By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft rumoured to purchase Obsidian Entertainment

Kotor is very renowed and Fallout have a good following, I would say they are nearer AAA than AA though.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Mnementh said:

I use my PC with Linux and havent had Windows since 2000 (and back then, win 2000 and 98 I only had because of games). So yes, this move hurts me.

You can still play Windows games though.
Dual-Boot, Virtualization, WINE are all tools at your disposal.

For Dual-Boot and Virtualization I still need a Windows license. I use Wine though, but not everything works with that. And buying on a guess that it might run is not usually my style.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Spike0503 said:
HoloDust said:

I guess there are quite a few around here like that. Then there are those who are MS fans, and those who are Sony fans.

And then there are actual CRPG fans, some being that for 30+ years, who don't give a toss about MS v Sony and all that crap, and who are aware that Obsidian is one of the last devs with folks from the olden golden days of CRPGs days who, at least in theory, have talent and knowledge to make proper CRPGs and not diluted mass market dreck with RPG coat of paint - so those folk don't want to see one of the last bastions of CRPGs bite the dust.

But then again, who knows - maybe MS gives them enough freedom and money - maybe they even get them license from one of the well known pen and paper RPGs and let them do their thing...time will tell.

Excellent comment. I agree 100%. I haven't been able to play their recent Isometric RPG games cause I haven't updated my PC but as a Fallout (classic)/Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale fan, I'm very excited to try them out eventually. If Obsidian gets acquired by MS I give these type of RPGs 0 chance of ever coming out again from a talented studio made of veterans like Obsidian. The genre may resurface at some point since people love to resurrect old genre games nowadays but it will be a huge blow to us CRPG fans.

Well, iso CRPGs have been in kind of renaissance for several years now (Shadowrun Returns/Hong Kong, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity 1/2, Divinity: Original Sin 1/2, The Age of Decadence, Torment: Tides of Numenera...), I think that genre is fairly healthy at this point, though if Obsidian goes under, it would definitely be blow for all the fans of both dev and genre.

If they really need to go somewhere I would much more like it to be someone like THQ Nordic, which is, it seems, on sort of a shopping spree as of late.

Last edited by HoloDust - on 16 August 2018

Azzanation said:
Azuren said:

Answers who has been asking for? Answers to what? What are you even talking about?

Because closing Rare would be the single most devastating PR move that Microsoft could make. Xbox One is already in such a dog house that it doesn't get exclusives anymore from it's parent company. The level of vitriolic hate they would get for buying an iconic studio, letting them fall into disuse, and then closing that studio would be topped only by E3 2013. Even if they never use them again, Microsoft is better off letting the studio rot than they would be burying it. They've made one game, one collection, and one distraction. The game turned out short and boring, the Collection is all old stuff, and the distraction is a joke Kinect title. They don't make plenty.

You don't get to strawman my argument three times and pretend to know what my logic would call for. You can't point to an outlier (and its pedigree does make it an outlier) and say that's proof enough. 

Not sure last time you checked, this is a buisness, and its about making money. Your anwser is just a personal attack on a company with a response that does not justify your point. You made an entire assumption about your whole reason.

You claim MS closes studios down and i anwsered that Rare is still around, one of the oldest brands going around and there still making games in 2018 with no signs of stopping. MS dont need Rare to make Rare games hence KI.

My point to you is if MS can hold onto Rare, (a company probably not profiting that well under MS) than its possible for any brand especially brands like Obsidian. If its a PR disaster for closing Rare down then same can be said about Obsidian. You anwsered your own question.

Dont use Pedigree as an excuse, Lion Head and Ensemble Studios had pedigree.

My answer was a factual reason why someone might be upset. The fact that you got defensive about it instead of saying, "I never thought about that, I don't consider it much of a detriment myself" pretty much ended the entire conversation before it started.

Rare being around doesn't mean closures didn't happen. You can make a big deal over it, but it's clearly an outlier and only a fool would continue to entertain the idea that it isn't.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azuren said:

My answer was a factual reason why someone might be upset. The fact that you got defensive about it instead of saying, "I never thought about that, I don't consider it much of a detriment myself" pretty much ended the entire conversation before it started.

Rare being around doesn't mean closures didn't happen. You can make a big deal over it, but it's clearly an outlier and only a fool would continue to entertain the idea that it isn't.

Majority I see complaining about this buy out are simply not MS fans to begin with, in other words its no loss to MS because those so called complainers are not MS customers. What you are saying is still an assumption and means nothing to this thread and ill tell you why. Obsidian has more of a chance of shutting there own doors than MS closing them down after the purchase. Buying a Studio has a lot more benefits than being independent. They can get a budget and a source of cash flow, they can be monitored and given jobs instead of waiting on kickstarter or games to be green lighted, and they will have access to company equipment and engines like Azure Cloud, and also add Job and IP security. Obsidian is no threat to MS in any way which means this buy out is entirely focused on them making games for MS platforms.

