By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rage 2 dev looking into whether a Switch version would be possible

In an interview with Variety, id Software’s Tim Willits stated that the team is looking into the possibility of a Switch release. When asked about that, Willits stated:

“We’re looking at the tech on that right now, and we’re still evaluating that. We stream everything, and we’re just looking… because everything is open, everything’s available, so there’s no level loads. We are looking at that now, but we don’t know.”

Source

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)
Around the Network

But are you looking at it?

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

They stream everything?

KLAMarine said:
They stream everything?

It loads while you play so there are no loading screens.  I suppose it could lead to lag if a system can't handle that.

pokoko said:
KLAMarine said:
They stream everything?

It loads while you play so there are no loading screens.  I suppose it could lead to lag if a system can't handle that.

I see. Wonder if they'll be able to pull it off on Switch.

Thanks for the info!

Around the Network

If he's being genuine then this is a position I can respect; being open-minded about the possibility and looking into whether it can feasibly be done instead of dismissing it out of hand.

Personally it doesn't bother if it comes or not, I found Rage rather dull and have no interest in the sequel.

Shame they don't look into porting the original. Something the Switch could handle with ease.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

KLAMarine said:
pokoko said:

I see. Wonder if they'll be able to pull it off on Switch.

Thanks for the info!

The streaming aspect looks not really as a problem to me. Switch only has 4GB RAM compared to the 8GB of the competition, but that is solvable with reducing assets (lower resolution textures, lower polycount, lower viewdistance), things that have to be done probably in any case to make it runnable. Or to fit onto the cartridge, which seems to be the biggest problem so far for developers. And I think cartridge may be of similar speed as the HDD, at least I hope so, it would be a mojor fuckup of Nintendo if not. So the streaming aspect should be solvable. If they can fit the game onto the cartridge is as usual the bigger question.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

By the way: again an id game. Probably another team, but still id. So far the Bethesda-support is basically test-game (Skyrim which is on everything), mobile games and id games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

KLAMarine said:
They stream everything?

Its how the memoy system works in the game..... instead of loading a big chuck of stuff all at once, and you sit there waiting for a loading screen, instead it takes small bites constantly.

Basically their saying even though the switch doesnt have much memory, maybe its still possible because of how they load data, for the game.
I think its a optimistic view though, dont think Rage 2 is possible on the Switch. So I wouldnt get my hopes up for it.