By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Sells Through 3 Million Units

Do You Own A PSVR?

Yes 18 35.29%

No 33 64.71%

Total:51

Love my PSVR but it really needs a price cut and more quality games and/or ports that aren't glorified tech demo's to go mainstream. Or better yet, more AAA games with a VR mode like Resident Evil 7.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
DonFerrari said:

No the irrelevancy comes from not mattering if it was done in 1 day or in 7 years since that is the total sales and the company cut it out after that because it would just keep dropping sales until it became 0. That is aggravated by the fact that Virtua Boy was a gaming system not an accessory, so any console, handheld or whatever you want to call Virtua Boy selling 700k have been considered a flop, not so much for very specific accessories. The rate of sales of Virtua Boy would be irrelevant closely after they the period you want to consider (as pointed out by another user here, that 700k shipment was largely over supplied and the system kept selling 10k a week months after there were no more shipments, that is why you trying to cut it to a specific period is irrelevant). Another thing that makes it irrelevant is the fact that Nintendo wasn't happy with the sales and cut it out, while Oculus and Vive are keeping it.

You do know that 1 in 1000 is 0.1% instead of 0.0001%? That is the main reason for me calling the BS on your 0.0001% marketshare that you were so proud to give.

I won't dispute your point of 650USD PCs being VR ready, but I want you to provide credible sources that there are 200M PCs that are VR ready at homes as you have claimed. Last I heard from Pemalite there were close to 100M close to PS4 (regular) PCs on the market and those are still not capable of running Oculus and Vive VR at any decent capacity. There were already sources on this thread putting it closer to the 20-50M bracket of PCs that really can do VR with these units. So you better have a source to contradict them, because if not it will be only your assumption that exist over 4x more.

So ok, don't bring the analysts responsible for the system, but please bring an statistic among analysis from credible people showing the reason of failure for WiiU (like 10% of analysts pointed to this as biggest reason, 40% for that, etc) that shows there wasn't a higher percentage of conclusions going towards a high representation of WiiU having the tablet as one of the biggest problems the system faced. I will wait laid down for your sources, if you can't provide then stop trying to say you can find them.

You clearly doesn't know what luxury is. When someone that doesn't even have enough money for food or housing but can buy a smartphone you are clearly not talking about luxury. Car and internet also aren't luxury. Or are you going to consider everything over water and food as luxury? But even so, if you want to call smartphones a luxury, regular cellphones would be on the same class as well so your differentiation would crush under their own weight. Let me help on what can be considered luxury, things that less than 0,1% of the population can afford, that doesn't have any relevant functionality, serves for status over anything else, etc, that is where jewelry, mont blanc pens, gold platted consoles, diamond pierced smartphones, personal 50M USD business jet and other things like that are classified. You wanted so much to use dictionary for niche (even though you can't use basic math) but for luxury you gone for a self coined term.

I'm very wrong on Kinect 2? On the over 6 months in the market please list how many games did MS release that had kinect as the main form of play, because having it hearing a "duck", "reinforcements" or whatever command from the phone isn't really motion control input. I have some games from Move for PS4, including one that came with the system. But yes Sony diminished the support, that isn't coming back, you are very terrible at analysis. If something didn't became standard (as did touchscreen) then removing it isn't really going back technology. But since you brought it to the table, what are your analysis of the sales Blackberry is going to do and by how much will the coming back of qwerty keys will win against all the touchscreen systems?

What benefits of qwerty keys will bring over full screen smartphones with touch bring that weren't there before it got outsold by it. VHS and K-7 brings the benefit of direct capture of TV and radio feed, much easier and direct than BD or CD, satisfied? But since you think Blackberry will come back to win the smartphone fight, why don't you also place your odds for VHS and K-7?

No I didn't say just releasing numbers shows they are meeting expectations. I point other 2 factors of being positive, and that when sales were bad the stopped putting them straight. Don't spin and strawman my argument. Please show your source for Sony not being satisfied or not meeting projections with PSVR.

Credentials =/= names. You pretend to be doing a good analysis, but haven't show anything useful, real or relevant. You want to say you are not being negative, but that is all you have done. You have spined definitions, arguments and all just to try and fit a narrative of your choice.

Okay man. Thanks for the confirmation. Again, it doesn't really matter if the Virtual Boy took six months or twelve to sell its total stock, the point was that the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift sold at around the same rate as the Virtual Boy, a rate which I might add, doesn't appear to have increased at all. I don't care exactly how many VR systems Nintendo sold in the first six months, or the first year, the same way I don't care exactly how many units Oculus or HTC moved. It really, really doesn't matter for my point at all. Yet you keep getting hung up on this mundane little point as if it's critical for anything.

