By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Why are third party games selling well on Switch?

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

But they are wrong, Switch dont have big number of AAA 3rd party games but most of those 3rd party games that are on system selling/sold quite well, games like Skyrim, Fifa, NBA, Doom, Dragon Ball, Sonic, Crash, RE, Octopath Traveler...sold/selling quite well on Switch.

4 of the games you listed there are not Western...  and I would say some of those games didn't exactly sell "well" either. It's not a concrete term so everyone has there own ideas. But tbh I wouldn't say Doom with 0.35m "Sold Well", or NBA with 0.38m "Sold Well". "Well" is better than "Ok" which is better than "Acceptable", I would probably classify Doom as "Acceptable."

But tbh I think it's just going to get worse, we'll see. But I feel like the next Fifa will sell worse on Switch than the current. The "New console, must buy everything!" affect is wearing off, and the amount of games to choose from is increasing.

That dont change fact they are selling, VGC numbers are not most accurate we all know that, and they dont include digital sales, T2 and Bethesda said they are satisfied with sales of their games on Switch, thats why we have NBA 2K19 and new Doom game for instance.

I dont see that how future games can sell worse when games on Switch still selling very werll and Switch istall base is rapidly growing, next year Switch will have much bigger install base with much more potential buyers, you sound like Switch install base is shrinking. You cant relly comparing sales of games on same platform with 10-15m install base and with 30-40-50m+ install base.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Alkibiádēs said:

It's probably time to stop posting buddy, nobody here takes you serious anymore. 

We get it, you like Playstation and don't like Nintendo, so nothing we say will ever convince you. 

If you want to believe the Vita gets better third party support than the Switch then that's just fine, but don't expect many people to take you seriously. 

Meanwhile I'll keep enjoying all these third party games that release on the Switch, whether they're AAA titles, indies, late ports or remasters. I don't discriminate, a good game is a good game. I've never played Okami before, so what do I care if it's a super late HD port?

lol. What? I don't care if you or Rol don't take me seriously. It's not like your opinions mean anything to me.

If you think I don't like Nintendo, you haven't been paying attention. Just because I've been critical of Nintendo's constant fuck ups over the past two decades, and refuse to buy into the notion that some of you subscribe to that had many if you believing that Nintendo and the games the make are damn near perfect doesn't mean I don't like most of their stuff. I've easily spent more hours over my life messing around on Nintendo Hardware over Playstation gear, so spare me the "fanboy" accusations.

Of course I don't believe the Vita had great third party support. It had terrible third party support! Yet in some meaningful ways, the support for the Vita was greater than the support for the Switch. What does that tell you about the Switch? If the PS4's notable third party games coming out or it in year two was as sparse as the Switches, you guys would be laughing at how sad third party support for the Playstation brand as gotten, and rightfully so! But on the Switch, that's something to be impressed by! Dark Souls! The Stick of Truth! FIFA 19! How much more could you possibly want? I can play all of those on my PS3!

It's such an embarrassingly low bar!

And guess what? I just picked up Kirby and Bayonetta for my Switch, and traded Pokken Tournament straight up for Mario Kart 8, so it looks like I'll keep using my switch and enjoying it as well.

The reason why nobody takes you serious (and I do mean nobody, not just me and Rol), you just state things without backing them up with arguments. Your posts are meaningless fluff. Please tell me how support for the Vita was greater than the Switch. Give me actual proof. 

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Miyamotoo said:
Barkley said:

4 of the games you listed there are not Western...  and I would say some of those games didn't exactly sell "well" either. It's not a concrete term so everyone has there own ideas. But tbh I wouldn't say Doom with 0.35m "Sold Well", or NBA with 0.38m "Sold Well". "Well" is better than "Ok" which is better than "Acceptable", I would probably classify Doom as "Acceptable."

But tbh I think it's just going to get worse, we'll see. But I feel like the next Fifa will sell worse on Switch than the current. The "New console, must buy everything!" affect is wearing off, and the amount of games to choose from is increasing.

That dont change fact they are selling, VGC numbers are not most accurate we all know that, and they dont include digital sales, T2 and Bethesda said they are satisfied with sales of their games on Switch, thats why we have NBA 2K19 and new Doom game for instance.

