By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Storm knocked out my power last night, but the Switch keeps on gaming

You've convinced me. I'm going to buy a Switch just for those two days a year when the power goes out.

Around the Network

Haha yeah handy for those cases.
Im lately really urging to buy that console, sadly i need some cash first and Nintendo is expensive in games. :p

Gaming Is Unstoppable, man.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

JRPGfan said:
About a year ago... we had a power outage that lasted like 4 minuets and then power was back on.
Before that? I cant even remember. Its gotta have been like atleast 7years or more without a power outage.

4minuets once every 8+ years (in my case).... I wouldnt call it a huge benefit atleast.

Not every individual is going to have the same living experience.  In my case, I've lived in this house for 7 years.  One hurricane knocked out our power for 3 days.  I gamed heavily on my 3DS to pass the time those nights.  A storm very recently, within the past couple of months knocked it our for almost 24 hours.

Signalstar said:
If the power goes out I have other things I am worried. Gaming is way down on the list.

There comes a point in a power outage where you confirm that everything is fine and everyone is okay and you are just waiting for the power to come back on.  Gaming, or reading a book by flashlight help pass that time.  Not every second of a power outage is a life or death situation for many people.

Around the Network

Not a huge benefit in most places, but definitely neat anyway.

Hiku said:
KLAMarine said:

Phone as a power outlet?

Haha, sorry I meant I used my phone instead of devices like my PC or TV because those were hooked up to a power outlet.

Ah, I see... Thanks.

aye, handy out, have done this before during a scheduled cut, even popped my phone on the desk next to me as a wifi spot and continued playing online. Li-Ion is great.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Mandalore76 said:

And at one point, the power went out completely.  I plucked my Nintendo Switch out of the dock, laid back on the couch and proceeded gaming.  While doing so, the thought came into my head of all the people who say that Nintendo Switch's portability has "zero" value to them, and they would never use it under any circumstances.  I have an Xbox One, but in a power outage, it's as dead as my TV, lights, and everything else that requires to fed by the power lines.  I've also heard people say that the crossplay between the PS4 and Vita is the same experience that the Switch provides.  But to my knowledge, the PS4 would have to be running at all times, and the Vita would have to be connected to WiFi for that to work. 

There are a lot of good Vita games you could play in such a situation which don't need remote play.

Other devices you can play on during a power outage: 3DS, PSP, DS, GBA, smartphone, tablet, laptop... this feature is no unique selling point for the Switch.

Conina said:
Mandalore76 said:

And at one point, the power went out completely.  I plucked my Nintendo Switch out of the dock, laid back on the couch and proceeded gaming.  While doing so, the thought came into my head of all the people who say that Nintendo Switch's portability has "zero" value to them, and they would never use it under any circumstances.  I have an Xbox One, but in a power outage, it's as dead as my TV, lights, and everything else that requires to fed by the power lines.  I've also heard people say that the crossplay between the PS4 and Vita is the same experience that the Switch provides.  But to my knowledge, the PS4 would have to be running at all times, and the Vita would have to be connected to WiFi for that to work. 

There are a lot of good Vita games you could play in such a situation which don't need remote play.

Other devices you can play on during a power outage: 3DS, PSP, DS, GBA, smartphone, tablet, laptop... this feature is no unique selling point for the Switch.

Nice job of intentionally cutting out that I specifically said:

"Something I couldn't do with anything other than a solely portable/mobile platform."

I have a 3DS, all the other Nintendo handhelds, and an iPhone.  And, I've used them all in power outages in the past.  But, my point had nothing to do with strictly portable devices..  My point was that I was able to continue playing the same console game save file that was on my tv screen right before the power outage, during the power outage.  I was pretty specific about that, but somehow it still managed to go right over your head.