wolf. would I get a big yellow explosion of light or would I get visceral slice with blood pouring out from the wound? Compare the combat between BOTW and Skyrim and you'll see what I mean. It has nothing to do with 'flashiness'.

Not yet but it's getting better and Nintendo seem to be working on it.
Switch's marketing has been really great and i think games like Smash/Metroid/Fire Emblem/Bayonetta 3 coming soon and will be all over the media, that will help a lot too.
I just think it's the perfect era, they are listening to their fans and core gamers but still think about families and kids on the side so they can please everyone, which seems to be working.

Nintendo will always be known as the kid friendly company. Idk where you guys are getting this "adult" Nintendo from. Nintendo is targeting E for everyone, which in turn makes them unable to do more adult games such as Cyberpunk 2077 or Grand Theft Auto. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being a biased Nintendo fan.

Wii did that over a decade ago.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.