By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Sells Through 3 Million Units

Do You Own A PSVR?

Yes 18 35.29%

No 33 64.71%

Total:51
Mandalore76 said:
potato_hamster said:
So, PSVR sells 2 million units in just over a year, and takes another 9 months to sell another million. PSVR sales are slowing down, the system isn't even two years old, and this is the most popular VR headset - by far.

Looks like the market has spoken that VR won't be mainstream any time soon.

Hasn't Gear VR sold around 8 million headsets?

Gear VR is regularly given away for free with Samsung Galaxy phones. There are dozens of unopened Gear VR headsets for sale on craigslist in my city at any one time. It's hard to see Gear VR numbers as relevant.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Errorist76 said:

The guy wasn't criticising anything. He was just throwing empty words around. It's a noticeable pattern that those doing that usually don't own the system nor have much experience with it.

That's why I was asking a legitimate question. No answer yet.

It's not a legitimate question. You automatically assume that anyone who criticizes VR and say it isn't the greatest thing ever hasn't played VR, or hasn't played it enough to have what you feel is a valid opinion on it. Then, even when they do claim to have experience with it, you dismiss it as them either lying or not getting the proper VR experience by not using the right equipment or not playing the right games.

Is OTBWY a second account of yours or why are you speaking for him? You gave me your statement already with all that came with it, your own depression and stuff. I'm not interested in hearing more about it. I accept it but don't pretend to speak for others please.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 16 August 2018

Wow, the bitterness is real. I can get VR not being your thing, but actually actively hating it? Boy. I guess some people can't stand PlayStation having yet another (moderate) success. Can't wait to see how they respond to the PS5.

@ OP

Good numbers so far. I'll probably pick up one this BF, when it's $149-$199.

Errorist76 said:
potato_hamster said:

It's not a legitimate question. You automatically assume that anyone who criticizes VR and say it isn't the greatest thing ever hasn't played VR, or hasn't played it enough to have what you feel is a valid opinion on it. Then, even when they do claim to have experience with it, you dismiss it as them either lying or not getting the proper VR experience by not using the right equipment or not playing the right games.

Is OTBWY a second account of yours or why are you speaking for him? You gave me your statement already with all that came with it, your own depression and stuff. I'm not interested in hearing more about it. I accept it but don't pretend to speak for others please.

Nope. i have no idea who that user is. I just just giving my opinion about why its not a legitimate question. You do know how forums work, right? Anyone can reply to any statement or question. If you wish you just talk to OTBWY then you can PM him.

thismeintiel said:
Wow, the bitterness is real. I can get VR not being your thing, but actually actively hating it? Boy. I guess some people can't stand PlayStation having yet another (moderate) success. Can't wait to see how they respond to the PS5.

@ OP

Good numbers so far. I'll probably pick up one this BF, when it's $149-$199.

I bet they will have a Dreams bundle once they announce a firm release date.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Errorist76 said:

Nope. i have no idea who that user is. I just just giving my opinion about why its not a legitimate question. You do know how forums work, right? Anyone can reply to any statement or question. If you wish you just talk to OTBWY then you can PM him.

Well I dont think anything will change your mind coz u have already decided what to believe! If it was unsuccessful Sony wont have announced the sales numbers! Considering this gen was the big push for VR for mass market and 3 million is pretty astonishing number, Considering the fact there was a huge nintendo hybrid launched last year and PSVR a gaming experience in its infancy still sold at a steady rate is a pretty big deal.

I think sony will feel sorry for you, as PSvr has failed to meet your lofty expectation.

I think PSVR is a big success. It's the first ever successful console VR platform- and the only headset currently on the market for consoles. It more than doubled it's two main competitors sales. Sony themselves stated that it exceeded their sales forecasts. Contrary to popular misinformation- It's got a large, healthy library of great games and is continuing to get support.

taus90 said:
potato_hamster said:

Well I dont think anything will change your mind coz u have already decided what to believe! If it was unsuccessful Sony wont have announced the sales numbers! Considering this gen was the big push for VR for mass market and 3 million is pretty astonishing number, Considering the fact there was a huge nintendo hybrid launched last year and PSVR a gaming experience in its infancy still sold at a steady rate is a pretty big deal.

I think sony will feel sorry for you, as PSvr has failed to meet your lofty expectation.

It's pretty easy to change my mind actually, but I really don't see how 3 million in sales can be seen as a success. It's not like terrible or embarrassing, it's just okay. That's probably why Sony said that PSVR's market growth was "below expectations" in a investors event in may.

It just confirms what I've said since it was announced. PSVR is a niche product and it's not going to bring VR to mainstream. The technology isn't there and the price isn't there, and it ut maybe we should temper our expectations that this segment of the industry is going to be replacing televisions in the main way to play a Playstation game in the foreseeable future.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with being a niche product, but it was just never was going to be more than that and it's becoming painfully obvious. Maybe in the future some people might want to pause and reconsider the next time they refer to a game like God of War as a "retro style game".

potato_hamster said:

No, during Black Friday, the PS4 was $199, and the PSVR was $199. The PS4 Pro was $399. So, you could get a PS4 and a PSVR for the same price as a PS4 Pro.

$399? So there weren't any PS4 Pro deals last Black Friday?

Sure, let's ignore the $350 Destiny 2 PS4 Pro bundle at Amazon.com, the $349 PS4 Pro deals at GameStop and Walmart, the €286 PS4 Pro deal (taxes included) at MediaMarkt (Germany)...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/11/23/all-the-best-black-friday-deals-on-ps4-and-ps4-pro/#76f9ee0d35dc

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Black-Friday-Kampfpreis-Spielkonsole-Playstation-4-Pro-fuer-284-Euro-bei-Mediamarkt-3900670.html

https://bestblackfriday.com/hot/playstation-4

flashfire926 said: 
That's what, a 4-5% attach rate? And coupled with the fact that it took a good eight and a half months to sell another million, as I supposed to be impressed?

You wouldn't be impressed by anything Sony does in any way, regardless.

What nonsense is this? 

-PS2 is my favourite system of all time

-Shadow of The Collosus and Gran Turismo 4 are some of my favourite games of all time.

-I really liked Playing Horizon: Zero Dawn for the little time I did.

-I'm hyped for Spiderman

but no, based on that one comment I'm biased against Sony, right?

You can't label someone like this just because they don't agree with your narratives. Grow some skin and admit people can have different opinions.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.