By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

only conclusion i came to for the answer to the thread title is ''because people are buying them''.

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
Soundwave said:

A million+ confirmed or probably close:

Octopath Traveller
Bomberman R
Rocket League
Minecraft

500k-750k most likey:

Skyrim
FIFA
Hollow Knight

Relative to what third parties have put out for the system, I'd say that's pretty good. If GTAV or COD were out, they would be 1+ million sellers no problem (probably 2-3+ mill for GTAV). Final Fantasy XV if ported even with downgraded graphics but some new content would sell 1-1.5 million copies. There's room for third parties to make some money here.

Games like Skyrim and Fifa are also around 1m not around 500-700k, I mean even VGC have them around 0.95m without digital sales.

Number of games with 500k-1m range is far bigger, for instance 8 months ago Bandai Namco reported that Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 passed 500k on Switch, surprising Steam sales in that moment.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 14 August 2018

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Well if its so clear just restate it, what is your definition of selling well?

So what is it? Youre too busy to restate it but have plenty of time to reply saying nothing?

-snip-

I have no interest in keeping this conversation going over such nonsense. Get some one else to hold your hand through conversations if you can't follow along.

If you don't like the conversation, and wish to drop it, just drop it. You don't need to give him another nudge before you leave the room. 

If for whatever reason you guys feel you're talking past each other, then just leave it be. This back and forth has gone on long enough, and doesn't need to escalate further. That means you too zorg. 

Soundwave said:

Octopath Traveller
Bomberman R
Rocket League
Minecraft

500k-750k most likey:

Skyrim
FIFA
Hollow Knight

Relative to what third parties have put out for the system, I'd say that's pretty good. If GTAV or COD were out, they would be 1+ million sellers no problem (probably 2-3+ mill for GTAV). Final Fantasy XV if ported even with downgraded graphics but some new content would sell 1-1.5 million copies. There's room for third parties to make some money here.

Some money. They don't want *some* money, they want it all. GTAV NSW sales would probably not be noticed by 2K/Rockstar. If it's a 32 GB cart, it'll make about 21 million total, with 100% sell-though, but before development costs and ads, etc. are paid for.  If it's a 16 GB cart, it'll make more (ballpark: 30 million)

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos

Angelus said:
potato_hamster said:

-snip-

I have no interest in keeping this conversation going over such nonsense. Get some one else to hold your hand through conversations if you can't follow along.

If you don't like the conversation, and wish to drop it, just drop it. You don't need to give him another nudge before you leave the room. 

If for whatever reason you guys feel you're talking past each other, then just leave it be. This back and forth has gone on long enough, and doesn't need to escalate further. That means you too zorg. 

Im not gonna say im completely innocent but things wouldnt escalate if he wasnt condescending or throwing insults at almost everybody he responded to in this thread.

Hes told multiple people they have low standards, lack reading comprehension, use mental gymnastics, need to have their hands held just in this thread.

This probably isnt the right place for this but i dont gey why Alki was moderated when Potato's behavior has been just as bad or worse.

User warned by ~ PwerlvlAmy 

Last edited by PwerlvlAmy - on 14 August 2018

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
MajorMalfunction said:
Soundwave said:

Octopath Traveller
Bomberman R
Rocket League
Minecraft

500k-750k most likey:

Skyrim
FIFA
Hollow Knight

Some money. They don't want *some* money, they want it all. GTAV NSW sales would probably not be noticed by 2K/Rockstar. If it's a 32 GB cart, it'll make about 21 million total, with 100% sell-though, but before development costs and ads, etc. are paid for.  If it's a 16 GB cart, it'll make more (ballpark: 30 million)

GTAV would definatly made quite a profit on Switch, game would easily sell 3m+ at least, good chanches are even for 5m+, it would probably become best selling 3rd party game even on Switch, and those numbers (so 3m+ at least) would make huge profit for 2K/Rockstar we talking about port of existing game, so development costs would be only few millions, and for full priced $60 game they would make at least around $20 pure profit per game whithout online, so they would easily make at least $50-100m profit. And for info, no, 32GB Switch carts dont cost $20 to devs, they are less than $10.

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

I'm making things up? On what grounds?

"kid/family titles and ok indie support" that results in more third party game sales over the previous year is still an increase in third party support.
"indies and small-medium japanese titles" that results in more third party game sales over the previous year is still an increase in third party support.

Let's not forget that the world's biggest publisher, Activision/Blizzard has put out a total of two Switch games. EA, the second biggest publisher, will have put out its third Switch game when FIFA 19 comes out. Both of those companies supported the WIi U and Vita better in their first two years. In fact Activision/Blizzard put out 15 Wii U games it first two years, and EA put out six Vita games in its first two years.

