By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best selling Japanese non Nintendo games this gen and previous gen

There is a bad notion among the VGC community that Japanese games are doing way better this gen than previous gen. I'm making this topic to point that its not real and while they are doing marginally better.

This could serve as a database as well. If you guys like I can add gen 4, 5 and 6 as well. All these are official sales. Some from press releases, some from SteamSpy on PC.

Top sellers this gen - Consoles and PC

1) Monster Hunter World - 10.7m

2) Final Fantasy 15 - 8.4m

3) Metal Gear Solid 5 - 6m cross gen game but most sales came from current gen versions

4) Resident Evil 7 - 5.7m

5) Dragon Ball Xenoverse - 5m cross gen game but most sales came from current gen version

6) Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 - 5m

7) Dragon Ball FighterZ - 3.5m

8) Nier: Automata - 3.5m

9) Gran Turismo Sport - 3.3m

10) Dark Souls 3 - 3m

Top sellers of previous gen - Consoles and PC

1) Gran Turismo 5 - 11.9m

2) Street Fighter 4 - 7.7m on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC

3) Resident Evil 5 - 7.4m on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC

4) Resident Evil 6 - 7.2m on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC

5) Final Fantasy 13 - 7m

6) Metal Gear Solid 4 - 5.7m

7) Dark Souls - 5.5m on PS3, Xbox 360 and PC prior to remastered

8) Gran Turismo 6 - 5.2m

9) Final Fantasy 13-2 - 3.6m

10) Tekken 6 - 3.5m

Last edited by GOWTLOZ - on 24 December 2018

Around the Network

Well the generation isn't exactly done yet. By the end MHW would probably inch over 12 million, GT Sport will get over 5 million, FF15 will probably get to at least 8.5 million, and RE7 could get to 6 million. The 3M figure for Nier was before the Xbox version, so 3.5 million will come easy. Dragonball Fighterz is selling well and will probably get it's own spot in that list.

Plus Kingdom Hearts 3 and Sekiro are coming.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

You learn something new everyday. I have no idea that the Gran Turismo developers were based in Japan

Huh. I didn't realize that Bloodborne didn't sell over ~2.8 million.

So, you just ignore big amounts of sold games and now with this thusly cherry-picked data you prove a theory you have... This sounds golden.

I have a tip for your next thread. Ignoring Nintendo you could easily prove that the second generation of videogame consoles was much healthier than the third!

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Megiddo said:
Huh. I didn't realize that Bloodborne didn't sell over ~2.8 million.

I actually think it probably has. VGChartz has it at 2.98 million copies, and that doesn't include digital sales. Going by official numbers, it had sold over 2 million copies by September 2015. I'd be quite surprised if it hasn't moved at least another million in almost three years.

Maybe the top 10 is similar but what about 11-100?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Publishers in general seem to be doing better this gen compared to the last. And that include the Japanese publishers.

1. Capcom's former best-selling game was Resident Evil 5 (7.3 mill) which released almost 10 years ago (2009), and Monster Hunter World has the potential to sell over twice as much currently being at over 10 mill.
  2. Sega has also been struggling financially for many years and still is in some cases. However, after purchasing Atlus, they've had a recent success in Persona 5 being the best-selling title in the series.
  3. Since Tekken 3 sold 8.3 mill on PS1, Bandai Namco has had difficulty finding comparable successes especially in the West. Dark Souls has changed that, and DS3 from 2016 is their fastest selling title in the West ever. Additionally, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 1+2 have surpassed 10 mill and Dragon Ball FighterZ is the fastest selling DB game ever.
  4. After 15 years of declining sales for Final Fantasy, FFXV is the fastest selling game in the series ever and Square Enix has announced that it has surpassed 7.7 mill with only FFX (8 mill), FFVIII (8.8 mill) and FFVII (11 mill) still in front of it.
  5. I know OP says "non Nintendo" but they've certainly had a stellar gen so far as well. The huge numbers with Switch, Zelda, Mario Kart and 3D Mario haven't been seen since Wii peaked.

Replicant said:

Publishers in general seem to be doing better this gen compared to the last. And that include the Japanese publishers.

1. Capcom's former best-selling game was Resident Evil 5 (7.3 mill) which released almost 10 years ago (2009), and Monster Hunter World has the potential to sell over twice as much currently being at over 10 mill.
  2. Sega has also been struggling financially for many years and still is in some cases. However, after purchasing Atlus, they've had a recent success in Persona 5 being the best-selling title in the series.
  3. Since Tekken 3 sold 8.3 mill on PS1, Bandai Namco has had difficulty finding comparable successes especially in the West. Dark Souls has changed that, and DS3 from 2016 is their fastest selling title in the West ever. Additionally, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 1+2 have surpassed 10 mill and Dragon Ball FighterZ is the fastest selling DB game ever.
  4. After 15 years of declining sales for Final Fantasy, FFXV is the fastest selling game in the series ever and Square Enix has announced that it has surpassed 7.7 mill with only FFX (8 mill), FFVIII (8.8 mill) and FFVII (11 mill) still in front of it.
  5. I know OP says "non Nintendo" but they've certainly had a stellar gen so far as well. The huge numbers with Switch, Zelda, Mario Kart and 3D Mario haven't been seen since Wii peaked.

Yeah looking at it from an individual publishers performance gives much better context than just comparing the top 10.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Replicant said:

Yeah looking at it from an individual publishers performance gives much better context than just comparing the top 10.

Yeah, and the games aren't done selling at all. In the end I think only Gran Turismo and Street Fighter of last gen's big franchises will see decline and this has more to do with their poor reception as well as no numbered and traditional release in GT's case. One can argue that Resident Evil will be down as well though RE7 aren't done selling and RE2 Remake may turn out to be a big hit.

Monster Hunter, Dragon Ball, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Dark Souls, Tekken, Persona, Nier, The Legend of Zelda, 3D Mario, etc. will all be up.