By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft rumoured to purchase Obsidian Entertainment

Chazore said:

mmn, I'm sure it does, and those that simply aren't interested or those that just don't buy from MS fall under that rule, which should be, ooh I dunno, a few billion out there...

No, you're fixated on MS being a part of everything and everything being a part of MS. You don't seem to understand what a company does and has done in the past, but you are far, far more willing to look past any and all evidence just to spite someone who doesn't share your viewpoint.

I don't buy their games, that's been made evident by me buying games on Steam, Battle.net and GoG. I actually do have other games, but do not once mistake me having other games for me not wanting to criticize a company nor wanting my games I want to play being bought up as something I wouldn't talk about, because I absolutely will talk about those instances when a buyout arises.

Also, I've bought Obsidian games, so don't even dare act as if they are already owned by MS, let alone credited for "designing" said existing IP's, because I know that's how you are viewing them right now. I'd love to see Obsidian making good games for everyone else to play, not just on Xbox and definitely not locked behind the objectively crappy Win 10 storefront either. Hah, Steam, I know you'd prefer MS being behind the budget any day, so leave that "I care equally for both" behind the door. 

It's a store not the store, and in it's current form, it is still nowhere near on the scale or level of features that Steam and the other clients have. I don't have to pretend anything, but maybe you should stop pretending that the WIn 10 store is perfect or above what Steam and others offer. 

The EEE strategy applies to their way of life as a whole. Why make deals with the competition when you can "embrace it", followed by "extending towards claiming it", followed by "extinguishing them" (which others have actually pointed out within this very thread). DO not tell me for a moment that they have dropped a strategy made famous, that actually works, for something else entirely, because so far, it's been in effect for so many years. 

"guess you'll have to avoid Obsidian", yeah, I'll be supporting someone who hasn't sold their soul to a corp like MS, and guess what?, they'll be better off for getting support from someone else than MS. 

I think you take being challenged very personally, especially when it's in the name of MS. Not once have you dropped your guard against anyone and you absolutely refuse any and fall fault within your logic. I think you really need to get a good long hard look at yourself mate. 

Don't waste your time on your major paragraph stories. We all get what your saying, you hate MS and want nothing to do with MS. No one in here is trying to convince you to like them. Business is business and this thread is about a rumoured business decision. Weather it suits you or not. No need to throw personal attacks and aggression over something we all have no control over.

Its clear to me that you prefer to play the brands and not the games which you quite obviously stated. Don't let me change your mind, I couldn't care less. As for this thread, lets stay on topic shall we, this is about a rumour of MS continuing to bolster there Gaming studios not about some EEE Strategy and closing down studios. That can be another thread for another day.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Azuren said:

I never defined it. I pointed out that MS has a tendency to close the studios they purchase. You're the one that assigned an agenda to it.

How exactly aren't you defending them? "MS only closes studios because reasons!" Pretty defensive in favor of MS to me.

Your logic applies to all companies, I don't see how this is just a MS business method. Rare is still around, so how does that prove your point? How does this thread even relate to closing down a new studio? Closing down studios is far from what this topic is about. Maybe someone should create a thread about MS and there Tendencies in closing studios. Because what you are saying is off topic.

This conversation doesn't, however.

Again, you're injecting a narrative into my words that wasn't implied. I'm not your strawman.

Did you really use the most criminally under-utilized studio in gaming to justify MS purchasing game studios?

It doesn't, someone expressed distress at the idea of MS purchasing a studio and you asked why someone would be distressed by it. So no, it isn't off topic, it just distresses you.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Azzanation said:

Don't waste your time on your major paragraph stories. We all get what your saying, you hate MS and want nothing to do with MS. No one in here is trying to convince you to like them. Business is business and this thread is about a rumoured business decision. Weather it suits you or not. No need to throw personal attacks and aggression over something we all have no control over.

Its clear to me that you prefer to play the brands and not the games which you quite obviously stated. Don't let me change your mind, I couldn't care less. As for this thread, lets stay on topic shall we, this is about a rumour of MS continuing to bolster there Gaming studios not about some EEE Strategy and closing down studios. That can be another thread for another day.