You're just shifting the goalposts now so that "increase in third party support" only applies to the kind of games the Switch is getting.

I'd like to see a list of those Activision and EA games for Wii U and Vita, plus a split into year 1 and 2.

Hmm, this seems like a challenge for me, especially since this site has a GameDB.

So, Activision put out apparently 20 WiiU-games (I ignore the two, that have no Boxart and no sales associated). Five in 2012 (007 Legends, Call of Duty Black Ops, Skylanders Giants, Transformers: Prime and WipeOut 3). Six in 2013 (Spiderman, Walking Dead, SpongeBox, Skylanders Swap Force, Angry Birds Star Wars, Call of Duty Ghosts). Five in 2014 (Big game Hunter, Spiderman, Transformer: Dark Spark, Skylanders Trap Team, The Voice). Three in 2015 (Skylanders: SuperChargers, Guitar Hero, Peanuts Movie). And finally one in 2016 (Skylanders: Imaginators). Overall very Skylanderish.

I find four EA-games for WiiU, searching for Electronic Arts and EA Sports separately with different results. Three in 2012 (FIFA, Madden, Mass Effect) and one in 2013 (Need for Speed).

For Vita I find four Activision games. Call of Duty in 2012, Angry Birds and Spiderman in 2013 and SpongeBox in 2015.

EA had for Vita six games that I find. Need for Speed, Madden and two (???) FIFAs in 2012, and then a FIFA in 2013 and 2014.

So in conclusion: Vita had basically every year FIFA, something which also happens for Switch it seems. Activision did actually support the WiiU quite well. So far Switch doesn't seem up to par, but Skylanders seem no longer be a yearly IP, which made a lot of the WiiU support.

Last edited by Mnementh - on 15 August 2018

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
RolStoppable said:

I'd like to see a list of those Activision and EA games for Wii U and Vita, plus a split into year 1 and 2.

Hmm, this seems like a challenge for me, especially since this site has a GameDB.

So, Activision put out apparently 20 WiiU-games (I ignore the two, that have no Boxart and no sales associated). Five in 2012 (007 Legends, Call of Duty Black Ops, Skylanders Giants, Transformers: Prime and WipeOut 3). Six in 2013 (Spiderman, Walking Dead, SpongeBox, Skylanders Swap Force, Angry Birds Star Wars, Call of Duty Ghosts). Five in 2014 (Big game Hunter, Spiderman, Transformer: Dark Spark, Skylanders Trap Team, The Voice). Three in 2015 (Skylanders: SuperChargers, Guitar Hero, Peanuts Movie). And finally one in 2016 (Skylanders: Imaginators). Overall very Skylanderish.

I find four EA-games for WiiU, searching for Electronic Arts and EA Sports separately with different results. Three in 2012 (FIFA, Madden, Mass Effect) and one in 2013 (Need for Speed).

For Vita I find four Activision games. Call of Duty in 2012, Angry Birds and Spiderman in 2013 and SpongeBox in 2015.

EA had for Vita six games that I find. Need for Speed, Madden and two (???) FIFAs in 2012, and then a FIFA in 2013 and 2014.

So in conclusion: Vita had basically every year FIFA, something which also happens for Switch it seems. Activision did actually support the WiiU quite well. So far Switch doesn't seem up to par, but Skylanders seem no longer be a yearly IP, which made a lot of the WiiU support.

Activision output in general has dropped significantly in the last couple years.

Crash N. Sane Trilogy

Destiny 2

Call of Duty: WWII

Spyro Reignited Trilogy

Destiny 2: The Forsaken

Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Because there's actual good 3rd party games on a Nintendo system for a change. And not just lovelessly on the market thrown shovelware titles like 3rd parties did on previous Nintendo systems.

Miyamotoo said:
MajorMalfunction said:

GTAV would definatly made quite a profit on Switch, game would easily sell 3m+ at least, good chanches are even for 5m+, it would probably become best selling 3rd party game even on Switch, and those numbers (so 3m+ at least) would make huge profit for 2K/Rockstar we talking about port of existing game, so development costs would be only few millions, and for full priced $60 game they would make at least around $20 pure profit per game whithout online, so they would easily make at least $50-100m profit. And for info, no, 32GB Switch carts dont cost $20 to devs, they are less than $10.

Source? I want to believe you, but I need information. 

Currently (Re-)Playing: Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void Multiplayer, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Currently Watching: The Shield, Stein's;Gate, Narcos