By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Sells Through 3 Million Units

Do You Own A PSVR?

Yes 18 35.29%

No 33 64.71%

Total:51
potato_hamster said:
DonFerrari said:

And you could get a WiiU for less than PS4 for the full 5 years, still PS4 outsold it with a single year sales and PS4Pro will outsell WiiU as well. That certainly proves people doesn't like Nintendo games right? Or that they rather pay extra to see more pixels than have a platform for all Nintendo games of the generation right?

That is because you aren't criticizing PSVR, you are more trying to downplay it.

Nope, I'm comparing full life sales of WiiU (about 5 years) against what PS4Pro (a premium model) will sell until retirement.

More interesting is you jumping to defend Nintendo instead of even understanding the point.

It's a success if it pays over the projected ROI, and considering sony announcements it certainly have.

Have anyone claimed it have mainstream sales? Still if a product selling to 5% of userbase at 300 USD isn't good appeal most games doesn't have appeal since they sell less than that costing a lot less.

Has anyone claimed VR is mainstream? Have you read any of the VR threads on this? There is someone who has claimed the next Grand Theft Auto should be "VR Exclusive". Others refer to gaming on a television as "retro style". What does that tell you?

Those people sound just as ridiculous like you when you’re saying it’s not “there yet”. Everyone who says this after playing a round of Moss or Wipeout in VR is lying to himself.

Believe it or not, just because there are some people exaggerating and overreacting you don’t need to be the one to constantly counteract.

OTBWY said: 
Errorist76 said: 

Is OTBWY a second account of yours or why are you speaking for him? You gave me your statement already with all that came with it, your own depression and stuff. I'm not interested in hearing more about it. I accept it but don't pretend to speak for others please.

lmao, I am in no way shape or form Potato Hamster. We hardly ever share the same opinions. The funny thing is, another person defending VR to the death was someone named Habam... hmm. 

I remember this guy. He’s the one Potato is constantly complaining about even though he is acting similarly extreme. As far as I know this guy has long been banned.

Edited for formatting reasons.

Last edited by Errorist76 - on 16 August 2018

Around the Network

OTBWY said: 
DonFerrari said: 

PC install base is still larger, there are more than one device selling for it and they have been severely discounted. Still PSVR sell more than all of them combined. Sure it is a failure.

On the PC side, you are talking about rigs that costs hundreds or thousands, adding to that the way higher prices of said VR hardware. That number on PC shrinks significantly when all of that is factored in.

However, ask yourself. Is 3 million really a number that makes you say: Wow, PSVR is on fire! It is taking VR to the next level! Just an honest question.

If it’s more than twice of what the competitors have sold, it’s somewhat respectable. It’s a constant growth which ensures trust in the market, especially with an adoption rate that high for games.

I don’t get why some people here act as if it must set the world on fire at the first try. Especially since everybody knows how hard it is to market VR. People just don’t get it without trying it.

OTBWY said:
Errorist76 said:

I'm sure you're speaking from experience. Please let us know..how much experience do you have with PSVR?

Would you have 2D gaming also considered to be "not there yet" until this gen of consoles?

I got to try it out at the Sony Building in Ginza during my Japan trip. And I have a mate that has one, played it plenty times already.

The last sentence doesn't make any sense.

Oh yes it does. I’ve been gaming for 36 years. By today’s standards gaming back then was incredibly clunky, terrible sound and graphics, huge lag, bad framerates etc...Do you think gaming would’ve developed in such a way if everybody would have complained about it “being not there yet”? 

From my perspective after these 36 years today’s VR is nothing short of a miracle. Sure it will develop and there’s still a lot of room for improvement, but it’s totally legit! Finally. And I don’t understand the negative attitude some people seem to have towards it.

Flilix said: 
I know that it isn't very nice to wish for a console to fail, but I really hope that VR doesn't get much bigger than this. I wouldn't mind it staying alive as a niche product, but I don't want it to become mainstream.

This fits exactly my last sentence. Why do you act as if it was stealing something from you? It’s a new, additional way to play...not a replacement.

Flilix said:
DonFerrari said:

Why not? Being mainstream isn't the same as ending everything else.

No, but these games do cost a lot of time and money to make. Time and money that would otherwise be spent on normal games.

There are plenty of games being released I'm not one that is greed to the point to think every game should be developed for me. There are plenty genres and devs I don't look after and don't care that they don't make a product I like.

Now if Sony stopped doing SP narrative games I would be sad because there aren't many options with similar quality.

