By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Killer feature! Remote play?

gergroy said:
Remote play was horrible on the vita... I’m pretty sure there will be game streaming in some form next gen (obviously Microsoft is gearing up for it so I’m sure Sony is too). However, I don’t think you are going to be streaming from your own console, it’s going to be streaming from some kind of server bank. Personally, not a killer app for me. If I’m not in front of my tv, I generally have more important things to do... adulting sucks...

really remote play is horrible on vita??, i spend most of my time on vita using remote play coz i cannot afford to sit in front of a TV playing games as I used too when i was kid, I have a Ps4 hooked up in my office too and i remote play all the time.

Around the Network
Medisti said:
I hope the PS5 has Remote Play, but I don't see it as the principle feature. If it had never happened before, and if the Switch didn't exist, it might have been able to make a splash. But they'll need something innovative to really turn head for the PS5.

Or maybe it can just be another box with way better specs and get along just fine, ha ha.

the problem is Sony never embraced this feature like nintendo did with switch, for sony it was just a feature, granted nintendo is not doing remote play but the concept of having console quality game on a handheld was first coined by sony with the original PSP, and remote play on just a vision of that..

Heavenly_King said:
they need a PS5GO that plays every PS5 game natively (but downgraded) on the GO. It would be a separate device.

If Go is priced below the PS5 console, it will affect ps5 sales, just look at base PS4 is still selling better than PS4 pro. 

taus90 said:
KBG29 said:
Remote Play is passable if you have a very good network connection. They have continued to work on their game streaming tech all gen with both PS Now and Remote Play, and I fully expect them to continue the feature with PS5.

The only problem with Remote Play and PS Now on current Smartphones is the lack of buttons. Remote Play on Xperia devices is unplayable with the phone alone due to the utterly crap touch controls. That means you will need to carry both your Phone and your DualShock 5 with you everywhere you go.

I see Remote Play and PlayStation Now as one option Sony should offer for all Non PlayStation devices. However, I think it is very improtant that they also bring out a Handheld and a Phone on the Ryzen/Navi platform that shares the same OS and Library as PS5. The Switch has shown that people are willing to pay $300 for a games only device with a limited number of AAA titles. If Sony brings out a PlayStation Phone and Handheld for $500/$400 that have a shared library with PS5, they should easily find a profitable and sustainable userbase. With 7nm, M.2 SSD's, and Solid State Batteries, 2020 is looking like the perfect time for them to release PS5, PS5 Phone, and PS5 Handheld.

but dont you think it will cannibalize PS5 sales if have a portable device is capable of playing PS5, considering how power doesnt matter when it comes to console, in my opinion even if a portable has 1080p with PS4 level graphic playing ps5 games.. that will be an easy choice for me.

It would all be the same ecosystem, just like PS4 and PS4 Pro. Whether you buy a PS5, a PS5 Phone, or a PS5 Portable, it would all be the same platform. You buy the game from PlayStation Store, and it is playable across any PS5 device. Developers build the game from the ground up to be scalable across all PS5 products.

At the end of the day, a PlayStation sold would be a PlayStation sold. More form factors means more ways for people to access the platform/software/service, meaning people can have both Home and Mobile, just Home, or Just Portable. It allows Sony to reach a larger audeince, and be even more engaged with its core consumers.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

taus90 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I think the PS5 should be a home/handheld hybrid, but I doubt they will do it.

Oh I wish that too.. infact I wished sony just release a portable hybrid console PS5. .then after two years instead of releasing a pro version, they just need to release a cradle with more processing power and call it ps5.5 or pro then same with PS6

A Hybrid device will always fall short being underpowered at home, and too power hungry on the go. It is a fine option, but having dedicated Home and Mobile devices will offer the best expereince. I would not be opposed to having a Home Console, a Hybrid, and a Mobile though. All Hardware and Game Engines are putting a heavy emphasis on scalability going forward, so having multiple form factors with different power levels will be possible.

I think the answer going forward is more options, not one size fits all.

taus90 said:
Heavenly_King said:
they need a PS5GO that plays every PS5 game natively (but downgraded) on the GO. It would be a separate device.

If Go is priced below the PS5 console, it will affect ps5 sales, just look at base PS4 is still selling better than PS4 pro. 

