By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR Sells Through 3 Million Units

Do You Own A PSVR?

Yes 18 35.29%

No 33 64.71%

Total:51
DonFerrari said:
Medisti said:
At least the Wii U can say it beat something, even if it was only a peripheral, lol

Well both beat Nintendo Virtual Boy =p

Considered on the biggest flops in video game history? As long as we can beat something, I suppose.

Around the Network

Just got a Gear VR and man, it's not as clear as i'm accustomed to expect from displays these days but damn. This has probably made me excited for the future of gaming. How much better is PSVR and Vive. If the VIVe can provide a clear image without the screen door effect then VR is good to go. For the first time I'm excited to game again for real despite the low resolution. Gear VR users give me some recommendations.
BTW I tried the short Tomb Raider Gear VR game and it blew me away. Even the "Play With Me" Horror game nearly threw me off-balance with the scares. Truly a unique experience. Now, I'm thinking of investing in better VR like PSVR or Vive.

Smartest nam evila

Current Platforms: HighendPC[rip]/PS4/PS3[rip]/Vita[rip]

Medisti said:
DonFerrari said:

Well both beat Nintendo Virtual Boy =p

Considered on the biggest flops in video game history? As long as we can beat something, I suppose.

I guess we can line some other failures with time. But I didn't want to go overboard with those crazy failures. What do we have under 3M here in VGC?

WiiU is among the best 22nd of all time and PSVR right now is 27 but who knows if they can get to 25 =~P

Not to shabby kkkkk

trixiemafia86 said:
Just got a Gear VR and man, it's not as clear as i'm accustomed to expect from displays these days but damn. This has probably made me excited for the future of gaming. How much better is PSVR and Vive. If the VIVe can provide a clear image without the screen door effect then VR is good to go. For the first time I'm excited to game again for real despite the low resolution. Gear VR users give me some recommendations.
BTW I tried the short Tomb Raider Gear VR game and it blew me away. Even the "Play With Me" Horror game nearly threw me off-balance with the scares. Truly a unique experience. Now, I'm thinking of investing in better VR like PSVR or Vive.

Well if you can, go to a Sony store and try RE7, Driveclub VR, Rush of Blood or Batman VR. They are quite good games for first outings...

Hope you enjoy your time with it or the PC versions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

OTBWY said:
HollyGamer said:

Seeing there are a lot of competitor and big company involving in developing VR tech, i don't see your point.  

As a medium, I don't think it has grown passed the same certain genres. That's not the hardware perse, but rather VR as a concept from the getgo.

OK then how much Atari and Nintendo console sold when it was introduce back then in 80's.  VR is still a niche market even on the lowest price (Samsung Gear VR) .  It will take another 2 generation product to reach a mainstream level of market share. 

DonFerrari said:
potato_hamster said:

Sony hasn't said the PSVR has "exceeded their expectations" since a few months after release when they set a goal of selling a million units in the first six months, and they sold 900K in four months. It then took them another four months to sell 100K, so they actually missed their goal.

There's a difference between wanting a VR version of GTA, and saying something along the lines of "Rockstar should do the right thing and make the next Grand Theft Auto a VR exclusive". How is 3 million outside the realm of niche? Sure in terms of a particular game, but manufacturers have sold millions of racing wheels for consoles and PCs alike over the years, and no one would say that racing wheels aren't a niche market.

My analysis isn't a fallacy. The PS4 pro plays all PS4 games except they're enhanced. The PSVR plays all PS4 games (even if its only in theatre mode) and games the PS4 pro. The PS4 with a PSVR has a bigger library than the PS4 Pro without VR, not a smaller one.

I don't have any idea what you mean by your last sentence.

I do remember when they were saying the market wasn't growing fast enough they were also saying they were selling very good.

One person wanting GTA VR is indicative of mainstream? He also wants PSPhone and PSPortable all playing the same game as PS5. You being so dismissive of PSVR is much worse than he dreaming of these scenarios.

Playing in theatre mode doesn't really enhance a game (even if I have played a lot in it) since you get much lower resolution than on PS4Pro so there wouldn't be really a benefit to expending extra money on it.

My last sentence was for someone saying he didn't want VR gaming to become mainstream as a fear of losing games because of it, not sure why it showed as answer for you as well.

Okay. Back up a second here.

I'm not dismissive of PSVR. Not even a little. It just didn't change gaming as we know it. It didn't shift the industry as many expected it to. It's not going to mark the beginning of a transition in the industry that is going to see everyone playing video games like they do in Ready Player One in the next couple decades. It's a well-made, fun, niche product. It's a decent but not great VR experience. That's all it was supposed to be, that's all it was ever going to be. That's all I ever said it was going to be It's selling fine for the well-made, fun, niche product it is. After 2 years, it simply isn't gaining traction in the industry. If anything, it's losing it. Sales are slowing down already. Sony practically ignored it at E3. There are no major, recognizable system selling titles coming out for PSVR that we know of. It's fall line up is made solely of games that no one has ever really heard of, likely wont see advertisement, and will come and go with pretty much no notice. That can't possibly be seen as a good sign.