Errorist76 said:

OTBWY said: 

On the PC side, you are talking about rigs that costs hundreds or thousands, adding to that the way higher prices of said VR hardware. That number on PC shrinks significantly when all of that is factored in.

However, ask yourself. Is 3 million really a number that makes you say: Wow, PSVR is on fire! It is taking VR to the next level! Just an honest question.

If it’s more than twice of what the competitors have sold, it’s somewhat respectable. It’s a constant growth which ensures trust in the market, especially with an adoption rate that high for games.

I don’t get why some people here act as if it must set the world on fire at the first try. Especially since everybody knows how hard it is to market VR. People just don’t get it without trying it.

OTBWY said:

I got to try it out at the Sony Building in Ginza during my Japan trip. And I have a mate that has one, played it plenty times already.

The last sentence doesn't make any sense.

Oh yes it does. I’ve been gaming for 36 years. By today’s standards gaming back then was incredibly clunky, terrible sound and graphics, huge lag, bad framerates etc...Do you think gaming would’ve developed in such a way if everybody would have complained about it “being not there yet”? 

From my perspective after these 36 years today’s VR is nothing short of a miracle. Sure it will develop and there’s still a lot of room for improvement, but it’s totally legit! Finally. And I don’t understand the negative attitude some people seem to have towards it.

Flilix said: 
I know that it isn't very nice to wish for a console to fail, but I really hope that VR doesn't get much bigger than this. I wouldn't mind it staying alive as a niche product, but I don't want it to become mainstream.

This fits exactly my last sentence. Why do you act as if it was stealing something from you? It’s a new, additional way to play...not a replacement.

I have gamed for 30 years and I agree with your sentiment. The problem here is that we already achieved such a high level in game polishment and pretyness that is hard for many to enter VR on its infancy and see a drop in the visuals as a cost of everything else they are gaining.

I have dreamed with VR for like 20-25 years already (wanted so badly to buy Nintendo attempt thought at the time that it was perfect immersion) we have been spoiled. I want one day we can have just a small wire tapped to our head (or less than that) where we can game inside our brains without any constraints on controller mapping, display limitation, body motion need, etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Lafiel said:
potato_hamster said:

Just look into how the most diehard fans talk about VR on this site and get back to me. I'm not exactly exaggerating their enthusiasm for the platform, put it that way.

why would I care about "the most diehard fans" of anything, why do you? there are fanatic individuals for pretty much everything and in 99.999% of the cases that is of no consequence to the world - call it a gut feeling, but until shown otherwise I'd group VR fanaticsm with the harmless kinds

I don't see what you're trying to get at here. PSVR selling 3 million in 22 months isn't exactly great. I point this out in this thread, VR fans swoop in, call me a hater, tell me to get lost, and start attacking me and others who don't see this as a great sign either. You know, the same thing they've done in dozens of threads before this one. So, I change gears and start pointing out the hypocrisy of a group of people who dare to challenge the credibility of others regarding VR when they haven't exactly been credible about it themselves.

So why do I care? I don't. I just think it's pretty funny to watch people act like PSVR is the pinnacle of gaming as we know it today, and it's taking the industry by storm, when  that's clearly not the case.

Errorist76 said:
potato_hamster said:

Has anyone claimed VR is mainstream? Have you read any of the VR threads on this? There is someone who has claimed the next Grand Theft Auto should be "VR Exclusive". Others refer to gaming on a television as "retro style". What does that tell you?

Those people sound just as ridiculous like you when you’re saying it’s not “there yet”. Everyone who says this after playing a round of Moss or Wipeout in VR is lying to himself.

Believe it or not, just because there are some people exaggerating and overreacting you don’t need to be the one to constantly counteract.

You do realize you're one of those people who are exaggerating and overreacting, right? You literally just did it in the bolded above.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
potato_hamster said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure people choosing to buy a PS4 Pro over a Wii U says they'd rather play PS4 in 4K than play the games on Wii U they couldn't play on PS4. I wouldn't say it means that they don't like Nintendo games, just that they prefer to play Playstation games in 4K more. Is this supposed to be some kind of logical fallacy or something? You make it sound like this is a ridiculous take.

I'm not criticizing PSVR right now. That's been done plenty. This thread is about sales and what those sales mean. Why would I talk about the limitations and technical shortcomings that prevents PSVR from becoming a more mainstream success in a thread about sales? That would be derailing the thread.