Do you know I made up the 1 in 1000 figure also? I said  "1 in every say, 1000 owners of VR capable PCs bought a VR headset". I even bolded the part that means I'm throwing out a number for the sake of argument. Again, your focusing on mundane bits of my and completely missing the larger point I'm making. I could have said 1 in 10,000 or 1 in 100,000 and it would change my point at all.

I clearly don't know what a luxury is? Well that's odd, considering that in many countries, smartphones, like game consoles, are given a "luxury tax". Just because people make terrible choices and would rather have a device that plays Angry Birds than make sure their basic needs are met doesn't mean that having a device that plays angry birds is a basic need. A Luxury item is anything that isn't necessary but makes an individual's life more enjoyable. Game consoles are luxury items. Televisions are luxury items, cars are luxury items. Do you what isn't luxury items? Food. Housing. Soap, Laundry detergent. Toilet Paper. Feminine Hygene products. Bus passes. That's why in many countries these things are not taxed at all. With the decline of landlines in households and apartments, it can be argued that a basic cell phone can be considered a basic need item, since you know, being able to call the police, or an ambulance can be easily be considered a basic need.  If only things that "0.1% of the population can buy" would be considered a luxury item then almost nothing would be. Cars like Lexus, Audi, BMW, Porsche are considered "Luxury Cars" yet anyone making six figures (well below 0.1% of the population) can afford one. Your definition of "luxury" holds no water.

Yeah, you're wrong on the Kinect 2. Microsoft pushed and pushed and pushed that Kinect 2 was as part of the Xbox One as the controller was. How can that be considered less than standard? Need I give more quotes? But. their customers told them to go shit in their hand so they dropped it like a brick... eventually...

You still don't get my point of bringing up the Blackberry, do you? It's a niche product. It hasn't sold well at all, but for some people, having a physical keyboard with tactile feedback (you know, that thing I already mentioned) is something that is highly desired that as it turns out, the majority of the market doesn't not care about. The new blackberry phones haven't sold well and likely wont, because it's niche, because it's only desirable to a small portion of the cell phone market. i never said Blackberry will comeback to win the cell phone fight. That would be completely ridiculous.

You said that the PSVR must be meeting expectations partly because Sony is still releasing sales numbers on it. Here. I'll quote you.

"Since we have 2 positive direct info with being over projected and being pleased, plus providing numbers (PSVita they stopped showing numbers when it got bad, and PS3 just got direct numbers when things started being good) make 3 good pointers of meeting or exceeding projections"

So first, they said they exceeded expectations and are pleased with sales in the first few months. they haven't said it since. Sony released Vita numbers until they got embarassing, and they always released PS3 numbers. I'm not sure why you think Sony never released PS3 numbers in the beginning. I don't seem to have any trouble finding the numbers on their annual statements since its release. Here. Look it up yourself.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/archive.html

FY 2006,2007, 2008 all have shipped numbers for PS3. I never checked the rest. So the mere fact that they're still posting PSVR numbers just means they're not embarrassed by them. If you don't think them posting numbers is evidence that they're pleased with the numbers, please clarify. I never said that Sony said they weren't pleased with PSVR numbers, I simply said that they haven't said they were happy with sales in over a year.

I don't know what how to deal with your last paragraph? I think you might be having some language issues here, because that's a bunch of meaningless word salad.

For you it is a mundane difference 0.1% to 0.001%? What about 5M VRs on a userbase of 150M (80M PS and certainly no more than 70M capable on PC) that makes it 3% that is certainly a lot more than 0.0001% even if we took your 200M PCs it would make the marketshare 1.8% still much greater. So we know you are torturing numbers to make your point.

Funny you complain I don't care and think it's irrelevant for you to come back and do it. And sorry but it isn't 12 months, it would be for the life of the system it wouldn't grow much over it. PSVR is adding Virtua Boy lifetime about every 4 months. But let's avoid talking about it.

So the tax on luxury items is what define luxury and not being taxed defines what is necessary? In Brazil videogames are taxed as gambling (so Super Mario is a gambling?), electricity, water, food and everything else is taxed as well so they aren't a need right? The only thing not taxed in Brazil at this moment is air. Also better yet aircrafts have tax exemption so I guess they are basic need on your definition. If basically 100% of developed countries population can have a smartphone and even over 1/3 of whole world can as well it isn't a luxury item even if you can say it isn't a necessity, but then phone also aren't so your point was already null and void.

