By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How Much Do You Expect the Nintendo Switch to Sell Lifetime?

How Much Do You Expect the Nintendo Switch to Sell Lifetime?

Less Than 35 Million 74 3.82%

35-50 Million 155 8.01%

51-65 Million 209 10.80%

66-80 Million 461 23.82%

81-95 Million 448 23.15%

96-110 Million 343 17.73%

111-125 Million 91 4.70%

126-140 Million 47 2.43%

141-155 Million 18 0.93%

More Than 155 Million 89 4.60%

Total:1,935

This is a tough one. I thought before launch we were looking at a system that would sell similar numbers to 3DS, but it's clear from the way Switch is trending it has more potential than 3DS. Even without any major hardware-driving titles launching in the last 8 months, the system is trending to beat 3DS's 2012 - which had a major title (NSMB2) and hardware revision (3DS XL) launching that summer. As Soundwave has pointed out, Switch is performing far more strongly in Europe and North America than 3DS did, and in the long-run, that's going to be significant, given the relative size of those markets versus the Japanese market. On these factors, and in its position as a hybrid system with a rapidly growing software library, I think we can count on Switch hitting somewhere between 90 to 100 million. A lot depends on Switch having a monster fourth quarter this year; hitting the 20 million FY target is a tough task, but if Nintendo are at or around the 18 million mark for the year, I think Switch will still be in a very strong position.

Major question marks for me are how long Nintendo support the system; what kind of hardware revision they launch and when; and the timing of major software releases. While this year will likely still be an impressive year for Switch on the back of an enormous Christmas quarter, I can't help but feel in future Nintendo need to space out major sellers more consistently. If Nintendo are serious about supporting Switch into the long-run (beyond the 4-5 years of support Nintendo normally give their home consoles), then they need to avoid software droughts by pacing their major releases consistently and they need to offer a revised Switch in 2020. 2019 has the potential to be a very strong year, especially if franchises like Animal Crossing and 2D Mario/Mario Maker join Pokemon Generation 8. There's the potential for a price-cut and more aggressive bundling in 2019, too, which leaves Nintendo free to hold off on a hardware revision until slightly later in the life-cycle. You could tell Nintendo were struggling to maintain or generate higher sales for 3DS given they were launching hardware revisions on a near-annual basis (July 2012, October 2013 for 2DS in the West, October 2014 for New 3DS in Japan).

While Nintendo may have launched many major franchises by 2020, a significant hardware revision in that year - combined with a wave of EPD-developed software to support it - could see Switch power on and achieve the kind of sales consistency Wii lacked, but which PS4 has achieved. If that's the case, I think we're looking at life-time sales somewhere in the 130 million region. While I've given two different estimates, I'll go with the higher figure - because it will be more interesting to see what happens in the years ahead, that way.

Around the Network
Miyamotoo said:
Lawlight said:

Actually, you’re saying that the Switch is gaining momentum but I’m looking at official numbers and am not seeing it so far. When that happens, then yeah, the Switch would have gained momentum but so far we’re not seeing it.

You dont see it that!? Look at NPD sales from June and July, YoY up for both months, Switch sales are very steady in Japan also last month or two with around 50k without huge system seller game, its obvous that Switch getting momentum slowly entering Holiday season when will explode with Pokemon and Smash in November and December.

We’re talking about global numbers here and I’m bringing up official shipment numbers up until the end of June. I am only commenting on what’s been reported by Nintendo.

Lawlight said:
Miyamotoo said:

You dont see it that!? Look at NPD sales from June and July, YoY up for both months, Switch sales are very steady in Japan also last month or two with around 50k without huge system seller game, its obvous that Switch getting momentum slowly entering Holiday season when will explode with Pokemon and Smash in November and December.

We’re talking about global numbers here and I’m bringing up official shipment numbers up until the end of June. I am only commenting on what’s been reported by Nintendo.

I also talking about global numbers, and Switch is getting momentum from June and July carried in August. Nintendo actually commented that Switch is getting momentum from E3.

I think Switch can reach 80 million

BoseDK said:
MasonADC said:

It will definitely outsell 2017 this year and next. 

In total sales probably. In 2017 it sold 13 million according to VGC numbers, but it did that in 10 months.

From March-July in 2017 it sold 4.8 million, this year it has sold 4 million in the same timeframe. So it's lagging by almost 20%.

Now it has to sell a million more in the remaining 5 months than it did last year which was around 8.5 million. I just don't see it selling much more than it did last year from now till December. 

