By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

zorg1000 said:
RolStoppable said:

Alright. So it really was yet another case of you arguing for the sake of arguing without actually believing in the things you put forward.

Would you disagree if I said that the reason for your actions in this thread is that you despise Nintendo fans, and more specifically, Nintendo fans being right?

I also think its kind of funny he wont respond to any posts that actually prove his statements wrong.

Which ones? I'll happily respond to coherent arguments I haven't already addressed.

Around the Network
Train wreck said:

When talking about output from the top publishers (Activation, EA, Take Two, Deep Silver, Ubisoft, WB, Square Enix, Namco Bandi, Capcom, Sega, Konami) the Switch's 3rd party output has been sparse and pales in comparisons to the N64, Gamecube, Wii, 3DS DS and GBA so far.

If you just focus on indies then you can make the case, but you can also make the case for the Vita as well.

Let's see shall we: 

Ubisoft: 

- South Park: The Fractured But Whole

- South Park: The Stick of Truth

- Rayman Legends: Definitive Edition

- Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (+ DLC expansion)

- Child of Light (not yet released)

- Valiant Hearts (not yet released)

- Starlink: Battle for Atlas (not yet released, but includes exclusive content the other platforms don't have)

- Just Dance: 2018 & 2019

- Monopoly & Uno

Square Enix: 

- Octopath Traveler

- Dragon Quest Builders

- Dragon Quest Builders 2 (not yet released)

- Dragon Quest 11 (not yet released)

- Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2

- The World Ends With You: Final Remix (not yet released)

- I Am Setsuna

- Lost Sphear

And we recently heard they set up a new Nintendo Switch division: 

https://www.pocketgamer.biz/asia/news/68281/square-enix-sets-up-new-nintendo-switch-games-division/

Bandai Namco:

- Dragonball FighterZ (not yet released)

- Dragonball Xenoverse 2

- Dark Souls Remastered (not yet released)

- Little Nightmares

- Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

- Pokken Tournament Deluxe

- Tales of Vesperia Remastered (not yet released) 

- Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum n' Fun (not yet released outside of Japan)

- Namco Museum

- Namco Museum Arcade Pac (not yet released)

- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Trilogy

- One Piece: Unlimited World Red Deluxe Edition

- My Hero One's Justice 

Sega: 

- Sonic Mania & Sonic Mania Plus

- Sonic Forces

- Valkyria Chronicles 4 (not yet released outside of Japan)

- Valkyria Chronicles 1

- Team Sonic Races (not yet released)

- Puyo Puyo Tetris

- SEGA AGES classic titles

- Shining Resonance Refrain

- Football Manager 2018

-----------------------------------------------

Etc.

Feel free to show me that amazing third party support on the N64, Wii, DS & 3DS in their first year and a half on the market. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

So now you're just going to misrepresent what I wrote and treat is as fact, and then completely characterize me to boot.

Learn to Read, Rol.

Remember, this whole thing started because you weren't mature enough to back up your claims when I asked you to do so. You have refused and denied all requests to back up your arguments. This discussion could have been a lot better if you had cooperated, but you had no interest in doing so right from the outset.

By the way, today I had misremembered what you wrote yesterday. You spoke of six Vita games from EA, not Wii U games. The four Wii U games from EA I mentioned today were actually all Wii U games from EA, so your claim that EA supported the Wii U better in its first two years than Switch is even more wrong than I thought before. Continued support is without a question better support than support that ends after half a year.

Nope. I made plenty of comments before you came along. You don't get to decide when things start. I have no interest in engaging with your nonsense, and submitting to your narcissistic requests. You don't deserve special treatment, and I won't give it to you.  If you don't like engaging with me, just choose not to do it. I cannot stress enough how little I care about your opinion.

Keep embarrassing yourself by displaying your poor reading comprehension skills. I still don't care.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

I also think its kind of funny he wont respond to any posts that actually prove his statements wrong.

Which ones? I'll happily respond to coherent arguments I haven't already addressed.

Earlier you said Wii U support increased in year 2, here are the number of retail games released in just over 2 years.

2012-37 (launched in late November)

2013-48 (85 in first ~13 months)

2014-31

Wii U had more 3rd party games in 2012/2013 (just over a year) than it did from 2014-2017.

Compare that to Switch

2017-76 (launched in March)

2018-82 (6 months so far, 53 in just the last quarter)

Wii U support was best in the first 13 months and dropped significantly after that. Switch had more games in just last quarter than Wii U did in any single year.