It would all be one platform, so any unit sold will be a positive for the ecosystem. Doesn't matter if people buy PS5, PS5 Pro, PS5 Phone, PS5 Portable, PS5 Hybrid, PS5 VR, it all grows the ecosystem making it a more lucrative platform to develop for.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
KBG29 said:
taus90 said:

but dont you think it will cannibalize PS5 sales if have a portable device is capable of playing PS5, considering how power doesnt matter when it comes to console, in my opinion even if a portable has 1080p with PS4 level graphic playing ps5 games.. that will be an easy choice for me.

It would all be the same ecosystem, just like PS4 and PS4 Pro. Whether you buy a PS5, a PS5 Phone, or a PS5 Portable, it would all be the same platform. You buy the game from PlayStation Store, and it is playable across any PS5 device. Developers build the game from the ground up to be scalable across all PS5 products.

At the end of the day, a PlayStation sold would be a PlayStation sold. More form factors means more ways for people to access the platform/software/service, meaning people can have both Home and Mobile, just Home, or Just Portable. It allows Sony to reach a larger audeince, and be even more engaged with its core consumers.

But from a financial stand point sony would still have to produce two hardware design which will cost them more if only just one of those system is popular and for them to not loose money the sale ratio needs to be 1:1, they would have to differentiate between those two devices beyond just grapical fidelity,  In my opinion to validate the PS5 home console purchase Sony can tie it to VR, as in next PSVR headset will only be compatible on home console not on any portable device, but it will be a bold move.

One eco system sure, but consider this PS4 sold 80m and its just one sku, so just one hardware development cost. Now imagine this 80 mil PS5 but the development cost will be of two different hardware, so in order for sony to earn the profitability of PS4, Sony would need to sell PS5 and PS5 portable almost twice, almost at the level of PS2.

KBG29 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That could definitely work.  But they would also need to have it planned out ahead of time.  For example they'd need to switch to carts over disks.  But if PS5 used carts, then they could definitely make a portable version that played the same games a couple of years later.

I don't see a PS5 Go/Phone/Hybrid/Portable supporting Physical Media. By 2020 we will be moving past 50% of all Retail games being sold digitally, with overall game sales way above 50% digital. By the end of next gen, retail games will probably be pushing 80 - 85% digital.  I expect consoles and handhelds to become a hardware business at retail during next gen, with an extremely small offering of only the largest AAA titles.

I do agree that they have to have things planned out from the start. All Games going forward have to scale to all future PlayStation Products.

The original DRM plan for the XB1 was a step toward going 100% digital.  That stigma basically ruined the success of the XB1 for this whole generation.

It is true that many people like digital, but there are also a lot of people that really like physical, especially because they can buy/sell/trade used games.  Any console trying to go all digital is going to meet a similar fate to the XB1.  

TBH they don't need too do any of this. They are so far ahead of the competition they don't need the feature.

I rather they go power house beast again and focus on VR. Can't wait to see what next gen VR will do.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Heavenly_King said:

Sony should release a PS5 and a PS5GO.  The GO version would play every game in a downgraded way (the inverse of a PS4PRO).

If this happens I expect Sony to release it 1 1/2year after the launch. So that people wont bit(h about why it is not a hybrid console.

That could definitely work.  But they would also need to have it planned out ahead of time.  For example they'd need to switch to carts over disks.  But if PS5 used carts, then they could definitely make a portable version that played the same games a couple of years later.

If the switch was "Thicker"(lol) it could have a bluray drive on the back .

something like this:

If random people could do this, I expect Sony to do it in a masterful way, without those big bezels obviously.  There is no need to "switch" to carts, A Bluray drive can fit just fine .   Also because we all want the PS5 to be BC, if they put carts if would not be possible.

Heavenly_King said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

If the switch was "Thicker"(lol) it could have a bluray drive on the back .

something like this:

If random people could do this, I expect Sony to do it in a masterful way, without those big bezels obviously.  There is no need to "switch" to carts, A Bluray drive can fit just fine .   Also because we all want the PS5 to be BC, if they put carts if would not be possible.

Is this possible?  Sure.  Would I want to buy this?  Hell no.  I wasn't really even a fan of the PSP disks, and those were a lot smaller than a Blueray disk.

Part of portability is having small and durable games, so that you can easily take several with you on the go.