You don't need to give quotes, give me MS games launched on X1 with Kinect being the standard input system. Because if you want quotes from MS I can show they saying they are improving 1st party releases for over 5 years before really doing it.

So your point on blackberry was to try and strawman, ok.

Reread my quote, read your reply. You are still missing any source that confirm Sony isn't pleased anymore or that they aren't meeting projections. Because as already pointed to you there were 2 direct positive on the sales, one indication of positive and 0 indication of negative. Either provide or conceed you are wrong.

Yes sure you don't know difference between showing your credentials, or at least given correct and factual information versus saying your name.

I'll also suppose that the points you avoided to answer were you conceeding you were wrong on as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
potato_hamster said:

Okay man. Thanks for the confirmation. Again, it doesn't really matter if the Virtual Boy took six months or twelve to sell its total stock, the point was that the HTC Vive and the Oculus Rift sold at around the same rate as the Virtual Boy, a rate which I might add, doesn't appear to have increased at all. I don't care exactly how many VR systems Nintendo sold in the first six months, or the first year, the same way I don't care exactly how many units Oculus or HTC moved. It really, really doesn't matter for my point at all. Yet you keep getting hung up on this mundane little point as if it's critical for anything.

Do you know I made up the 1 in 1000 figure also? I said  "1 in every say, 1000 owners of VR capable PCs bought a VR headset". I even bolded the part that means I'm throwing out a number for the sake of argument. Again, your focusing on mundane bits of my and completely missing the larger point I'm making. I could have said 1 in 10,000 or 1 in 100,000 and it would change my point at all.

I clearly don't know what a luxury is? Well that's odd, considering that in many countries, smartphones, like game consoles, are given a "luxury tax". Just because people make terrible choices and would rather have a device that plays Angry Birds than make sure their basic needs are met doesn't mean that having a device that plays angry birds is a basic need. A Luxury item is anything that isn't necessary but makes an individual's life more enjoyable. Game consoles are luxury items. Televisions are luxury items, cars are luxury items. Do you what isn't luxury items? Food. Housing. Soap, Laundry detergent. Toilet Paper. Feminine Hygene products. Bus passes. That's why in many countries these things are not taxed at all. With the decline of landlines in households and apartments, it can be argued that a basic cell phone can be considered a basic need item, since you know, being able to call the police, or an ambulance can be easily be considered a basic need.  If only things that "0.1% of the population can buy" would be considered a luxury item then almost nothing would be. Cars like Lexus, Audi, BMW, Porsche are considered "Luxury Cars" yet anyone making six figures (well below 0.1% of the population) can afford one. Your definition of "luxury" holds no water.

Yeah, you're wrong on the Kinect 2. Microsoft pushed and pushed and pushed that Kinect 2 was as part of the Xbox One as the controller was. How can that be considered less than standard? Need I give more quotes? But. their customers told them to go shit in their hand so they dropped it like a brick... eventually...

You still don't get my point of bringing up the Blackberry, do you? It's a niche product. It hasn't sold well at all, but for some people, having a physical keyboard with tactile feedback (you know, that thing I already mentioned) is something that is highly desired that as it turns out, the majority of the market doesn't not care about. The new blackberry phones haven't sold well and likely wont, because it's niche, because it's only desirable to a small portion of the cell phone market. i never said Blackberry will comeback to win the cell phone fight. That would be completely ridiculous.

You said that the PSVR must be meeting expectations partly because Sony is still releasing sales numbers on it. Here. I'll quote you.

"Since we have 2 positive direct info with being over projected and being pleased, plus providing numbers (PSVita they stopped showing numbers when it got bad, and PS3 just got direct numbers when things started being good) make 3 good pointers of meeting or exceeding projections"

So first, they said they exceeded expectations and are pleased with sales in the first few months. they haven't said it since. Sony released Vita numbers until they got embarassing, and they always released PS3 numbers. I'm not sure why you think Sony never released PS3 numbers in the beginning. I don't seem to have any trouble finding the numbers on their annual statements since its release. Here. Look it up yourself.

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/archive.html

FY 2006,2007, 2008 all have shipped numbers for PS3. I never checked the rest. So the mere fact that they're still posting PSVR numbers just means they're not embarrassed by them. If you don't think them posting numbers is evidence that they're pleased with the numbers, please clarify. I never said that Sony said they weren't pleased with PSVR numbers, I simply said that they haven't said they were happy with sales in over a year.

