By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Sells Through 3 Million Units

Do You Own A PSVR?

Yes 18 35.29%

No 33 64.71%

Total:51
potato_hamster said:
Errorist76 said:

How is that reality when you say the technology isn't there yet, yet games like Moss, Wipeout, Ultrawings or RE7 and The Persistence clearly show it IS?!

I dont even want it to have mainstream success. I don't get why some people think something is just succesful when it sells hundreds of millions of units?
I'm truly enjoying the passionate community and helpful Reddit over lots and lots of immature idiots atm.

The first iPhone sold 6,124,000 units...Just saying.

Well it depends on what you mean by "there yet" for you, that means "well enough that it's tolerable for VR enthusiasts", but for me it means "ready for mass-market adoption". It's not close to that.

The fact that you try to equate current VR solutions with the fucking iPhone says everything you need to say about your mindset when it comes to VR.

I mentioned that exactly because of you talking about mainstream success of pioneering new technology... I' sure you can see the connection.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
JRPGfan said:

Impressive that just abit more than 3m people, have bought about 22m copies of VR games.

Ya the hardware sales might not be that impressive but thats a really solid tie ratio.

Yeah it's unusually high and I can definitely relate. I've never bought as much software in such a short time as I did for my PSVR. To be honest my numbers are halved though, as I game share all my PSVR games with my brother. I'm still easily over that number though..we're owning around 30 games for the system at the moment.

That's what, a 4-5% attach rate? And coupled with the fact that it took a good eight and a half months to sell another million, as I supposed to be impressed?

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Errorist76 said:
potato_hamster said:

Well it depends on what you mean by "there yet" for you, that means "well enough that it's tolerable for VR enthusiasts", but for me it means "ready for mass-market adoption". It's not close to that.

The fact that you try to equate current VR solutions with the fucking iPhone says everything you need to say about your mindset when it comes to VR.

I mentioned that exactly because of you talking about mainstream success of pioneering new technology... I' sure you can see the connection.

There is no connection. VR has existed for literally decades. This is not "pioneering new technology" in any way. It's just a better version of it.

The fact that you just put the first model's total sales up there without the context for why it only sold that many units shows how you're not looking at VR reasonably. Imagine in its first year if the PSVR was only sold in Best Buys in America, only worked with PS4 Pros, and required a persistent internet connection. That's about on par with the first iPhone's retail situation. And it still sold *six times* what the PSVR did in one year before it was replaced with the iPhone 3G,

That's why the first iPhone only sold 7 million units. What's PSVR's excuse?

Last edited by potato_hamster - on 16 August 2018

potato_hamster said:
Errorist76 said:

There is no connection. VR has existed for literally decades. This is not "pioneering new technology" in any way. It's just a better version of it.

The fact that you just put the first model's total sales up there without the context for why it only sold that many units shows how you're not looking at VR reasonably. Imagine in its first year if the PSVR was only sold in Best Buys in America, only worked with PS4 Pros, and required a persistent internet connection. That's about on par with the first iPhone's retail situation. And it still sold *six times* what the PSVR did in one year before it was replaced with the iPhone 3G,

Its a perephial which is almost as expensive as the PS4 itself. Never the less I doubt PSVR will ever be something but Niche. And for a perephial which is sold for 200 bugs and above. I would still say its a succes. Don't own one though and probably never will. 

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Errorist76 said:

Again with that nonsense. VR has NOT existed for decades in any meaningful way. You negative nanny spouted all that BS already in another thread and I'm not willing to repeat myself again. Continue hating if you must, I'm not engaging with you on another senseless discussion. 

And to even honestly think a VR headset would get the same sales numbers as a new type of phone just shows your own intentions of trying to talk down everything VR, even though Sony is way more successful than the direct competition.

Do us all a favour and keep your negative head out of all VR discussions if that's all you want to contribute! Thx

flashfire926 said: 
That's what, a 4-5% attach rate? And coupled with the fact that it took a good eight and a half months to sell another million, as I supposed to be impressed?

You wouldn't be impressed by anything Sony does in any way, regardless.

Errorist76 said:
potato_hamster said:

Again with that nonsense. VR has NOT existed for decades in any meaningful way. You negative nanny spouted all that BS already in another thread and I'm not willing to repeat myself again. Continue hating if you must, I'm not engaging with you on another senseless discussion. 

And to even honestly think a VR headset would get the same sales numbers as a new type of phone just shows your own intentions of trying to talk down everything VR, even though Sony is way more successful than the direct competition.

Do us all a favour and keep your negative head out of all VR discussions if that's all you want to contribute! Thx

flashfire926 said: 

You wouldn't be impressed by anything Sony does in any way, regardless.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VFX1_Headgear

That's just one example. You can deny it all you want, but I personally have used multiple VR solutions before 2000. VR has been niche and gone in and out of different levels of fad for almost as long as Nintendo has been making game consoles.

Yes, Sony is wayyyyy more successful than any other VR competitor, and it's only managed to sell 3 million units in just under 2 years. That's because VR is still very niche, as it has been for decades, and probably will be for the forseeable future.

Also, you don't get to dictate who posts in what. If you don't like me posting in threads about VR, that's your problem, not mine.

Qwark said:
potato_hamster said:

Its a perephial which is almost as expensive as the PS4 itself. Never the less I doubt PSVR will ever be something but Niche. And for a perephial which is sold for 200 bugs and above. I would still say its a succes. Don't own one though and probably never will. 

During Black Friday, you could get a PS4 + PSVR for the same price as a PS4 Pro.

They sold more PS4 pros.

Cool, the next generation VR should sell more and have many needed improvements.

potato_hamster said:
Qwark said:

During Black Friday, you could get a PS4 + PSVR for the same price as a PS4 Pro.

They sold more PS4 pros.

You should work at a weekly market the way you're comparing apples to oranges.