By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valkyria Chronicles 4 Demo Out Now on PS4/XB1/Switch

Chazore said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I wasn't going to mention it, but sadly there's no demo for PC. 

It's par the course for Sega at this point.

In all honesty at this stage I wait for Skidrow to release the "demo" for the PC if it's only available there. Only real way to try before you buy.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Well, after four hours of the demo, I'm sold. The game is pretty much the exact same as Valkyria Chronicles 1, except it has a different story, and a new combat type. It runs just fine on Switch except that mousing over allied and enemy units is buggy. But if you hit Y to select units manually that is not an issue. Also, it might just be a problem with my analog stick acting up. 

RolStoppable said:
I have the same problem with the sight lines as in Codename S.T.E.A.M. - There is no clear indication whether enemies will react to you or not until it's too late. In chapter 1 I had Riley get killed because a turret guy decided to shoot at her when before multiple other units could run through the same area unharmed. I revived her, switched to her and she got killed on the spot again. I revived her again, switched to her and that time the enemy didn't decide to fire, so I could run a few meters backwards and try to take out the turret from there. There's no consistent logic.

The battles are also on the slow side and the option to repeatedly use the same unit in the same turn makes half of the deployed units pretty pointless. I didn't like the game in the prologue and chapter 1, but warmed up to it a little in chapter 2. Still, this isn't close to €60 good and it releases in proximity to the Xenoblade 2 expansion, so I can easily wait with a purchase.

You're supposed to take the turret guys out at a distance. Riley outranges the turret guys easily. And they're so high up, that it's really hard to see which direction they are facing. 

Using the same units repeatedly lowers their AP for the next turn, so there is a tradeoff between using every unit, and pushing a small group of four. 

Just for the hell of it I gave the Switch demo a go, and even as somebody who doesn't really like this kind of game, I was impressed how enjoyable it was.

I hope it sells well so that more Japanese third parties put their games on Switch.

curl-6 said:

Just for the hell of it I gave the Switch demo a go, and even as somebody who doesn't really like this kind of game, I was impressed how enjoyable it was.

I hope it sells well so that more Japanese third parties put their games on Switch.

I'm pretty shocked that Persona 5, and Ni No Kuni II aren't on Switch. I mean, we've got Ys VIII, DBFighterZ and Disgaea 5, so why not those games? 

Cerebralbore101 said:

Well, after four hours of the demo, I'm sold. The game is pretty much the exact same as Valkyria Chronicles 1, except it has a different story, and a new combat type. It runs just fine on Switch except that mousing over allied and enemy units is buggy. But if you hit Y to select units manually that is not an issue. Also, it might just be a problem with my analog stick acting up. 

I had the same issue. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't.

Around the Network

Great to hear the demo is good. I think I'm going to wait for the full release before playing the game myself though.

played demo loved it..will buy after i complete valkyria 1 tho

I remember the first game being really amazing when I played it, so yeah, really excited for this one.

RolStoppable said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

You're supposed to take the turret guys out at a distance. Riley outranges the turret guys easily. And they're so high up, that it's really hard to see which direction they are facing. 

Using the same units repeatedly lowers their AP for the next turn, so there is a tradeoff between using every unit, and pushing a small group of four. 

The cursor doesn't care about the center of a circle and instead wants the player to move over the top left of any given circle. It's illogical programming.

And yes, I knew that the turret guys need to be taken out from a distance, but when multiple units were able to pass unharmed, then it doesn't make sense that Riley got targeted the way she was. There should be a color for sight lines that tells the player if enemies are already in range to strike. Yellow for being seen isn't of much help because it could mean anything.

Usage of a group of four is much more effective than using every unit. The CP and AP system only really penalizes the player for using only one or two characters.

Well either you found a bug, or there was a half foot distance between getting shot, and not getting shot. Those turrets may have a specific angle of attack, so if you move just a foot closer to the wall, or your character is a bit shorter you might fall outside of their range. This would be due to the turrets only being able to swivel down so far, before aiming at nothing but the brick below them. 

If you only use four characters you won't get units to fire in tandem. When two characters like each other they will both fire, whenever their nearby friend fires. Also, you won't get as much suppressive fire on enemy turns by having a single unit in one spot. Keep in mind, this is the tutorial, and there are much harder scenarios in the finalized game. Try getting through the snow level with a squad of four, in four turns. 

Playing through the tutorial, I think I am liking this. Getting it is another matter entirely though, but I like it.