I dont see that how future games can sell worse when games on Switch still selling very werll and Switch istall base is rapidly growing, next year Switch will have much bigger install base with much more potential buyers, you sound like Switch install base is shrinking. You cant relly comparing sales of games on same platform with 10-15m install base and with 30-40-50m+ install base.

There's plenty of precedent for games selling worse on a higher install base.

SMG launched to an install base of 15.1m and sold 11.4m copies, SMG 2 launched to an install base of 70.37m and sold 7.57m.

So it had an install base almost 5 times larger but sold 44% less!

Higher Install Base doesn't necessarily mean Higher Sales for individual games. BOTW wouldn't have sold 40m if it launched to an install base of 100m.

I believe interest in third party titles such as Skyrim, Doom and Fifa will dissipate, or at least not increase substantially as the install base grows. Fifa is never going to be selling 3m+ on switch, even as it's install base grows to 80m or beyond. There are more games to choose from on Switch now, and the novelty of "ooh look we're actually getting western AAA games on a nintendo console!" will wear off.

Equally I think the people purchasing games like Fifa on the Switch aren't the type who will need to have the latest all the time. They have a Fifa game on the Switch and they probably won't bother upgrading to Fifa 19...20... etc.

Barkley said:
Miyamotoo said:

There's plenty of precedent for games selling worse on a higher install base.

SMG launched to an install base of 15.1m and sold 11.4m copies, SMG 2 launched to an install base of 70.37m and sold 7.57m.So it had an install base almost 5 times larger but sold 44% less!

Higher Install Base doesn't necessarily mean Higher Sales for individual games. BOTW wouldn't have sold 40m if it launched to an install base of 100m.

I believe interest in third party titles such as Skyrim, Doom and Fifa will dissipate, or at least not increase substantially as the install base grows. Fifa is never going to be selling 3m+ on switch, even as it's install base grows to 80m or beyond. There are more games to choose from on Switch now, and the novelty of "ooh look we're actually getting western AAA games on a nintendo console!" will wear off.

Equally I think the people purchasing games like Fifa on the Switch aren't the type who will need to have the latest all the time. They have a Fifa game on the Switch and they probably won't bother upgrading to Fifa 19...20... etc.

SMG was far more popular game than SMG2 ever was, and in 2010. when SMG2 was launched Wii popularity start fading. I dont saying that every game will sell much better on bigger install base beacuse there are plenty curcamntes taking in account, in most cases it's logical to say that game will sell better on higher install base than on lower especially when we talking about same platform.

Offcorse that doesnt mean that Zelda BotW would sell 40m, but actually Zelda BotW proves my point how growing install base is affecting sales of games, every quarter Zelda BotW is selling around 1m more.

Skyrim will keep selling very well, Doom sales will be affected buy Doom Eternal but Doom Eternal will most likly sell more than Doom, and Fifa 2019. will easily sell more than Fifa 18, beacuse now much more people will want Fifa for Switch. I wouldnt said never when we talk about Switch potential for selling HW and SW, Switch already done plenty of things that people were saying "never". Yes there will be more games to chouse, buy Fifa will remain most popular sports game on Switch, its not like someone will buy Fifa over Zelda, they are totally difrent games with different audience and apeling. You can bet that Switch will get more AAA games how install base is growing, not less, there is reason why Wii U left whithout 3rd party support in its 1st year while Switch in its second year is getting more and more 3rd party support.

Sales of Switch games show us that wide of vairaty of games are selling good on Switch, going from small Indies to big AAA games, its very clear that games on Switch are not selling in same way like they ware on past Nintendo consoles, almost everthing is selling on Switch.

Miyamotoo said:
potato_hamster said:

How do you know these games would sell better if the install base was bigger?

For example. Take the NBA 2K games on PS4.

NBA 2K16: 3.97M
NBA 2K17: 3.51M (install base increased by 21 million)
NBA 2K18: 3.19M (install base increased by over 10 million so far this year)

By your logic should the sales of these games increased year over year based on the increased install base, instead of decreasing?

You dont make sense, offcourse that one same game will sell more on one platform with 30m than on same platform with install base with 20m, every Switch game will have better sales when Switch install base is bigger compared to current numbers, also offcourse that every game on XB1/PS4/Switch/3DS has bigger sales because increased install base than it had last year.