Rare is living proof that MS can hold onto companies. MS wont close them down unless Obsidian really screw up and in which case, no one would probably care anymore. That's basically what happened to all the other closures. Except for Ensemble Studios which some of the employees were absorbed into MS.

You said they wont close Rare due to there pedigree and PR strategy so if what you are saying is factual than Obsidian having a good pedigree than there's nothing to worry about.  

Last edited by Azzanation - on 16 August 2018

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Azuren said:

Majority I see complaining about this buy out are simply not MS fans to begin with, in other words its no loss to MS because those so called complainers are not MS customers. What you are saying is still an assumption and means nothing to this thread and ill tell you why. Obsidian has more of a chance of shutting there own doors than MS closing them down after the purchase. Buying a Studio has a lot more benefits than being independent. They can get a budget and a source of cash flow, they can be monitored and given jobs instead of waiting on kickstarter or games to be green lighted, and they will have access to company equipment and engines like Azure Cloud, and also add Job and IP security. Obsidian is no threat to MS in any way which means this buy out is entirely focused on them making games for MS platforms.

Rare is living proof that MS can hold onto companies. MS wont close them down unless Obsidian really screw up and in which case, no one would probably care anymore. That's basically what happened to all the other closures. Except for Ensemble Studios which some of the employees were absorbed into MS.

You said they wont close Rare due to there pedigree and PR strategy so if what you are saying is factual than Obsidian having a good pedigree than there's nothing to worry about.  

Yes we are totally sure Lionhead decided to screw up big time to get closed and that Platinum suddenly became a bad developer so Scalebound was a no go. MS never interferes with creative process nor closes studios that could be improved or be free to make good games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Azzanation said:

Azuren said:

I point out that what I said was factual and you go on a defensive rant that only further cements it. Thanks for saving me the effort of tearing your argument down.

And again: Rare is an outlier. Winning the lottery isn't evidence that everyone who plays the lottery wins.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Seems that to Azzanation all the studios closed by MS was due to those studios being bad and MS trying to help them out, everygame cancelled the same. There isn't any possibility of MS having forced decisions on the devs and meddling around. MS never makes mistakes even when they supposedly gives too much freedom and try to help those studios out of their blunders.

Azzanation said:

Chazore said:

mmn, I'm sure it does, and those that simply aren't interested or those that just don't buy from MS fall under that rule, which should be, ooh I dunno, a few billion out there...

No, you're fixated on MS being a part of everything and everything being a part of MS. You don't seem to understand what a company does and has done in the past, but you are far, far more willing to look past any and all evidence just to spite someone who doesn't share your viewpoint.

I don't buy their games, that's been made evident by me buying games on Steam, Battle.net and GoG. I actually do have other games, but do not once mistake me having other games for me not wanting to criticize a company nor wanting my games I want to play being bought up as something I wouldn't talk about, because I absolutely will talk about those instances when a buyout arises.

Also, I've bought Obsidian games, so don't even dare act as if they are already owned by MS, let alone credited for "designing" said existing IP's, because I know that's how you are viewing them right now. I'd love to see Obsidian making good games for everyone else to play, not just on Xbox and definitely not locked behind the objectively crappy Win 10 storefront either. Hah, Steam, I know you'd prefer MS being behind the budget any day, so leave that "I care equally for both" behind the door. 

It's a store not the store, and in it's current form, it is still nowhere near on the scale or level of features that Steam and the other clients have. I don't have to pretend anything, but maybe you should stop pretending that the WIn 10 store is perfect or above what Steam and others offer. 

The EEE strategy applies to their way of life as a whole. Why make deals with the competition when you can "embrace it", followed by "extending towards claiming it", followed by "extinguishing them" (which others have actually pointed out within this very thread). DO not tell me for a moment that they have dropped a strategy made famous, that actually works, for something else entirely, because so far, it's been in effect for so many years. 

"guess you'll have to avoid Obsidian", yeah, I'll be supporting someone who hasn't sold their soul to a corp like MS, and guess what?, they'll be better off for getting support from someone else than MS. 

I think you take being challenged very personally, especially when it's in the name of MS. Not once have you dropped your guard against anyone and you absolutely refuse any and fall fault within your logic. I think you really need to get a good long hard look at yourself mate. 

Don't waste your time on your major paragraph stories. We all get what your saying, you hate MS and want nothing to do with MS. No one in here is trying to convince you to like them. Business is business and this thread is about a rumoured business decision. Weather it suits you or not. No need to throw personal attacks and aggression over something we all have no control over.

Its clear to me that you prefer to play the brands and not the games which you quite obviously stated. Don't let me change your mind, I couldn't care less. As for this thread, lets stay on topic shall we, this is about a rumour of MS continuing to bolster there Gaming studios not about some EEE Strategy and closing down studios. That can be another thread for another day.

Yep he likes to play brands (play on PC which isn't a brand by itself), there have been 4 or 5 threads already that we have been waiting you to show your PS gamertag with all the Sony games you played since you don't care about brand.

I think I'd cry if they bought them. It's hard to think of a world where they might end up like Lionhead Studios. That's a grim thought.