By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I'm not sure I can go back to Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate after playing World.

Cerebralbore101 said:

I just tried the demo for a few minutes. The landscapes feel barren. I feel like I'm standing in a vast empty field with one monster every fifty feet.  There are two second loading screens between each section of the map. These two things just make the game feel ancient in comparison to World. 

But then again, there are hunter arts, and different classes, in addition to your weapons. There's more monsters in this one too. Using a Greatsword doesn't feel so slow in this one, like it did in World. And there's more choices when it comes to how to build your Hunter. 

Sooo, basically your second paragraph says why you can go back.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nuvendil said:

Except the situation isn't even remotely similar given that Monster Hunter World delivers nothing impossible on the Switch, Capcom's just a bunch of lazy pricks vs Final Fantasy VII being literally impossible due to the limitations of the cartridge format.

And Final Fantasy VII made exactly zero gameplay advancements beyond what the N64 could do, it was ENTIRELY presentation (the prerendered cutscenes)

Are you so sure that the new Monster Hunter could be played on the switch without a horrible downport? This isnt doom or a last gen game. Monster hunter world is a game of considerable size and effort.

Final Fantasy VII could've been played on the N64 graphically, but in terms of cinematicsand music the disc space available allowed the Square Enix to realize what they wanted out FFVII that a typical cartridge could not.Seems we're back at square one...except the the platform is underpowered. This is what happens when the industry pushes its limits and you wont. 

I love Nintendo, but we must accept the reality that generations is being ported for a reason.

Generations Ultimate is a port of a 3DS game. The gameplay-limitations the OP mentions stem from that hardware and could be easily made better in a new game. The current Monster Hunter World may not be feasible for it's graphic presentation, but many of the gameplay changes could be brought to Switch, with a reduced presentation. And OP mentions that MHW misses out on content and depth in some gameplay areas.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Usually it is hard to go the opposite way of evolution.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The_Liquid_Laser said:
In spite of all complaints, the Japanese will buy a lot more copies of Gen. Ultimate than World. I'm sure it will be good enough.

The Japanese already have Generations Ultimate (or Double Cross in Japan) for quite some time, on 3DS and Switch. And they didn't buy it over MHW (although VGC had Ultimate in both version together at nearly 2M, MHW is a bit over 2M). Which is understandable, as MHW is the next mainline entry, while MonHun Cross (or Generations in the West) was a spin-off and Double Cross (or Generations Ultimate in the West) is only the enhanced version of it. Monster Hunter Cross did actually outsell MHW in Japan, although it is close and with digital very likely MHW is in the lead.

Mnementh said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I just tried the demo for a few minutes. The landscapes feel barren. I feel like I'm standing in a vast empty field with one monster every fifty feet.  There are two second loading screens between each section of the map. These two things just make the game feel ancient in comparison to World. 

But then again, there are hunter arts, and different classes, in addition to your weapons. There's more monsters in this one too. Using a Greatsword doesn't feel so slow in this one, like it did in World. And there's more choices when it comes to how to build your Hunter. 

Sooo, basically your second paragraph says why you can go back.

Yeah that was the point of the second paragraph. MHW is nice and all, but there are some really terrible balancing choices in it. You have to grind for ultra rare gems for hours in order to get the setup you want in World. And once you've gotten all those really awesome size three gems, there's nothing to do with them, because you've already gone to the end of the game, and beyond. Too many recycled monsters with the Tempered functionality. Armor sets are either weakscauce or super OP in World. 

MHGU is a game that I'll buy and play, but I might just get tired of it. We'll see. 

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
In spite of all complaints, the Japanese will buy a lot more copies of Gen. Ultimate than World. I'm sure it will be good enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monster_Hunter_Generations

"The Switch version sold 84,377 copies in its first week in Japan, debuting at number 1 in the charts, selling 48.9% of its initial shipment. As of November 6, 2017, shipments of the Switch version exceeded 350,000 units in Japan."

Meanwhile Monster Hunter World is over 2m+ units sold in japan I think?

Nozz-A-La said:
zippy said:
So even though Ultimate is a bit more meaty with more monsters and gameplay options, you would pass because of it being visually weaker?

What do you mean? OP doesn't mention the visuals?

Loading screens and vast empty fields are game design choices due to hardware limitations.

Isn't the monster AI supposed to be better in MHW as well?

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Mnementh said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The Japanese already have Generations Ultimate (or Double Cross in Japan) for quite some time, on 3DS and Switch. And they didn't buy it over MHW (although VGC had Ultimate in both version together at nearly 2M, MHW is a bit over 2M). Which is understandable, as MHW is the next mainline entry, while MonHun Cross (or Generations in the West) was a spin-off and Double Cross (or Generations Ultimate in the West) is only the enhanced version of it. Monster Hunter Cross did actually outsell MHW in Japan, although it is close and with digital very likely MHW is in the lead.

Makes sense.  I didn't realize this game was just a 3DS port.

Monster Hunter World is my next game after Persona 5. Looking forward to it, and contemplating getting Generations Ultimate. Will probably wait though, because after being absorbed into Persona 5, I think my VITA will have my portable gaming covered for a bit because Persona 4 Golden has made its way into my sights. Not to mention I have more to do in Octopath (I intentionally used only 4 characters so I could effectively get the full experience twice).

From what I am reading here, I am making the right choice.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Yeah, Capcom seems like they we're trying to have their cake and it eat with this one. The game was announced practically on top of the Switch ' s initial trailer in 2016. With the 3DS game released the same month and weeks later after lower then normal sales then they announced the Switch port. Japan was right not to buy into that nonsense. I get not wanting to go back either some of the mechanics of the older games should have been replaced years ago, hopefully if Capcom isn't shady a legit Switch Monster Hunter is in works that merges features from World and past games.