What's the projected ROI for PSVR and how do you know PSVR is meeting that expectation considering Sony said PSVR growth is "lower than expected" in an investor presentation section about their current challenges.

Sony said the market growth is smaller than they expected, but they have always put that their sales have been above expectations. So yes from a business perspective it have been successful.

He wanting PSVR to be mainstream or to have a GTA VR version doesn't equate to him saying it is mainstream already. Although 3M is already outside the realm of niche. Unless again you consider most gen 6 and prior niche games.

And yes your analysis was a phallacy. If all games played on PS4 and had their PSVR version working them you could say they choose 4k over VR, but most AAA games aren't in VR so they didn't choose 4k over VR they choose games available on PS4 but not in VR over the smaller experiences in VR.

They were clearly wrong considering up until now Sony have been saying the sales have been over what they projected.

Sony hasn't said the PSVR has "exceeded their expectations" since a few months after release when they set a goal of selling a million units in the first six months, and they sold 900K in four months. It then took them another four months to sell 100K, so they actually missed their goal.

There's a difference between wanting a VR version of GTA, and saying something along the lines of "Rockstar should do the right thing and make the next Grand Theft Auto a VR exclusive". How is 3 million outside the realm of niche? Sure in terms of a particular game, but manufacturers have sold millions of racing wheels for consoles and PCs alike over the years, and no one would say that racing wheels aren't a niche market.

My analysis isn't a fallacy. The PS4 pro plays all PS4 games except they're enhanced. The PSVR plays all PS4 games (even if its only in theatre mode) and games the PS4 pro. The PS4 with a PSVR has a bigger library than the PS4 Pro without VR, not a smaller one.

I don't have any idea what you mean by your last sentence.

potato_hamster said:
Errorist76 said:

You do realize you're one of those people who are exaggerating and overreacting, right? You literally just did it in the bolded above.

He overreacts on everything. His comeback for whenever someone disagrees with is him is "you don't know what you're talking about" or "you haven't even played x game/console" or "you're lying to yourself" or "you're a fanboy/hater", in an effort to devalidate opinions that differ from his own.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

potato_hamster said:
DonFerrari said:

Sony said the market growth is smaller than they expected, but they have always put that their sales have been above expectations. So yes from a business perspective it have been successful.

He wanting PSVR to be mainstream or to have a GTA VR version doesn't equate to him saying it is mainstream already. Although 3M is already outside the realm of niche. Unless again you consider most gen 6 and prior niche games.

And yes your analysis was a phallacy. If all games played on PS4 and had their PSVR version working them you could say they choose 4k over VR, but most AAA games aren't in VR so they didn't choose 4k over VR they choose games available on PS4 but not in VR over the smaller experiences in VR.

They were clearly wrong considering up until now Sony have been saying the sales have been over what they projected.

Sony hasn't said the PSVR has "exceeded their expectations" since a few months after release when they set a goal of selling a million units in the first six months, and they sold 900K in four months. It then took them another four months to sell 100K, so they actually missed their goal.

There's a difference between wanting a VR version of GTA, and saying something along the lines of "Rockstar should do the right thing and make the next Grand Theft Auto a VR exclusive". How is 3 million outside the realm of niche? Sure in terms of a particular game, but manufacturers have sold millions of racing wheels for consoles and PCs alike over the years, and no one would say that racing wheels aren't a niche market.

My analysis isn't a fallacy. The PS4 pro plays all PS4 games except they're enhanced. The PSVR plays all PS4 games (even if its only in theatre mode) and games the PS4 pro. The PS4 with a PSVR has a bigger library than the PS4 Pro without VR, not a smaller one.

I don't have any idea what you mean by your last sentence.

I do remember when they were saying the market wasn't growing fast enough they were also saying they were selling very good.

One person wanting GTA VR is indicative of mainstream? He also wants PSPhone and PSPortable all playing the same game as PS5. You being so dismissive of PSVR is much worse than he dreaming of these scenarios.

Playing in theatre mode doesn't really enhance a game (even if I have played a lot in it) since you get much lower resolution than on PS4Pro so there wouldn't be really a benefit to expending extra money on it.

My last sentence was for someone saying he didn't want VR gaming to become mainstream as a fear of losing games because of it, not sure why it showed as answer for you as well.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

At least the Wii U can say it beat something, even if it was only a peripheral, lol

Medisti said:
At least the Wii U can say it beat something, even if it was only a peripheral, lol

Well both beat Nintendo Virtual Boy =p