"we all get what you're saying"

Oh please, stop trying to act like you have a crowd at your side, it's literally just you and others calling you out/challenging your defenses. 

I could easily swap that around, but I already know you're well ahead of that game already, so I'll let you do that yourself with "You hate MS and want nothing to do with MS". 

I don't care if it's related or not, a business decision let alone a rumor can be challenged and the company called out for it's past experiences.,Do not tell me or backseat moderate on what I can/cannot say about the company's decision on this rumor. I also like how anything that goes against MS can be defined under "personal attack", because again, it suits your defense style, and even Azuren has called you out on your defense. 

Ahhh, playing the "you like it this way, so I'll make you play this way" gig, that isn't going to work on me mate. I play the games I like to play, but I take into account how shitty the services can be, rather than putting on some corporate blindfold and going "yup everything okay, as long as I get to play the game, everything is totally fine". 

No mate, I like playing games I want to play, but don't sell me that childish bullshit of "oh you like the games, go buy them from MS". Just don't try to, because I know what that counts as, but due to forum rules I can't say that type of comment, but I know what it is.

I don'#t need you to change my mind, I never have. When have I ever asked for your opinion on anything gaming related, let alone MS?. When Have I wanted you to convince me to your warped way of thinking?, I've got all day for that response and you damn well better not shy away from giving me said answer. You do however, care enough to warrant a defence of MS at every single turn though, so there is definitely that to consider. 

No, the thread can be on topic, because most of us have been talking about the possibility of them being bought out, with mine pointing to it not being a good decision. Again, trying to wrap what I can and cannot say can count as backseat moderation, and I would not go there if I were you.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Azuren said:

Again, you're injecting a narrative into my words that wasn't implied. I'm not your strawman.

Did you really use the most criminally under-utilized studio in gaming to justify MS purchasing game studios?

It doesn't, someone expressed distress at the idea of MS purchasing a studio and you asked why someone would be distressed by it. So no, it isn't off topic, it just distresses you.

And many answered in here about that theory. This is not just exclusive to MS, its a standard business practise. I even gave you a studio that still sits under the MS banner with its doors still opened. And its one of the oldest as well. You never answered that instead you just gave a standard none answered response. If you are going to bring up MS closing studios theory than explain Rare? If not than shall we get back on topic because I am not interested in turning this thread in a direction it doesn't need to go.

Chazore said:

"we all get what you're saying"

Oh please, stop trying to act like you have a crowd at your side, it's literally just you and others calling you out/challenging your defenses. 

I could easily swap that around, but I already know you're well ahead of that game already, so I'll let you do that yourself with "You hate MS and want nothing to do with MS". 

I don't care if it's related or not, a business decision let alone a rumor can be challenged and the company called out for it's past experiences.,Do not tell me or backseat moderate on what I can/cannot say about the company's decision on this rumor. I also like how anything that goes against MS can be defined under "personal attack", because again, it suits your defense style, and even Azuren has called you out on your defense. 

Ahhh, playing the "you like it this way, so I'll make you play this way" gig, that isn't going to work on me mate. I play the games I like to play, but I take into account how shitty the services can be, rather than putting on some corporate blindfold and going "yup everything okay, as long as I get to play the game, everything is totally fine". 

No mate, I like playing games I want to play, but don't sell me that childish bullshit of "oh you like the games, go buy them from MS". Just don't try to, because I know what that counts as, but due to forum rules I can't say that type of comment, but I know what it is.

I don'#t need you to change my mind, I never have. When have I ever asked for your opinion on anything gaming related, let alone MS?. When Have I wanted you to convince me to your warped way of thinking?, I've got all day for that response and you damn well better not shy away from giving me said answer. You do however, care enough to warrant a defence of MS at every single turn though, so there is definitely that to consider. 

No, the thread can be on topic, because most of us have been talking about the possibility of them being bought out, with mine pointing to it not being a good decision. Again, trying to wrap what I can and cannot say can count as backseat moderation, and I would not go there if I were you.

What are you challenging though? Can you link us sources to what you are claiming? How does buying a new studio = anything you are saying? Companies buy other companies out normally for the long term not the short term. So you are safe, Obsidian will probably have there life expectancies extended not shortened if brought out.

