By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Games that won you over

Just finished the Devil May Cry reboot. I didn't try it sooner because people were so mad at it. Why was this again? Its one of the best hack`n slash games Ive ever played. Its on Bayonetta level of awesome.

Around the Network

In that vein? Monster Hunter Tri.
I got it because it was receiving quite a bit of critical acclaim in the Wii. Played around 10 hours and I hated it. Chase small monsters and collect 20 mushrooms? Awful.
I eventually gave it another chance and then after that point it took off and I ended with 300+ hours.

Mass Effect Andromeda. At first I was like meh but a couple hours in and I was invested in the story and characters. The gameplay is also hands down the best in the series. Game got a lot of bullshit hate but it definitely still has it's fans me included.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

I don't think there are many such games. I guess Doom 3 kind of counts. I mean, I did like it even originally, but I couldn't get into it properly. Then when I played it later, I could. Something just clicked better. Another example is the Ratchet & Clank series, which I found fairly bland when I played it originally, but when I tried again last year, it was actually pretty fun. I mean, I didn't dislike it or anything in the first place, but I just didn't particularly like it either. There might be others as well, but that's all I can think of right now.

I also strongly suspect that the Paradox grand strategy games would be a good fit in this category if I had the time to play them. I've tried them in the past but haven't had the time to really learn them, so I haven't got into them - but I really suspect I would, had I the time. I'm not sure if that really counts in the spirit of this thread though...

Shin Megami Tensei IV: My first game of the series and I was not expecting how difficult it would be, I gave up at Medusa. After a couple months I returned to game and pretty much become obsessed. I love the battle mechanics, the story was intriguing and I loved all the demons you could recruit. I really liked how the game challenged me on my decision making and morals and I managed to grind enough so that Normal difficulty wasn't an issue. I managed to get the neutral ending somehow (didnt know my choices actually meant anything lol) and had alot of fun seeing how things would play out. Currently one of my favorite 3DS games.

Around the Network

Octopath Traveller, I had no intentions in picking it up, but when I tried it, I couldn't believe how good that game really is.

This is an interesting subject. For me especially because I can tell if I'll like the game within 30 seconds of playing it. I'll give it more time and the benefit of the doubt but very rarely will I be won over. Very rarely. The last time I can remember that happening was with Halo 1. I had no clue what an Xbox or Halo was at the time because I took a hiatus from gaming. I remember playing the game and thinking....this is good...but not what people say it is. The rest is history. It's one of the few franchises I can hold my own in. By that I mean I'm pretty fcckin dangerous in it. But yeah, definitely Halo.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

Bristow9091 said:
Darashiva said:
2) Resonance of Fate. A similar story with this one. Played for around 10 hours when it was release, but the punishing difficulty, complex battle system and the very slowly opening story eventually just drove me away. I came back a few years later and ended up finishing and really liking it. I think it's a seriously underrated JRPG from the previous generation.

I've still never finished this, I love the idea of the battle system, and it's very cinematic and flashy, cool to look at too... but man, the opening hours killed it for me, it started off way too slow, and the difficulty just ramped up out of nowhere too. I tried it twice, but never got too far before giving up, so it remains unbeaten to this day, lol. I'd probably give it another try sometime if I could dig my copy out though, or if for some reason it was remastered or released on PC.

That's pretty much it. The fact that the game's first boss is one of the most difficult ones in it is pretty stupid, and there are a few later ones that ramp up the difficulty way too much way too fast. I really think its a very good game that's worth playing, but i can understand why a lot of people haven't ever finished it. I almost never finished it myself either, until I forced myself to push through one of the difficulty spikes.

Final Fantasy XIII is as good of an example as any for me. I was dumbstruck with boredom in the first few hours. It takes sooooo long for the true greatness of the battle system to reveal itself. It's always moving forward in this regard, but it's the most ludicrously slow burn in gaming history. The stories and characters were also slow-ish in getting my interest, but eventually, I bought all the body pillows. Mom's are tough!

@m0ney. I'm a huge Hitman fan, and also loved Absolution. The save system was garbage at times, negating my effort to acquire the appropriate disguise, and starting me off in the worst possible outfit upon booting up the game again. In the end, it was another great entry to me, with a very satisfying hard mode playthrough. Also, Fallout 3 was the exact opposite for me. I loved it until it drove me to the brink of insanity. Broken, unplayable mess, one of my worst experiences in gaming ever, and the last Bethesda developed game I have or ever will buy. *%$!

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Also, Fallout 3 was the exact opposite for me. I loved it until it drove me to the brink of insanity. Broken, unplayable mess, one of my worst experiences in gaming ever, and the last Bethesda developed game I have or ever will buy. *%$!

I see that, but I played it on PC on god mode and with unlimited companions, they were killing all the bad guys and monsters for me.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.