By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Storm knocked out my power last night, but the Switch keeps on gaming

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

Not every individual is going to have the same living experience.  In my case, I've lived in this house for 7 years.  One hurricane knocked out our power for 3 days.  I gamed heavily on my 3DS to pass the time those nights.  A storm very recently, within the past couple of months knocked it our for almost 24 hours.

3h battery hardly helps on 3 days power outtage.

Let's see, if in a given 24 hour period I'm asleep until 7am, commute + work shift puts me out of the house until 5pm, an hour in the park with my dog until 6pm, bathroom routine (shower, shave, etc) till about 6:30pm, done with dinner by around 7:30pm, leaves me less than 5 hours of free time to kill.  Yeah, the Switch filling 3 hours of that time per day (with recharge at work the following day) helps a lot actually.  That's 9 hours more of game-time than I'd get on any other console during that timeframe.  

Around the Network

its hurricane season here in florida, i know what you mean OP. its nice to have. I used the dock once, i prefer handheld mode.

when a hurricane comes through its usually about a week or more without power. i do have a generator, but that is to keep the refrigerator cold, some fans and a tv. i do have cable and that is usually out as long if not longer than power. so the switch does come in handy, no online needed.

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

Let's see, if in a given 24 hour period I'm asleep until 7am, commute + work shift puts me out of the house until 5pm, an hour in the park with my dog until 6pm, bathroom routine (shower, shave, etc) till about 6:30pm, done with dinner by around 7:30pm, leaves me less than 5 hours of free time to kill.  Yeah, the Switch filling 3 hours of that time per day (with recharge at work the following day) helps a lot actually.  That's 9 hours more of game-time than I'd get on any other console during that timeframe.  

If you want to use company or other place to charge your Switch, them just as fine someone can say just play in your friend, lan house, etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

If you want to use company or other place to charge your Switch, them just as fine someone can say just play in your friend, lan house, etc.

You are comparing recharging a device at work, where I am obligated to be for 40 hours a week anyway, to asking someone if I can unplug my Xbox One and live in their house and take over exclusive use of their main TV set?  LOL.  Yeah, they are not remotely comparable situations.  Not even close.

I'm happy you're enjoying it and it sure is neat and all,but this is a thing since the game boy days, it's the basic of portability. when people say they don't see advantage on the portability of the switch, i don't think they don't see potential use in emergency situations like that, it's just that they're like to game in really big tv's and anything other than that is unnaceptable or not worth the investiment for them, so this is not really a good argument.

In a personal note tho, i love portable gaming. Gba, ds and 3ds are a giant part of my life, and i'm enoying the vita now as well(because of p4g).

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

You are comparing recharging a device at work, where I am obligated to be for 40 hours a week anyway, to asking someone if I can unplug my Xbox One and live in their house and take over exclusive use of their main TV set?  LOL.  Yeah, they are not remotely comparable situations.  Not even close.

When you want to make how incredible the system is because you'll take value of it on a very unlikely situation for most people, sure.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

Not every individual is going to have the same living experience.  In my case, I've lived in this house for 7 years.  One hurricane knocked out our power for 3 days.  I gamed heavily on my 3DS to pass the time those nights.  A storm very recently, within the past couple of months knocked it our for almost 24 hours.

I usually have at least one of my two power banks fully charged. That extends the 3 - 4 hours (depending on the game) to 9 - 12 hours. My Vita Slim or 3DS XL run even ~30 hours with the power bank, my OLED Vita 20 - 25 hours.

Conina said:
DonFerrari said:

I usually have at least one of my two power banks fully charged. That extends the 3 - 4 hours (depending on the game) to 9 - 12 hours. My Vita Slim or 3DS XL run even ~30 hours with the power bank, my OLED Vita 20 - 25 hours.

Still isn't much on a full 3 days. But you ended up giving much better solutions.

So yep If I was looking to play through power outage I would rather pick up the Vita I paid 50 bucks than do all the sacrifices on the HW that I use daily just in case I get a power outage of 3 days that never happened in 30 years of my life. The closest I got was 1 month without power at my house because of problems on the provider, but I was more worried at lack of light to read, battery for cellphone and cold bath than if I would be playing on console or HH =p

HintHRO said:
I will now pay 320 euros for Wii U specifications and buy more expensive, heavily downgraded Bethesda games released a year later than other versions in case my power goes down for a few minutes once every 10 years.

There is hardware with Wii U specifications that costs 320 euros!?

Its an amazing system and deserves its credit. Playing Mario Kart 8 in your hands just looks sensational. Nothing really like it. I love my Switch. Itscthe console that brought me back to Nintendo.