Does hardware launches not have a big boost? It shouldn't matter that the switch launched in march. If this site numbers are any indication, the Switch is sitting comfortably above last year, and has little to no chance of falling behind

Let's compare the number it did from the second week of march to present time in both years. I believe Switch 2018 is in the lead 

Last edited by MasonADC - on 21 August 2018

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
Mnementh said:

OK, this is safe enough to make a bet. How is it we make it about 3 months bronze tier supporter of VGC. As I'm already a supporter, if you lose you have to gift it to a user of my choice. What do you say, feel confident enough to make that bet?

It’s a fair and safe bet for me but I don’t want to give my details to this site. The other thing is that it’s a bet that’s going to sit around for 3-4 years. How about an account ban? Like a 3-month ban or longer. Can that be done?

I don't do ban bets, because I think they are insane. Well, then the light variant, a disclaimer in the sig, that '$winner was right and I was wrong, about $outcome".

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Lawlight said:
Soundwave said:

Switch is going to destroy 3DS' second full fiscal year and is notably outpacing it in the US NPD. 3DS 2012 is getting its ass whupped by Switch 2018. 

The fact is the Switch is selling virtually identical to the PS4 actually. It's US sales are trending much more in line with the PS4. 

In Europe we don't get regular hardware sales unfortunately but we can see Switch is showing software dominance and likely hardware sales, look at the Spain chart 8 top 10 games are Switch games, the last two charts from France show a clean sweep top 5 of all Switch games, even in the UK the top selling individual format game is Mario Kart 8 and half the top team individual SKUs are Switch games. We see Italy and Germany software sales charts dominated by Switch games too. 3DS was never performing like that in Europe. 

Switch will fucking demolish 3DS' peak year of 13.95 million. Abs-fucking-lutely demolishing that by 4-6 million this fiscal year and this fiscal year likely is not going to be the peak Switch year either. Labo hasn't broken out, most of the lineup this year is just Wii U ports so far and they are still going to demolish the 3DS' peak year. 

Anyone who thinks this another 3DS simply is not paying attention to what's actually going on. 

I was watching Pekin Express on M6, a French TV channel recently when I was away recently and the number of Switch ads shown was astounding. Nintendo are marketing the Switch like crazy in Europe and it’s still hasn’t caught the PS4’s sales yet. Not to mention that people are swiftly moving to digital on the PS4 so looking at retail charts is pointless these days.

But if you think the Switch will sell 100M or so, you’re free to do that.

So because Nintendo is marketing the Switch very much in France (where the Switch is whooping the PS4's ass!) you conclude that they are doing the same in every other European country. That's just as correct as deducing from Japanese ads how the 3 consoles will sell WW, hence why the data from France and all of Europe is very different.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Lawlight said:

I was watching Pekin Express on M6, a French TV channel recently when I was away recently and the number of Switch ads shown was astounding. Nintendo are marketing the Switch like crazy in Europe and it’s still hasn’t caught the PS4’s sales yet. Not to mention that people are swiftly moving to digital on the PS4 so looking at retail charts is pointless these days.

But if you think the Switch will sell 100M or so, you’re free to do that.

So because Nintendo is marketing the Switch very much in France (where the Switch is whooping the PS4's ass!) you conclude that they are doing the same in every other European country. That's just as correct as deducing from Japanese ads how the 3 consoles will sell WW, hence why the data from France and all of Europe is very different.

From your link:
PS4 2018 (hardware): 332,399
Switch 2018 (hardware): 358,738

PS4 2018 (software): 3,305,588
Switch 2018 (software): 1,880,647

Is that really the definition of ass whooping though? Especially considering that PS4 is nearing market saturation with 4.5 mill sold.

Last edited by Replicant - on 21 August 2018

one MILLION units!

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Replicant said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

From your link:
PS4 2018 (hardware): 332,399
Switch 2018 (hardware): 358,738

PS4 2018 (software): 3,305,588
Switch 2018 (software): 1,880,647

Is that really the definition of ass whooping though? Especially considering that PS4 is nearing market saturation with 4.5 mill sold.

Switch is in front without any big releases, MK8D is the bestselling game in France this year, not even God of War could beat that year-old game While it's not yet whooping the PS4s ass, it shows that Sony can't beat the Switch even with many high-profile releases versus none of those on Switch.. Now imagine how it's doing with some actual high profile game releases like Super Mario Party, Pokémon or Smash.

Also, saturation? The PS3 sold almost one million more consoles, the Wii over 6.2M and the population has grown since then. It's still a ways off from being strongly hold back by saturation.

While the PS4 is selling more software, that's only due to the bigger install base. And still with almost 4x as many consoles sold, the PS4 still only managed to sell somewhat under 2x as much software as the Switch did so far this year.