By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

The difference in your comparison is that 3rd party support was great from the beginning for PS4, so if that was its 2nd year support than it would mean most games didnt do too well.

Switch on the other hand had a whopping 17 retail games from March-June of last year, it had about 4 times as many in the same time frame this year.

Context is key, most third parties who have released Switch games are continuing to support it while more and more are announcing games for it. This is a sign that overall 3rd party games are doing well, ill repeat well not great, amazing, spectacular, etc.

Personally I think context is less important than you're making it out to be. There's a difference between "good third party support" and "good third party support for a Nintendo console", I think you're more focused on the "for a Nintendo console" part, whereas I'm putting them all on the same playing field.

Honestly, when it all boils down to it, I think the only thing separating us is how we're defining "well".

Then how about actually stating your definition of well?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
I think some people need to look up the meaning of well. It means good, not great/amazing/outstanding/wonderful/mind blowing/etc.

If 3rd party sales in general were not good we would not be seeing a diverse lineup of games from all sorts of developers/publishers releasing for Switch. It would be like Wii U which after the first year mostly just got kid/family titles from major publishers along with ok indie support.

Hmm... Switch is getting a lot of indie support but the big AAA games are still sparse on the system.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Personally I think context is less important than you're making it out to be. There's a difference between "good third party support" and "good third party support for a Nintendo console", I think you're more focused on the "for a Nintendo console" part, whereas I'm putting them all on the same playing field.

Honestly, when it all boils down to it, I think the only thing separating us is how we're defining "well".

I've made that very clear multiple times in this thread.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

No you havent.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

A million+ confirmed or probably close:

Octopath Traveller
Bomberman R
Rocket League
Minecraft

500k-750k most likey:

Skyrim
FIFA
Hollow Knight

Relative to what third parties have put out for the system, I'd say that's pretty good. If GTAV or COD were out, they would be 1+ million sellers no problem (probably 2-3+ mill for GTAV). Final Fantasy XV if ported even with downgraded graphics but some new content would sell 1-1.5 million copies. There's room for third parties to make some money here.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 14 August 2018

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

No you havent.

Asserting something doesn't make it true.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

No you havent.

I went through every post of yours in this thread and you never once stated what your definition of selling well is.

All you have done is talk about how people have set the bar low, mocked Rols reading comprehension and made false claims about Vita/Wii U support growing as time went on.

You havent actually stated any of your own opinions on the matter which makes me believe Rols analysis was correct, you just like to argue for the sake of argument.

zorg1000 said:

potato_hamster said:

I went through every post of yours in this thread and you never once stated what your definition of selling well is.

All you have done is talk about how people have set the bar low, mocked Rols reading comprehension and made false claims about Vita/Wii U support growing as time went on.

You havent actually stated any of your own opinions on the matter which makes me believe Rols analysis was correct, you just like to argue for the sake of argument.

I don't know what else to tell you. It's written clear as day. Multiple times. In multiple ways. If you can't figure that out, it's on you.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

I don't know what else to tell you. It's written clear as day. Multiple times. In multiple ways. If you can't figure that out, it's on you.

Well if its so clear just restate it, what is your definition of selling well?

So what is it? Youre too busy to restate it but have plenty of time to reply saying nothing?

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Well if its so clear just restate it, what is your definition of selling well?

So what is it? Youre too busy to restate it but have plenty of time to reply saying nothing?

I have no interest in keeping this conversation going over such nonsense. Get some one else to hold your hand through conversations if you can't follow along.