The writings on the wall. It looks like Sony is quietly moving away from VR, or at best, sticking to a conservative holding pattern. It has certainly backed off in its aggressive push it once had for it. Coming to that conclusion doesn't make me a hater or dismissive.

All that being said, there's a mental divide between thinking the PSVR is decent little VR solution, with a decent library of games, that is doing just fine at 3 million in sales after 2 years and thinking that anyone who legitimately tries PSVR and doesn't want to buy one is lying to themselves, or that Grand Theft Auto VI should be VR exclusive. Both cannot be true at the same time.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
DonFerrari said:

I do remember when they were saying the market wasn't growing fast enough they were also saying they were selling very good.

One person wanting GTA VR is indicative of mainstream? He also wants PSPhone and PSPortable all playing the same game as PS5. You being so dismissive of PSVR is much worse than he dreaming of these scenarios.

Playing in theatre mode doesn't really enhance a game (even if I have played a lot in it) since you get much lower resolution than on PS4Pro so there wouldn't be really a benefit to expending extra money on it.

My last sentence was for someone saying he didn't want VR gaming to become mainstream as a fear of losing games because of it, not sure why it showed as answer for you as well.

Okay. Back up a second here.

I'm not dismissive of PSVR. Not even a little. It just didn't change gaming as we know it. It didn't shift the industry as many expected it to. It's not going to mark the beginning of a transition in the industry that is going to see everyone playing video games like they do in Ready Player One in the next couple decades. It's a well-made, fun, niche product. It's a decent but not great VR experience. That's all it was supposed to be, that's all it was ever going to be. That's all I ever said it was going to be It's selling fine for the well-made, fun, niche product it is. After 2 years, it simply isn't gaining traction in the industry. If anything, it's losing it. Sales are slowing down already. Sony practically ignored it at E3. There are no major, recognizable system selling titles coming out for PSVR that we know of. It's fall line up is made solely of games that no one has ever really heard of, likely wont see advertisement, and will come and go with pretty much no notice. That can't possibly be seen as a good sign.

The writings on the wall. It looks like Sony is quietly moving away from VR, or at best, sticking to a conservative holding pattern. It has certainly backed off in its aggressive push it once had for it. Coming to that conclusion doesn't make me a hater or dismissive.

All that being said, there's a mental divide between thinking the PSVR is decent little VR solution, with a decent library of games, that is doing just fine at 3 million in sales after 2 years and thinking that anyone who legitimately tries PSVR and doesn't want to buy one is lying to themselves, or that Grand Theft Auto VI should be VR exclusive. Both cannot be true at the same time.

Understood.

Yes I agree that PSVR at this moment certainly didn't shift the industry, so far it is only a viable alternative that is still growing.

To me it isn't really showing as losing traction 1M after 7.5 6 8.5 months is more like stable or depending or seasonal. Also PS4 itself is slowing down so it isn't unatural that PSVR would as well.

Also I don't really think Sony is moving away from it, they are just playing it with ok expectations and investing accordingly. And sorry to say but before this post your position on the thread had been on the dimissive side.

Nope the mental divide is people claiming it a minuscule niche failure and that 3 millions is utter crap versus VR is already the future and is doing tremendous. The decent library and experience for the first real try is just the middle ground.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Ok people. Settle down. Please keep it civil and stop being so saucy to each other. Disagree and discuss from here on out without getting personal with other members. Thank you

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

I don't know bout you guys and gals, but I can't wait for dreams, firewall zero hours and blood and truth. Psvr isn't for everyone but for those like me, it's got me excited about gaming again. It's different, unique and fun. It ain't for all.. but I appreciate Sony putting some effort behind it. I've had some good experiences.. definitely felt I got my money's worth.

Last edited by BillyBong - on 16 August 2018

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

It’s a super expensive peripheral. What sort of numbers were people looking for?

BillyBong said:

I don't know bout you guys and gals, but I can't wait for dreams, firewall zero hours and blood and truth. Psvr isn't for everyone but for those like me, it's got me excited about gaming again. It's different, unique and fun. It ain't for all.. but I appreciate Sony putting some effort behind it. I've had some good experiences.. definitely worth what I paid for it.

Dreams is the game I want to see happen and allow me to make my book into a game without much hassle.

Lawlight said:
It’s a super expensive peripheral. What sort of numbers were people looking for?

Hundred Million, over PS4, people would buy it even to use on PC with mods.