I don't know what how to deal with your last paragraph? I think you might be having some language issues here, because that's a bunch of meaningless word salad.

For you it is a mundane difference 0.1% to 0.001%? What about 5M VRs on a userbase of 150M (80M PS and certainly no more than 70M capable on PC) that makes it 3% that is certainly a lot more than 0.0001% even if we took your 200M PCs it would make the marketshare 1.8% still much greater. So we know you are torturing numbers to make your point.

Funny you complain I don't care and think it's irrelevant for you to come back and do it. And sorry but it isn't 12 months, it would be for the life of the system it wouldn't grow much over it. PSVR is adding Virtua Boy lifetime about every 4 months. But let's avoid talking about it.

So the tax on luxury items is what define luxury and not being taxed defines what is necessary? In Brazil videogames are taxed as gambling (so Super Mario is a gambling?), electricity, water, food and everything else is taxed as well so they aren't a need right? The only thing not taxed in Brazil at this moment is air. Also better yet aircrafts have tax exemption so I guess they are basic need on your definition. If basically 100% of developed countries population can have a smartphone and even over 1/3 of whole world can as well it isn't a luxury item even if you can say it isn't a necessity, but then phone also aren't so your point was already null and void.

You don't need to give quotes, give me MS games launched on X1 with Kinect being the standard input system. Because if you want quotes from MS I can show they saying they are improving 1st party releases for over 5 years before really doing it.

So your point on blackberry was to try and strawman, ok.

Reread my quote, read your reply. You are still missing any source that confirm Sony isn't pleased anymore or that they aren't meeting projections. Because as already pointed to you there were 2 direct positive on the sales, one indication of positive and 0 indication of negative. Either provide or conceed you are wrong.

Yes sure you don't know difference between showing your credentials, or at least given correct and factual information versus saying your name.

I'll also suppose that the points you avoided to answer were you conceeding you were wrong on as well.

Source on VR capable PCs? seriously. Enough is enough. I gave a reason why I expect it could be 200 million+. What's your reasoning for thinking it can be "certainly no more than 70 million". You're also forgetting mobile phones. Samsung Gear Vr and Google say hello!. Holy shit that's like... literally a billion VR capable phones. Is that number less than 1% yet? I'm pretty sure it is. My point stands.

PSVR is selling 700K units every 4 months? Interesting. 21ish months on the market. 3 million in sales. Work on your math. But again, that's besides the point. I was saying the the Oculus Rift and HTC Vive (NOT the PSVR) have been selling at about the same rate as the Virtual Boy before Nintendo pulled the plug. What's that you were saying about strawmanning? I'm getting pretty tired of having to point out and re-point out how I never made the points you're arguing against.

Hey look, another strawman. I never said that the luxury tax on luxury items is what determines what a luxury item is. I made it very very very clear what the definition of a luxury item is. I even gave you examples of things that are and are not luxury items. But you still don't see to get it. Look up "Basic needs" figure out what they are. Besides a "luxury tax" is not the same as a "tax". Luxury taxes are extra taxes placed on item specifically because they're considered luxury items. Still, just because something doesn't have a luxury tax, doesn't mean it is not a luxury item, but an item that does have a luxury tax? It's pretty obvious.

Pst. You're moving goalposts. Why does a game need to have the Kinect as it's primary input for Microsoft to treat the Kinect as an integral part of the Xbox One. How many of those games had Kinect specific features built into them before they dropped Kinect support? Most, if not all of them. Because developers were required to support it unless they had good reason not to.

No, my point of bringing up blackberry was not a strawman at all. I was using it as an example of a niche product. You are strawmanning me by misrepresenting the reason I brought it up and how I brought it up though. How many strawmans is that in one post? three so far, I think. So let's take a second and make sure everyone knows what a strawman is.

A strawman is when you misrepresent the argument someone makes and argue against an argument that person did not make. Okay. Moving forward.

Where did I say that Sony is no longer pleased with VR sales? I never said it! Strawman #4!  I did concede that they did say they were pleased with sales... in February 2017. In the year and a half since then? They have not. You are speculating that they are still pleased with sales.

I am giving correct and factual information, with sources. You don't appear to be doing either.

And no, I'm not "conceeding I'm wrong" on anything else I didn't address. There's only so many times you can address something over and over again against someone who either disregards your point, or misunderstands it before it's no longer worth addressing. I'm not avoiding anything.

I'm not convinced enough to pick one up. Besides I suspect it'd give me headaches.

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?