Your comparision also dont make sense, first you comparing difrent games and second 2K16 was two years more in sale than 2K17 and one year more than 2K18, also 2K17 was one year longer in sale than 2K18.

potato_hamster said: 

You can find multiple third party developers publishers that are/were very happy with their game sales on Vita, Wii U, and pretty much every platform that has allowed developers to develop low budget games at low prices. Which means this argument gives zero credibility to the notion that "third party games are selling well on Switch". There's always going to be developers and publishers that are happy with the sales of games on 

Well it's growing for some devs, while holding steady one other devs, and declining for some other devs. You're only focusing on the developers where support is growing and acting like it represents the average third party developer.

Actually you will very hard find statments that publishers were very happy with their game sales on Vita and espacily Wii U, while with Switch have regulary that kind of statements even in second year, not to mentione that Wii U left without 3rd party in first year and Vita little longer, while Switch is getting increased support.

Also, its not point only about statments, you also have sales numbers for plenty of games where games sold better on Switch compared to XB1 or where Switch version of some games sold best. Also look at increasing announcements from 3rd parties for Switch, and numbers of relased games for Switch until now.

Do you know how annual sports games sales work? Over 95% of them are in the title's first year. NBA 2K16 didn't sell more than 2K17 because it's been out longer. That's not how it works at all.

As for third party game publishers being happy with their sales numbers, why do we need statements? The numbers do all the talking for it. All you have to do is look at the number of third party games that have been published on Vita on 2015, 2016, 2017 and now 2018. You'll see a lot of the same publishers still putting out multiple games a year. Do they hate money and like losing it putting out game after game after game on the Vita, or do they appear to be content even today? And again, this I DO NOT think third party games sold well on the Vita. I'm just using the same low standard people are using for the Switch and applying them to the Vita.

There was also plenty of games that sold better on Wii U compared to Xbox 360. Like the Just Dance series, many of the Lego series and Rayman Legends

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
Miyamotoo said:

You dont make sense, offcourse that one same game will sell more on one platform with 30m than on same platform with install base with 20m, every Switch game will have better sales when Switch install base is bigger compared to current numbers, also offcourse that every game on XB1/PS4/Switch/3DS has bigger sales because increased install base than it had last year.

Your comparision also dont make sense, first you comparing difrent games and second 2K16 was two years more in sale than 2K17 and one year more than 2K18, also 2K17 was one year longer in sale than 2K18.

Actually you will very hard find statments that publishers were very happy with their game sales on Vita and espacily Wii U, while with Switch have regulary that kind of statements even in second year, not to mentione that Wii U left without 3rd party in first year and Vita little longer, while Switch is getting increased support.

Also, its not point only about statments, you also have sales numbers for plenty of games where games sold better on Switch compared to XB1 or where Switch version of some games sold best. Also look at increasing announcements from 3rd parties for Switch, and numbers of relased games for Switch until now.

Do you know how annual sports games sales work? Over 95% of them are in the title's first year. NBA 2K16 didn't sell more than 2K17 because it's been out longer. That's not how it works at all.

As for third party game publishers being happy with their sales numbers, why do we need statements? The numbers do all the talking for it. All you have to do is look at the number of third party games that have been published on Vita on 2015, 2016, 2017 and now 2018. You'll see a lot of the same publishers still putting out multiple games a year. Do they hate money and like losing it putting out game after game after game on the Vita, or do they appear to be content even today? And again, this I DO NOT think third party games sold well on the Vita. I'm just using the same low standard people are using for the Switch and applying them to the Vita.

There was also plenty of games that sold better on Wii U compared to Xbox 360. Like the Just Dance series, many of the Lego series and Rayman Legends

I know, but older sports games are very often have huge deals and can be bought for few bucs will new ones cost $60, and again, you comparing difrent games not same.

We dont need them, but they also gave us one big picture. Vita rececing much less games than few years ago, Wii U dont rececing any games for quite time now.

Yeah, there are few examples that generaly sell well on Nintendo platforms in any case, but we dont talking about those games, no one mentione Just Dance and Lego like examples od good sales of 3rd party games on Switch.

Miyamotoo said:
potato_hamster said:

I know, but older sports games are very often have huge deals and can be bought for few bucs will new ones cost $60, and again, you comparing difrent games not same.

