By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Sells Through 3 Million Units

Do You Own A PSVR?

Yes 18 35.29%

No 33 64.71%

Total:51

Ill be honest here:All things considered, this is a decent number, but by no means excellent.

As I have stated plenty of times before, VR still needs to grow a whole lot more before becomming trully viable as a mainstream device.But congratulations to Sony nevertheless!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network
OTBWY said:

VR is not there yet.

Seeing there are a lot of competitor and big company involving in developing VR tech, i don't see your point.  

Decent sales. At this pace 5m+looks certain. Personally I'm holding off until the ps5 gen when it's tech is better and hopefully cheaper. Lots of my friends actually have it and all say it's great. They're getting that new team shooter next week the one like rainbow 6. I'm jealous but I'll hold off. Next gen if they can get games like gta v running on it then psvr could go from a 5-10m product to 30m+.

Errorist76 said:
OTBWY said:

Why? The games are largely uninteresting and lastly, VR is not there yet.

I'm sure you're speaking from experience. Please let us know..how much experience do you have with PSVR?

Would you have 2D gaming also considered to be "not there yet" until this gen of consoles?

Stop questioning everybody who doesnt praise VR, it comes off as extremely petty and unwilling to accept any criticism.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

potato_hamster said:
So, PSVR sells 2 million units in just over a year, and takes another 9 months to sell another million. PSVR sales are slowing down, the system isn't even two years old, and this is the most popular VR headset - by far.

Looks like the market has spoken that VR won't be mainstream any time soon.

Hasn't Gear VR sold around 8 million headsets?

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Errorist76 said:

I'm sure you're speaking from experience. Please let us know..how much experience do you have with PSVR?

Would you have 2D gaming also considered to be "not there yet" until this gen of consoles?

Stop questioning everybody who doesnt praise VR, it comes off as extremely petty and unwilling to accept any criticism.

The guy wasn't criticising anything. He was just throwing empty words around. It's a noticeable pattern that those doing that usually don't own the system nor have much experience with it.

That's why I was asking a legitimate question. No answer yet.

Mandalore76 said:
potato_hamster said:
So, PSVR sells 2 million units in just over a year, and takes another 9 months to sell another million. PSVR sales are slowing down, the system isn't even two years old, and this is the most popular VR headset - by far.

Looks like the market has spoken that VR won't be mainstream any time soon.

Hasn't Gear VR sold around 8 million headsets?

GearVR is a 3DOF headset using a phone, meaning it's not only not a full headset but also missing the full 3-dimensional tracking of other 6DOF or even roomscale headsets like PSVR, Rift, Vive or WMR headsets.

DonFerrari said:
potato_hamster said:

Yeah for sure. Apparently, the fact that so far, given the same price, more people preferring playing some PS4 games in 4K than playing some PS4 games in VR for is an "apples and oranges comparison". That's totally not a reasonable comparison at all. You got me.

At end of generation more people will have bought PS4Pro at 399 USD than they bought WiiU at under 299 USD. This clearly shows people prefer to play PS games with added pixels than any Nintendo game.

PS4Pro play whole PS catalog and one would be choosing between buying PS4 vanilla or expending a little more for PS4Pro, on PSVR he is buying 2 HW for a reduced catalog.

No, during Black Friday, the PS4 was $199, and the PSVR was $199. The PS4 Pro was $399. So, you could get a PS4 and a PSVR for the same price as a PS4 Pro.

Errorist76 said:
zorg1000 said:

The guy wasn't criticising anything. He was just throwing empty words around. It's a noticeable pattern that those doing that usually don't own the system nor have much experience with it.

That's why I was asking a legitimate question. No answer yet.

It's not a legitimate question. You automatically assume that anyone who criticizes VR and say it isn't the greatest thing ever hasn't played VR, or hasn't played it enough to have what you feel is a valid opinion on it. Then, even when they do claim to have experience with it, you dismiss it as them either lying or not getting the proper VR experience by not using the right equipment or not playing the right games.

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

Who said it sold only 1 million? The reported 1 million last June and 2 million in December.

Can't say names, but if you enter in other VR threads they were always saying how much of a bomb it was and that Sony wouldn't give more numbers, and on they having over 50% of the market and crying it showed that they couldn't make the market big and all other excuses.

flashfire926 said:
That's what, a 4-5% attach rate? And coupled with the fact that it took a good eight and a half months to sell another million, as I supposed to be impressed?

So I guess considering it costs 300 USD and if we do a conversion on the attach ratio for a 60USD game (and you still need to buy games to use PSVR, people bought average 7 games) any game with less than 20% attach ratio is a failure?

People buying PSVR in average would have expended 299 for PS4 + 299 for PSVR and 210 for games (averaging on the 30 per game since there are smaller experience and full priced ones) or over 800 USD on the experience, I call that quite strong for an peripheral. In fact sold more than Kinect 2 which was bundled with all Xbox sold for just 100 more than PS4.

potato_hamster said:

Yeah for sure. Apparently, the fact that so far, given the same price, more people preferring playing some PS4 games in 4K than playing some PS4 games in VR for is an "apples and oranges comparison". That's totally not a reasonable comparison at all. You got me.

At end of generation more people will have bought PS4Pro at 399 USD than they bought WiiU at under 299 USD. This clearly shows people prefer to play PS games with added pixels than any Nintendo game.

PS4Pro play whole PS catalog and one would be choosing between buying PS4 vanilla or expending a little more for PS4Pro, on PSVR he is buying 2 HW for a reduced catalog.

Very interesting that you chose the Wii U for comparison instead of the Switch.  The PS4 Pro launched on November 10, 2016.  The Wii U was officially discontinued on January 31, 2017.  The Nintendo Switch launched March 3, 2017.  So, whatever hypothetically choice you are showing is based on less than 3 months of the 2 systems competing for sales.  Tell me when PS4Pro surpasses Nintendo Switch sales, since you are claiming that the majority of people since the Pro's release are choosing 4K gaming over Nintendo games.