You don't need me to call you out that you hate anything MS related, its quite obvious in your posts. Again that's a "You Problem."

And you just admitted you rather play the brands than the games. It couldn't be any clearer. Because you choose services and brands behind the games over the games themselves. That says a lot about your posts in here.

I am also use to the usual few throwing stones. This is nothing new for me. I know who they all are and there preferences and there the only ones debating or disappointed at the topic. Funny that.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

Azuren said:

And many answered in here about that theory. This is not just exclusive to MS, its a standard business practise. I even gave you a studio that still sits under the MS banner with its doors still opened. And its one of the oldest as well. You never answered that instead you just gave a standard none answered response. If you are going to bring up MS closing studios theory than explain Rare? If not than shall we get back on topic because I am not interested in turning this thread in a direction it doesn't need to go.

"Everyone does it!"

And I would be worried if Sony bought a studio that wasn't already 20,000 leagues up Sony's ass, but holy shit, does your thread title say "Microsoft"?

Pointing to Rare as a studio that is still open is a joke. If I have to explain why then you need to get that toad off of your avatar. Sitting on a golden franchise for 16 years only to let a third party studio develop the "return" is ludicrous.

And you're the one taking it off topic by consistently strawmanning others' points and making claims that people you don't agree with are off topic.

Last edited by Azuren - on 13 August 2018

Azzanation said:

What are you challenging though? Can you link us sources to what you are claiming? How does buying a new studio = anything you are saying? Companies buy other companies out normally for the long term not the short term. So you are safe, Obsidian will probably have there life expectancies extended not shortened if brought out.

You don't need me to call you out that you hate anything MS related, its quite obvious in your posts. Again that's a "You Problem."

And you just admitted you rather play the brands than the games. It couldn't be any clearer. Because you choose services and brands behind the games over the games themselves. That says a lot about your posts in here.

I am also use to the usual few throwing stones. This is nothing new for me. I know who they all are and there preferences and there the only ones debating or disappointed at the topic. Funny that.

Your general comments towards an Obsidian buyout and it being a bad decision for gamers in general, as well as the studio itself.

Actually you do not even know that for sure if they were bought out. We've seen MS close studios before like others have done so as well, so no, it's not a guaranteed cock sure "yes they are going to live forever" outcome, but again, you pulled this last time we had a debate and remained cock sure that something is"definitely" going to happen, we are most definitely not going down that road again.

I don't need you doing anything on my part, but It's cute you like to call it "calling out teh hate". It's not just my problem, it's everyone's problem in case you haven't already noticed. I've seen it becoming a problem for thousands if not millions of others when NT were bought out and their announcement made. 

Nah I didn't, that's you trying to fulfill some stupid prophecy so you can dismantle whatever I have to say. I knew this because if I said "I play the games I like", you'd checkmate me with "oh so you'll support MS on win 10 then ". I'm not daft and I wasn't born yesterday. I know how this works and it's not going to work here. Also, now you're getting very personal here with your counter jump back at me, very telling indeed and also off topic.

Funny how you throw stones wehn it suits you, then hide behind the rock when it hails.

The buyout wouldn't be good for gamers, it would be only good for MS and MS fans and nothing more. Those like me who love Obsidian would be forced into supporting or buying from a storefront/device we have no plans on using/buying from, so yes, that does pose a significant problem to think on and discuss.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

I've been critical of MS first party all gen, like many others, so its surprising to see backlash for this impending rumor.

PotentHerbs said:
I've been critical of MS first party all gen, like many others, so its surprising to see backlash for this impending rumor.

Yeah. I find it odd and rather contradictory.
Many people who are against this move have also been some very vocal users who have been against Microsoft's lack of 1st party content.

It's kinda' their own fault.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
PotentHerbs said:

Yeah. I find it odd and rather contradictory.
Many people who are against this move have also been some very vocal users who have been against Microsoft's lack of 1st party content.

It's kinda' their own fault.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'd like to go on record as having only pointed out the trend of MS closing studios they've purchased. If Obsidian were to make a true Xbox exclusive, idI be happy to finally be given a reason to purchase an Xbox One.