We dont need them, but they also gave us one big picture. Vita rececing much less games than few years ago, Wii U dont rececing any games for quite time now.

Yeah, there are few examples that generaly sell well on Nintendo platforms in any case, but we dont talking about those games, no one mentione Just Dance and Lego like examples od good sales of 3rd party games on Switch.

Why does it matter whether I'm comparing different games or not? I'm comparing similar games in the same series. If your logic is sound, games that come out with a higher install base should sell better than games with a lower install base, yet there are literally hundreds and hundreds examples of video game series where later selling games in that series sell worse on higher install bases, even well before that console's user base begins to migrate to other platforms.

So you need statements to "give you one big picture" but don't seem to recognize that a publisher that doesn't make a statement but is still putting out 2-3 Vita games in 2017 is letting their publishing make that statement for them. For what its worth, there was at least 77 Wii U games released in 2017, and at least 13 games released on Wii U this year. In fact, publisher RCMADIAX has released over 30 Wii U games, most of which were released after 2016. I suppose they must have been pretty happy with the the sales on the Wii U to release so many games on that platform over the years. That or they are sadistic and love lighting money on fire.

RolStoppable said:
potato_hamster said:

Well it's a good thing you have the internet, and you can easily look these things up! Have fun!

You said that third party support increased for Wii U in its second year and proceeded to name EA as an example. You said they released six games in two years.

Off the top of my head, EA released Mass Effect 3, Madden 13, FIFA 13 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted in year 1, so year 2 can't have more than two games. This constitutes a decrease and contradicts your original claim.

Since you were the one who made the claim to begin with ("More third party games on Switch being released in year 2 means nothing because support increased for Wii U as well."), you are the one who has to back it up. Your own cherry-picked example is verifiably wrong and the only way you can change that is by providing evidence that supports your claim.

As it stands, there's no reason whatsoever to believe the things you say because they are contradicted by facts.

What? Rol once again didn't actually read and comprehend what I wrote correctly and once again demands I support claims I never actually wrote, and if I don't Rol will continue to not believe the things I say, even though he already doesn't believe most of the things I say because it doesn't fit narrative he's constructed for me in his head? Whatever should I do?

Ohh right. Nothing. Because I still don't care what you think, Rol. Not even a little bit.

potato_hamster said:
RolStoppable said:

You said that third party support increased for Wii U in its second year and proceeded to name EA as an example. You said they released six games in two years.

Off the top of my head, EA released Mass Effect 3, Madden 13, FIFA 13 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted in year 1, so year 2 can't have more than two games. This constitutes a decrease and contradicts your original claim.

Since you were the one who made the claim to begin with ("More third party games on Switch being released in year 2 means nothing because support increased for Wii U as well."), you are the one who has to back it up. Your own cherry-picked example is verifiably wrong and the only way you can change that is by providing evidence that supports your claim.

As it stands, there's no reason whatsoever to believe the things you say because they are contradicted by facts.

What? Rol once again didn't actually read and comprehend what I wrote correctly and once again demands I support claims I never actually wrote, and if I don't Rol will continue to not believe the things I say, even though he already doesn't believe most of the things I say because it doesn't fit narrative he's constructed for me in his head? Whatever should I do?

Ohh right. Nothing. Because I still don't care what you think, Rol. Not even a little bit.

You 100% said that Wii U support grew in year 2 then later used EA as an example.

EA released 3 games at launch, 1 more a few months later then never released another Wii U game, they even went as far to say they had no plans for Wii U games a mere 6 months after launch.

As i showed in another post, Wii U got 44 games in the first fiscal year (Nov 12-Mar 13) and 50 games in the 2nd (Apr 13-Mar 14). When you take away 1st party titles Wii U had more 3rd party games in the first 4.5 months than it did in the following 12 months.

If you cant even follow your own arguments or back up any statements than why are you even here?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:

You 100% said that Wii U support grew in year 2 then later used EA as an example.

He did say WiiU Support grew in the 2nd year, he never said EA's support for it grew in the second year. He only said EA supported the WiiU better in it's first 2 years than Switch in it's first 2 years.

The EA example was to support his claim that WiiU had better third party support than Switch, not supporting his claim that the WiiU's second year was better than the first.

At least that was my take on it.