What you said earlier was 100% incorrect.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Or maybe this is a better comparison, first 13 months & after 13 months

Wii U
First 13 months-85
After 13 months-81 (over 3 years)

Switch
First 13 months-105
After 13 months-53 (only 3 months)

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Earlier you said Wii U support increased in year 2, here are the number of retail games released in just over 2 years.

2014-31

Wii U had more 3rd party games in 2012/2013 (just over a year) than it did from 2014-2017.

Compare that to Switch

Wii U support was best in the first 13 months and dropped significantly after that. Switch had more games in just last quarter than Wii U did in any single year.

Well that's the problem. These numbers don't line up with things like Wikipedia. They have 122 retail third party games listed between release and April 2014 in North America alone. You have 116 total retail. Counting Japanese those numbers increase. Breaking down by fiscal years shows more between April 13-Mar 14 than launch to Mar 13, according to the source I'm using, and that's assuming Wikipedias list are complete. Maybe you're using a better source than me, but that's what I have.

As for switch, I haven't looked the numbers up, because they're not pertinent to whether the Wii U sold more in year 2 than year 1. But to be honest, I know those numbers contain dozens of these sub-$15 indie games. If you want to, that's fine, but again, that's a very very low bar. You can call it shifting the goalposts all you want, but if you need to lump in these tiny little titles than the vast majority of gamers will never even hear of to make the claim that "third party games are selling well" or "the Switch has great third party support", well that just makes your claim sound pretty weak in my eyes.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

2014-31

Compare that to Switch

Well that's the problem. These numbers don't line up with things like Wikipedia. They have 122 retail third party games listed between release and April 2014 in North America alone. You have 116 total retail. Counting Japanese those numbers increase. Breaking down by fiscal years shows more between April 13-Mar 14 than launch to Mar 13, according to the source I'm using, and that's assuming Wikipedias list are complete. Maybe you're using a better source than me, but that's what I have.

As for switch, I haven't looked the numbers up, because they're not pertinent to whether the Wii U sold more in year 2 than year 1. But to be honest, I know those numbers contain dozens of these sub-$15 indie games. If you want to, that's fine, but again, that's a very very low bar. You can call it shifting the goalposts all you want, but if you need to lump in these tiny little titles than the vast majority of gamers will never even hear of to make the claim that "third party games are selling well" or "the Switch has great third party support", well that just makes your claim sound pretty weak in my eyes.

Im using Nintendo's official IR page.

So you're going to brush off any legit data as "moving goalposts"

Nah man you're just being irrational.

Because switch is selling well(and it's not a wii).
Nintendo games are also tracking to be the best sellers of its series.

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Okay. So there's titles on Wikipedia that aren't on Nintendo's IR page, clearly. Should these games not count because they aren't on Nintendo's pages? I mean it's obvious that there is an objectively correct fact here. I'm just no longer sure which one of us have come to it. I'll concede that ground to you. It doesn't really matter much anyways. My entire point was about how low of a bar people are setting, and I used the Wii U as an example of that. If that one turns out to be poor - my bad. But there are still other platforms I could have used to illustrate my point, so it doesn't really make sense to get hung up on an example when it was one of many.

And I'm not brushing off any legit data as moving goalposts. Quite the opposite. I'm saying that me brushing off those titles can be seen as "moving the goalposts" , and I can understand that. But again, I'm poking fun at how low that bar is. If you need to dip into that pool to justify a point your making, it's a pretty shaky point in my opinion.

potato_hamster said:
zorg1000 said:

Okay. So there's titles on Wikipedia that aren't on Nintendo's IR page, clearly. Should these games not count because they aren't on Nintendo's pages? I mean it's obvious that there is an objectively correct fact here. I'm just no longer sure which one of us have come to it. I'll concede that ground to you. It doesn't really matter much anyways. My entire point was about how low of a bar people are setting, and I used the Wii U as an example of that. If that one turns out to be poor - my bad. But there are still other platforms I could have used to illustrate my point, so it doesn't really make sense to get hung up on an example when it was one of many.

And I'm not brushing off any legit data as moving goalposts. Quite the opposite. I'm saying that me brushing off those titles can be seen as "moving the goalposts" , and I can understand that. But again, I'm poking fun at how low that bar is. If you need to dip into that pool to justify a point your making, it's a pretty shaky point in my opinion.

What bar are you talking about ? We already know what the lowest bar is for Nintendo and 3rd parties, its the Wii U. That isn't people setting a bar, it is a bar that just exists.

Anything the Switch does has to be viewed in that light. Nobody has claimed yet that the Switch is selling Multiplats as well as the PS4 but it is selling well enough to justify further sale of such Multiplatforms  that have been released on it.