By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Killer feature! Remote play?

I think the PS5's killer features is going to be a combination of Alexa, Shareplay+remote play, VR capability and even better multimedia functions such as 4k blu-rays etc.
At least that is what i am hoping for.
I hope the controller will be innovated on and include more features maybe even better 3d pointer tracking to make it match up with the best PC VR solutions.
Full backwards compatibility with PS4 both digital and physical. Perhaps some emulation solutions for PS1+PS2 games although i am not holding my breath for that one since a lot of games will be flat out broken if it is just pure emulation and not done like Xbox one does it currently.
I am hoping to see freesync and the capability for higher framerates than 60fps outside of VR (currently only PSVR can have framerates above 60fps).

I know this isn't exactly a killer feature but rather a list of features. But i really think they are going to blow us away with a ton of features rather than just 1 big thing. Arguably Remote play is already a big thing in Japan for PS4 since it appears that it is usable out in the wild aswell as at home. We will see.

Around the Network
taus90 said:
KBG29 said:

It would all be the same ecosystem, just like PS4 and PS4 Pro. Whether you buy a PS5, a PS5 Phone, or a PS5 Portable, it would all be the same platform. You buy the game from PlayStation Store, and it is playable across any PS5 device. Developers build the game from the ground up to be scalable across all PS5 products.

At the end of the day, a PlayStation sold would be a PlayStation sold. More form factors means more ways for people to access the platform/software/service, meaning people can have both Home and Mobile, just Home, or Just Portable. It allows Sony to reach a larger audeince, and be even more engaged with its core consumers.

But from a financial stand point sony would still have to produce two hardware design which will cost them more if only just one of those system is popular and for them to not loose money the sale ratio needs to be 1:1, they would have to differentiate between those two devices beyond just grapical fidelity,  In my opinion to validate the PS5 home console purchase Sony can tie it to VR, as in next PSVR headset will only be compatible on home console not on any portable device, but it will be a bold move.

One eco system sure, but consider this PS4 sold 80m and its just one sku, so just one hardware development cost. Now imagine this 80 mil PS5 but the development cost will be of two different hardware, so in order for sony to earn the profitability of PS4, Sony would need to sell PS5 and PS5 portable almost twice, almost at the level of PS2.

That is not how they run the PlayStation business. PlayStation Hardware is not the money maker. They sell consoles at break even or a slight loss. The profits for SIE come from Game Sales, and Network Services. 

I don't think they have to do anything additional to give them their own identity. The Home console is for those that want 4K/60, UHD Blu-ray, and Next Gen VR. The Hybrid is for people that are fine with 1440p/30 docked and 1080p on the go, and also have an Android or iOS device as well. The Phone would be for people that just want one mobile device that can deliver their games, while also keeping them connected to their priority needs. There is a place for all of them, and if Sony has a unified architecture across all of the devices it is very easy to support, and R&D costs are extremely low.

PS4 is not just one sku. PS4 has actually had 3 very different Sku's, with 7 revisions in total. PS4, PS4 Slim, and PS4 Pro are all different devices that had their own R&D. They share core CPU/GPU technology which, would be the same case with the PS5, PS5 Hybrid, and PS5 Phone. With a massively scalable architecture like Ryzen and Navi, it wil be possible for Sony to have all three devices. Thanks to the focus on scalability across game engines, it wil be very easy for devs to build games that support all 3 devices.

This business model would be massively simplified over previous gens. Just look at last gen to this gen. Sony was supporting;

PlayStation 3 - PowerPC CPU, Nvidia GPU, and PS3 OS

PlayStation Vita - ARM CPU, PowerVR GPU, and PS Vita OS

PlayStation 4/ Pro - X86 CPU, AMD GPU, PS4 OS

SIE was supporting 3 vastly different platforms, with their own CPU, GPU, and OS. They had to build everything for all three devices from the gound up, whether it be OS related, Network related, or Software related. They where also working with numerous suppliers.

The purposed scenario for next gen would be;

PlayStation 4/ Pro -X86 Jaguar, AMD GPU GNC2, PlayStation OS

PlayStation 5, Hybrid, Phone - X86 Ryzen, AMD GPU GNC6, PlayStation OS

This is much simpler, much cheaper, and anything they develop is functional across all devices. Not only would they be able to support multiple versions of PS5, but thanks to PS4 using X86/AMD, they can continue to support it for years at a very low cost. With more options for entering the PlayStation ecosystem, they should only see an increase in Units Sold, and Total active userbase.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

TallSilhouette said:
Ganoncrotch said:
thing as well... remote play is a grand way of enjoying your AAA titles when you're away from the ps4 a bit.... Then you get on a Train or a Plane and yeah... back to twiddling your thumbs for the duration of the flight.

Not if your plane has a StarLink or OneWeb antennae. ;)

As of yet I do not live in 2020, nor would I believe that you could effectively lag free play a game at even 540p using satellite broadband on a plane.

Just think about the science of this from a latency point of view, at best both those solutions suggest you'll have maybe 5-10 satellites available to you, even at the speed of light the beam would need to leave your Vita, go through the router on the plane, into the antenna, travel to the satellite, bounce from there to their ground receivers, pass that data to your ISP and get it routed to your PS4.... and all the way back, in 16 hundreds of a second for 60fps, keep in mind that it takes light 1/8 of a second to fly around the world un-suppressed by tech which it would need to pass through.

At the end of it all those net options (suggest they can) offer up to 50Mb connections to a plane... or 6.25MB which would be fine to stream from a data point of view (not latency by a mile as shown above) but that would require the entire planes net connection to do it.

Also!

"Historically, earlier companies that have attempted to build satellite internet service networks and provide space-based internet connections have not fared well, as both services were hobbled by high costs which consequently attracted few users. Iridium SSC filed for bankruptcy protection in 1999 and Globalstar did the same in 2002.[9]"

So yeah.... Switch works without requiring a system which bankrupt multiple companies trying to pull off what would be required for the Vita/PS4 link to work.

I'm not saying this sort of data link would never be possible, but you're talking at least 20 years out imo before it's commercially viable and available.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

taus90 said:
Heavenly_King said:
they need a PS5GO that plays every PS5 game natively (but downgraded) on the GO. It would be a separate device.

If Go is priced below the PS5 console, it will affect ps5 sales, just look at base PS4 is still selling better than PS4 pro. 

They would be 2 complementary devices.  One a powerhouse console while the other would be the Lite portable version of it.  The GO would cost as much or a bit less

It is the same eco-system, it wont affect any sales even if it costs less.

For now, remote play is absolutely useless to me. I need to be home to be able to use it and if I'm home, I have access to a TV (or monitor, if I'm really desperate - which hasn't happened yet). Not only that, but it also requires an accessory (for the controller) that's not useful for anything else.

Around the Network
Heavenly_King said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I think the PS5 should be a home/handheld hybrid, but I doubt they will do it.

Sony should release a PS5 and a PS5GO.  The GO version would play every game in a downgraded way (the inverse of a PS4PRO).

If this happens I expect Sony to release it 1 1/2year after the launch. So that people wont bit(h about why it is not a hybrid console.

I like the idea of a go version. 

I don't want a PS5 hybrid at all. I want Sony to keep releasing powerhouses. Hybrid is just a fancy and smart way to put handheld gaming on TV.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?